Diesel vs Gas pickup trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Modern diesels are also very complicated and are more expensive all around than their gas counterparts. IE they nail you about $6k-$7k when you buy the truck, you get nailed when you fill it up since diesel costs more than premium, and you get nailed with maintenance since oil changes are a lot more.

But if your towing 10k+ on a regular bases diesels are hard to beat.

I have to disagree....my cummins has been a LOT cheaper to own then the gas V8's were, even when gas was cheaper and even now that it's more expensive.

my diesel averages 22-24mpg city; open highway without a load the mileage is remarkable, so even though it's gas is more expensive, I use a lot less then any v8 we had.

In regards to complication....not this 5.9L ho 24v engine, it's been the easiest one to maintain, don't have a lot of money into it. Haven't had to replace anything but the fuel pump, and looking right at the engine, everything's pretty simple, and you also don't have spark plugs to change out.

I'm pretty sure your truck and engine are a lot older than the ones he is making reference to.

Could be.....course we never buy a brand-new vehicle anyways, so we didn't take that extra few thousand dollar hit.

Shoot....who can afford a brand-new truck this day and age, diesel or gas?

Could be.....course we never buy a brand-new vehicle anyways, so we didn't take that extra few thousand dollar hit.

Shoot....who can afford a brand-new truck this day and age, diesel or gas?

[censored],
Even a lil truck is $30K.
I was pricing trucks all big three gas/mid level trim trucks were over $40K.

Gotcha

The modern emissions stuff is really over the top, even on heavy duty trucks. Unless you use them OTR, if not its a royal PITA. If you run the truck around town you have to park it so it can cycle and burn the soot out of the system, takes 45 minutes, total waste of fuel.

I remember hearing CAT doesn't offer any new over the road engines in this country anymore, its just not worth it.

Fuel mileage is also way down thanks to the [censored] diesel we get in this country, and the emissions choked motors. Car and Driver has a new 2500 diesel Dodge in its fleet and is only averaging 14.9 MPG; a gas motor will do that.

The EPA is getting its wish, diesels are just about outlawed.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back