Since my New K&N is Korean, How about Penzoil Plat

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Poster, but longtime Reader of Bob's Oil !
Was shocked to see that my New K&N HP-2010 oil filter is now Korean made.

Trying to do a little asking around for my 2011 Ram Big Horn for a different oil filter next time.
Already decided to use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Oil !

Is this made in the U.S.A.??
Pennzoil HPZ-173 Platinum Spin-on Oil Filter

Quote:
Exclusive Synthetic blended Two-ply gradient density filter media is engineered to remove 99 percent * of engine oil impurities and trap up to 36 grams of contaminants based on industry tests
An oil filter so good it meets or exceeds proposed industry specifications for capacity and efficiency
A premium oil change calls for a premium oil filter

Well technically Pennzoil is owned by Royal Dutch Shell, which is a British company. Are you asking where it is actually refined, blended, or both? Typically it says right on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Well technically Pennzoil is owned by Royal Dutch Shell, which is a British company. Are you asking where it is actually refined, blended, or both? Typically it says right on the bottle.

I think he means the filter.

My HPZ-37 says: "Made in the USA of domestic and foreign components"

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: dparm

I think he means the filter.

My HPZ-37 says: "Made in the USA of domestic and foreign components"

My mistake.

Sounds like the Pennzoil filter is assembled in the US, but the components are likely coming from China or somewhere else.

The K&N HP-2001 I bought yesterday is made in Mexico; the one I bought in February is Made in USA.

If I would have caught that, I wouldn't have left the store with it.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
So Korean manufactured filters are inferior? Has anyone cut open one of these new Korean K&N filters?

Here is a thread that goes into more depth on it. LINK

Yup,since I've heard the news,I'll no longer use K&N oil filters.

I'll be using either Amsoil,Fram Ultra,Motorcraft,or the Royal Purple oil filters.

luckily i already have a "lifetime" supply of filters for my car(6mo OCI, plan on another 4 years of ownership), all made in the USA.(8 Wix, 3 Bosch, 1 Mobil 1, 1 PureOne, 1 Mopar, 1 Quakerstate, 1 Motorcraft.)

What a bunch of zenophobes!

With this thinking, you better chuck your phone, camera, keyboard, monitor, TV, desktop, laptop, tablet, and a whole lot more.

I wish all of the products I buy would be made here in the US . . . or some other place where standards of quality, decency and so-called "human rights" are more than lip service.

Now, it seems the norm that clocks no longer keep time, scissors no longer cut, electronics bug out and you realize that the "warranty" . . . well, really isn't a warranty at all. And it's all stuff made in China, apparently so inexpensive (cheap) that the outsourcers know we won't bother returning it for a refund - even if we could. The last spark plug tool I purchased twisted like a pretzel when I tried to adjust the gap. Thank you, American company that crows about its origins but shamelessly outsources to China!

Now I just feel privileged to have access to decent Taiwanese tools at AutoZone instead of the rapidly-declining quality of "Craftsman" tools now made in China, even though they still say "Made in the USA" on the posters in the store.

Sensitive enough to know that I sound like an old crank and smart enough to know that we're all being played.

Frankly, it won't be long until the day when you're happy that you can buy filters made in Korea. And that won't last long because there's always some other down-trodden population that will work for slave wages.

Sorry for the rant but I'm starting to be thankful for my mortality (and the fact that I don't have children). Of course, I hope I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: user52165
What a bunch of zenophobes!

With this thinking, you better chuck your phone, camera, keyboard, monitor, TV, desktop, laptop, tablet, and a whole lot more.

You won't find it so funny, when you get a little older & Big Pharma is using Chinese & Korean fish bones & heads, chicken bone ground up in your medicines !

Or your republican outsourced ricey car falls apart 'cause bad oil filter failed..

Or your child gets sick from play'n with lead painted toys..
Oh so many things !
You not so funny then ! huh ??
smirk.gif

Don't know about the Korean K&N, but the Korean Hyundai OEM filter is pretty good quality.
Recently surprised that my Kendall GT-1 Full synthetic 5w-20 SN oil says its a product of Korea.

Thankfully the last 2 K&N AIR Filters I've received were both made in the U.S.A.

The Mexican & Korea OIL Filters were really disappointing for me to receive !

If they make the filters by the same specs with the same materials they might be acceptable. However I read where filtration rates have taken a beating..

I'm sick'n tired of these Big Bus. people outsourcing our U.S. jobs.. It's B.S.

So,, NO MORE k&n oil filters for me ! You've worn out your welcome k&N !
Not Welcomed in my Garage anymore !

That's why i'm searching for it's Successor !!

Originally Posted By: OlPalGary
Thankfully the last 2 K&N AIR Filters I've received were both made in the U.S.A.

The Mexican & Korea OIL Filters were really disappointing for me to receive !

If they make the filters by the same specs with the same materials they might be acceptable. However I read where filtration rates have taken a beating..

I'm sick'n tired of these Big Bus. people outsourcing our U.S. jobs.. It's B.S.

So,, NO MORE k&n oil filters for me ! You've worn out your welcome k&N !
Not Welcomed in my Garage anymore !

That's why i'm searching for it's Successor !!

Relax, just go find a filter made in the USA, eat a hamburger, drink a PBR, then change your oil. I used to think I had some control in my life but I'm happier knowing I really don't. Right now, I'm just glad I have some choices.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I thought the K&N was identical to the Mobil 1 filters... both being made by Champion Labs?

This is what I thought too - the filters and boxes look identical.

Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge can fill us in. Did K&N move from Champion to Fram for a brief period??

^^^^Old news now. Ranks Group buys Champ, then later buys Fram. Now Champ listed under bigger/better known Fram banner though construction still Champ made design.

K&N goes to another manufacturer, not Rank Group.

Afaik, M1 still Champ made under Fram banner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back