Should I use PH7317 Fram oil filters or throw them out?

Hello I own a 2020 Subaru Impreza with a 5 speed and it's currently at 46k miles, I recently purchased 5 "PH7317 Fram oil filters" from Facebook marketplace for 10$. I want the very best for my car and I've heard bad things about fram and these "orange cans of death". Will I have any issues at all using them? Or should I keep using the black oem filters, I do 4-4.5k oil change intervals using Pennzoil platinum. Thanks

I'd use them......but.....I have seen many Fram EG's (orange cans) with very wide, uneven pleat spacing. As I've said before....it's amazing that Prime Guard/EcoGard can make a filter with evenly spaced, non wavy pleats and sell it for $2 but Fram has trouble doing it at double the price. At least the Frams don't seem to tear like the other big domestic brand used to do regularly.

Hello I own a 2020 Subaru Impreza with a 5 speed and it's currently at 46k miles, I recently purchased 5 "PH7317 Fram oil filters" from Facebook marketplace for 10$. I want the very best for my car and I've heard bad things about fram and these "orange cans of death". Will I have any issues at all using them? Or should I keep using the black oem filters, I do 4-4.5k oil change intervals using Pennzoil platinum. Thanks
You didn’t buy the Wix? Or did you just want to make a post about Fram?

While these would never be my filter of choice, there are better options for the same or less money, I also know that there have been literally millions and millions of cars on the roads that have run these filters over the years without an issue. It's quite possibly the largest selling oil filter bought by DIY oil changers in North America.

So my vote would be to keep them and run them since you've already bought them.

If they were that bad I'd expect to have a hard time getting around town because the roads would just be littered with broken down cars. There are millions upon millions of cars running these filters without issue.

Reactions: hrv
Post the date codes, and pictures of any rust (which indicates how they were stored)-moisture & humidity does degrade cellulose filters. That’s why mine are in the attic & not my soggy garage…

Back