Sisters bad Toyota experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think Leo99's(who posted earlier) 04 Rav4 with 333k miles has been making a growling noise for the last 100k miles or so iirc. Another family member drives it.

Every time I drive it, I tell my wife it's making growling noises when the tranny shifts to 2nd gear and there is a clunk on occasion when it down shifts. She poo-poos me and tells me it's been making those growling noises for years and she doesn't hear any clunking. She's in denial that it's getting worse but it keeps on running and the wife is happy.

I've tried 3 times to get the rear differential filler cap off to no avail. It will live its life out with the factory fill in the rear. The front transfer case leaks so it gets a top off every 3 months.

Sounds similar to the AWD Matrix/Vibe noise. Could be the same part. Here is South Main Auto doing the repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOd40uoc1SU

Ungrateful, I agree.
Others lose power steering pumps, water pumps, radiators, ECUs, transmissions and even engines by that mileage.

A major hard part failure after only nine years and 143K?
I wouldn't be too impressed.
That Toyota wouldn't warranty it doesn't surprise me.
Why would they?
A failure after what they would see as many years and miles in a moderately priced car seems acceptable.
Your sister should have looked at her options when faced with the rear end.
She might have found a far less costly solution outside of the dealership.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: madRiver
My sister had a 2008 Rav 4 with i4/Awd and 143,000 miles. She had okay service with it except for failed steering column that she paid $700 out of pocket but latter reimbursed. The next issue was grinding rear diff. The mechanic we use found out there was extended program to fix which sadly my sister missed window by 3 days (9 years from in service) . Toyota "care" stated too bad and she was stuck with $2k repair to replace and another $1k in related area fixes due to rot so more involved.

She now has vowed never to buy Toyota which Toyota care did not care about and thankfully Honda dealer handed her $5.5k in trade in as grinding diff stayed quiet for dealer trade valuation. She drives a 2017 Crv now.

Every time I hear this [censored] Mazda keeps sounding a little better!

Mazda is at or near the top of every review out there. Excellent vehicles since they got away from Ford.

I am the original owner of an 03 CRV and now have 205,000 miles on it. It's my daily driver and very dependable. I hope your sister has many happy miles motoring around in her CRV!!!!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, it went 143,000 miles before she had to pay for a major repair?

And she lives in the rust belt, so it has rust, too?

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

+1 !!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, it went 143,000 miles before she had to pay for a major repair?

And she lives in the rust belt, so it has rust, too?

And you think the CRV will last longer before rust or a major out of pocket repair?

Good luck....

My '08 CRV with nearly 250k miles in the salt Capitol Michigan has little rust and has never had a major (or minor) mechanical repair that was required to maintain its ability to drive. Yes, I've had to replace many wear items in that time-but they're all normal and expected.

Interesting what passed as acceptable after only 143k/10yrs. Toyota acknowledged a poor design twice over with their campaigns.

I have 167k in 07 mdx and most major repair was $200 abs sensor. Belt tensioner ($100), muffler bolts($50) and Ac relay($10) otherwise failed. Mdx does have rust though which will be demise.

$3000 repairs on 10 year old vehicles seem nuts to me but I have only owned Honda myself.

The $3000 repair was not dealer but a $65/hr mechanic! He directed her to dealer/Toyota care to see if coverage was possible.

Not trying to be crass since you are complaining on behalf of your sister, but it sounds like Toyota probably came out ahead on losing your sister as a customer.

Toyotas and Hondas can break like everything else. My experience is they usually break less frequently, but if you need any help from the dealership even under warranty forget it.

Hondas and Toyotas are good vehicles, but the dealership arrogance and attitude of corporate is ridiculous. Our local Honda dealer has a "no haggle" policy and say their cars sell themselves. If you have any issues with it, or in my mom's case they majorly screw up during a service, they blame the customer for everything.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That thing is a peach compared to some cars I've experienced.

When did she last change the diff fluid?
It never was maintained, was it?

The diff not sure but the transmission fluid, oil changes and plugs/air filter yes.

Her rub was not failure but that 3 days past no leeway from Toyota. Apparently these diffs fail early on and have uncovered leaky seals(hers also).

My sister had a 2008 Rav 4 with i4/Awd and 143,000 miles. She had okay service with it except for failed steering column that she paid $700 out of pocket but latter reimbursed. The next issue was grinding rear diff. The mechanic we use found out there was extended program to fix which sadly my sister missed window by 3 days (9 years from in service) . Toyota "care" stated too bad and she was stuck with $2k repair to replace and another $1k in related area fixes due to rot so more involved.

She now has vowed never to buy Toyota which Toyota care did not care about and thankfully Honda dealer handed her $5.5k in trade in as grinding diff stayed quiet for dealer trade valuation. She drives a 2017 Crv now.

Well, if "her mechanic" is not the dealer, why would they bend over backwards for her? Warranties and extended warranties are to the day, anything beyond that is dealer goodwill. The dealers only get so much goodwill to use per month, if you are not a good service customer, they are not going to use it on you.

Hopefully she takes better care of the CRV. Not changing the rear diff fluid on time in that vehicle will require a [censored] of a lot more than $2k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Quote:
Every time I hear this [censored] Mazda keeps sounding a little better!

Some years ago the transmission on my Mazda 626 bought new with 50K warranty went out at 51K. Mazda said, in effect, [censored] No more Mazda's for me.
My I think 91 626 flat rock made ... trans went out. Not Impressed with Mazda - though that was a FORD-MAZDA. Don't like the older Miata much, the early smaller ones (1.6L) were better.

I guess everything is garbage now compared to the late 1980s or of course the mid sixties

The diff not sure but the transmission fluid, oil changes and plugs/air filter yes.

Her rub was not failure but that 3 days past no leeway from Toyota. Apparently these diffs fail early on and have uncovered leaky seals(hers also).
A buddy of mine is a mechanic. 2 years ago one of his customers had a 2010 VW CC and it broke down. It got towed to a VW dealer and they couldn't get to it for 2 days. The day it was towed in was coincidentally it's last day of powertrain warranty, had about 52k miles. What had happened was the timing chain guides went bad (faulty design on the VW 2.0). Valves clashed with the pistons, and technically it was out of warranty when they got to it by 2 days, even though it was towed to the dealer on the last day of warranty. VW wanted somewhere around $4,500 to fix it.

VW denied the claim at 52k miles and the car was towed to my mechanic for a new head and timing chain setup.

Now THAT'S bad. 143k miles for a never before serviced differential to die? Meh, not that bad. There's always one bad apple.

Now THAT'S bad. 143k miles for a never before serviced differential to die? Meh, not that bad. There's always one bad apple.

Agreed. Differentials are one of the most overlooked power train item on a vehicle. Most fail because they begin to leak and the factory original fluid eventually gets too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back