Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

For a few $$ more, get a 3500 instead of a 2500. I think the L5P with the 10 speed is a no brainer except when it's 30 below and you can't plug the block heater in. Make sure you get the 275/65/20 tires.

Depreciation costs are part of ownership. They are arguably the most expensive part of owning a car. Not maintenance, not insurance, not fuel, not anything else.

Depreciation of a heavy duty truck will be 10's of thousands. It could buy a lot of engines, transmissions, tires, brakes, fuel. You know, the items everyone likes to fret the most. Many get worked up about MPG ratings within a few points of each other, or potential minor problems in the future, but then look the other way at the value flying out the window every time the wheels turn.

That said, considering depreciation cost in the decision is wise.

Last edited:
Depreciation costs are part of ownership. They are arguably the most expensive part of owning a car. Not maintenance, not insurance, not fuel, not anything else.

Depreciation of a heavy duty truck will be 10's of thousands. It could buy a lot of engines, transmissions, tires, brakes, fuel. You know, the items everyone likes to fret the most. Many get worked up about MPG ratings within a few points of each other, or potential minor problems in the future, but then look the other way at the value flying out the window every time the wheels turn.

That said, considering depreciation cost in the decision is wise.
There comes a point in everyone's life when they are sick of fixing cigarette smelling rust bucket cars & trucks on the side of the road. Then doing it all over again when the kids start driving. There was a time when I figured I could assemble and install a SBC blindfolded. Now I just buy new, both for my self and spoilt brats.
I do not care how much the vehicle is worth 20 years from the date of purchase. By then I'll just go out and get another new one.

^^^nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting buying an old rust bucket.

The point is that, even if you don't use it up until it's an old rust bucket, the rates of depreciation are different between makes and models. Or, in this case, gas vs diesel. That's worth a lot for those value oriented. It does deserve some consideration when choosing.

The Diesel trucks cost more new, but in return hold their value perhaps more than the difference in cost. The dealerships don't want cheap base-model work trucks as trade-ins. Put a used High Country or Denali 3500 Diesel on the lot, and it's gone in a day. So it's all relivant. Pay more then get back more in the end, or just enjoy the ride.

The Diesel trucks cost more new, but in return hold their value perhaps more than the difference in cost. The dealerships don't want cheap base-model work trucks as trade-ins. Put a used High Country or Denali 3500 Diesel on the lot, and it's gone in a day. So it's all relivant. Pay more then get back more in the end, or just enjoy the ride.
So what was your initial point, again? Do you anything to say about gas vs diesel, the OPs topic?

I've bought 3 Duramax trucks: 2006 3500 LT CC LB LBZ, 2011 2500 XC RB LML and a 2018 3500 High Country CC/RB L5P.
I drove enough 2015-2017 HD GMCs with the 6.0L 6 speed with 4.10 gears at the railroad to know that I wouldn't want one.
The 6.6L gas HDs are starting to show up and the guys say that they have a lot more power than the 6.0s.
I didn't ask about fuel economy, the employees leave the engines ideling all day at work sites.
I found the 6.0s to be pigs on fuel and gutless compared to the Duramax's.

Too bad about the Green Bay Packers eh? Maybe next year.

Sounds like we are on the same page, suggesting diesel over gas.

I haven't watched a sports game of any type in 8 years. I despise the money and the overall importance placed on professional sports.

Back