Diesel vs Gas pickup trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dodge heavy duty's are the best looking in my opinion, now that Cummins has upgraded to 800 lb ft of torque and the auto tranny is improved, Ford and Chevy better look-out. The next heavy duty comparison may turn out differently.

Cummins has always been the shiz-nit, now that the Dodge trucks are a whole lot nicer than they used to be, it deserves a hard look. I think Ford has had Cummins envy for the last 15 years, Ford's gone through 4 diesel designs in 15 years.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
... I think Ford has had Cummins envy for the last 15 years, Ford's gone through 4 diesel designs in 15 years.

crackmeup2.gif

I used to wonder why they didn't just stick a Navistar badge on their diesel trucks.
Or why GM didn't play up the Detroit Diesel thing before the Duramax
21.gif

Now it makes sense. GM doesn't want powered by ISUZU and GM in a collaborative effort any more than Ford wants "Diesel designed in part by Anstalt für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen List" on their trucks

I have been very happy with my 02 Silverado 2500HD. 6.0 4L80E.
Not sure how much you tow, But it does very well with my 25 foot 7500 lbs fifth wheel. I went 440 miles round trip Memorial day with the trailer and averaged just over 10 mpg. I think it looks better than the Ford and Dodge while doing it.
smile.gif

ready2.jpg

Not sure how much you want to spend or what year you are looking at, but up until this year the 6.0 gasser was about the best truck you could for towing if you didn't go big block or diesel. Now the gassers are all pretty close. Not only that Chevy and Ford have the six speeds in the gassers which have only helped them to tow better. Less gear hunting.
Not sure why you need a Diesel for 2500 lbs. Now I could see if for the 32 foot trailer, but the guys I work with are towing a 8500 32 foot trailer with my exact truck and the other one is towing a 7900 lbs 29 foot trailer with an F-150 5.4.

ls1mike, I'm assuming you're close to sea level? In that case, a gasser can tow just fine.

However, come on up to the Colorado Rockie's at 10,000+ feet with that load and it will take you about 10 minutes to yearn for a diesel. You'll lose 35% of you're power at this altitude. That's why my dad sold his F-150 and bought a Cummins Dodge, the 150 couldn't hack it, pulling the camper and quads up 11,000 foot passes. The turbo diesel, barely even breath's hard.

ls1mike, I'm assuming you're close to sea level? In that case, a gasser can tow just fine.

However, come on up to the Colorado Rockie's at 10,000+ feet with that load and it will take you about 10 minutes to yearn for a diesel. You'll lose 35% of you're power at this altitude. That's why my dad sold his F-150 and bought a Cummins Dodge, the 150 couldn't hack it, pulling the camper and quads up 11,000 foot passes. The turbo diesel, barely even breath's hard.

Dude I towed over the 4 passes last summer. Snoqualime, Lookout pass, 4th of July Pass and the Contienal divide last summer.
Yellowstone is at 8500 feet.
Plus I live on in Washington State Plenty of nice passes around here.

Anyway I towed this same trailer with an 89 GMC 1 ton 454 TBI rated at 215 Hp and 325 ft/lbs of torque. Even on The Continetial divide that truck didn't go under 50 mph. Sure it was working but you are not crossing 10,000 foot passes everyday. No need to spend the extra cash if you don't need to. The same two guys I mentioned above pulled all the same passes as I did. The 6.0 didn't miss a beat and did better than my old big bock because it is just a better set up. The 5.4 was on par with my old BBC.

Plus the Guy lives in Pennsylvania. Unless he is headed out West. He won't see over 5,000 feet in elevation. Nothing like having to tow around here in Wa.

Go ahead.....knock the cummins diesel and the supposed [censored] dodge auto all you want.

I can very easily tow my 30' 5th wheel, weighing in at 10,000lbs fully loaded behind my 01 cummins up 11,000ft mountain passes in Colorado with breeze.

This truck's been doing this for 5yrs, hasn't skipped a beat; transmission shifts flawlessly.

Can't say as much for the 99 Chevy silverado that we had that literally fell apart at 90k miles.

We've had gas V8 trucks for a lot of years, prior to going to the cummins....would never go back, the power difference is amazing....and we can still average in the high teens with the 5th wheel, without the 5th wheel, the cummins averages 24mpg highway

BigCimarronBlueMesaPikesPeak09065.jpg

BigCimarronBlueMesaPikesPeak09289.jpg

However, come on up to the Colorado Rockie's at 10,000+ feet with that load and it will take you about 10 minutes to yearn for a diesel. You'll lose 35% of you're power at this altitude...

It just occurred to me that is another advantage of the eco-boost Ford V6.

'course you are probably not pulling a 5th wheel trailer with an Eco-Boost V6 F-150.

Ramblinfever, I agree 100%, gas sucks for pulling in Colorado. Compared to our '99 5 speed 24 valve Cummins, the 5.4 F-150 was worthless with 4000 lbs behind it. I'm sure we'll be passing plenty of gasser's this summer, gasping for air at 10,000 feet, lol!

Spazdog, you're right, the ecoboost Ford would be the truck to have out here, in Colorado.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Go ahead.....knock the cummins diesel and the supposed [censored] dodge auto all you want.

I can very easily tow my 30' 5th wheel, weighing in at 10,000lbs fully loaded behind my 01 cummins up 11,000ft mountain passes in Colorado with breeze.

This truck's been doing this for 5yrs, hasn't skipped a beat; transmission shifts flawlessly.

Can't say as much for the 99 Chevy silverado that we had that literally fell apart at 90k miles.

We've had gas V8 trucks for a lot of years, prior to going to the cummins....would never go back, the power difference is amazing....and we can still average in the high teens with the 5th wheel, without the 5th wheel, the cummins averages 24mpg highway

BigCimarronBlueMesaPikesPeak09065.jpg

BigCimarronBlueMesaPikesPeak09289.jpg

I don't think anyone knocked the Dodge or any Diesel for that matter. Just giving the Gasser perspective. Everyone knows the Diesel is better, but I didn't need one for what I do. The OP may, but like I said not a lot of 10,000 foot passes in Pennsylivania.

If you don't have a need for one...then no, there's no point.

We personally bought one however cause we got tired of gas V8 engines that only averaged 13-16mpg without a load....with a load, you might as well carry a pump.

I keep reading about the new 2011 diesels requiring urea injection? [censored], if the added DPF, etc. wasn't bad enough in 2007 we've got to add this urea junk now too?! I think I'll either get a 2006 diesel 3/4 ton (if I can find one) or just buy the gasser! Boy government sure knows how to F things up don't they!

Last edited:
I don't understand the fuss about urea. It's ~$2.50/gallon, available at truck stops, and a fill will last 10-15K miles. No more difficult than keeping windshield washer fluid topped up.

2011 Dodge Cummins = NO UREA required!

Yeah, just read that yesterday. Hmmmmm

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Yes, because having clean air to breathe and being healthy is so NOT important...
smirk.gif

OK there Al Gore, yes I agree it is important but burning more fuel in the DPF is IMO wastefull as well. Maybe I could just take a leak in the Urea tank and it would be good lol.

I wouldn't buy a diesel unless you tow a lot or plan on putting 30k+ a year on the truck.

Other than that gas is fine.

Modern diesels are also very complicated and are more expensive all around than their gas counterparts. IE they nail you about $6k-$7k when you buy the truck, you get nailed when you fill it up since diesel costs more than premium, and you get nailed with maintenance since oil changes are a lot more.

But if your towing 10k+ on a regular bases diesels are hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Modern diesels are also very complicated and are more expensive all around than their gas counterparts. IE they nail you about $6k-$7k when you buy the truck, you get nailed when you fill it up since diesel costs more than premium, and you get nailed with maintenance since oil changes are a lot more.

But if your towing 10k+ on a regular bases diesels are hard to beat.

I have to disagree....my cummins has been a LOT cheaper to own then the gas V8's were, even when gas was cheaper and even now that it's more expensive.

my diesel averages 22-24mpg city; open highway without a load the mileage is remarkable, so even though it's gas is more expensive, I use a lot less then any v8 we had.

In regards to complication....not this 5.9L ho 24v engine, it's been the easiest one to maintain, don't have a lot of money into it. Haven't had to replace anything but the fuel pump, and looking right at the engine, everything's pretty simple, and you also don't have spark plugs to change out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back