Should I use any additives in a Jetta tdi

Ok so I'm probably making an ignorant post but I've never owned a diesel and do not know a lot about them. Should I run any fuel additives? Anything for anti jelling in the cold? I always thought you had to plug diesels in when it's cold but I guess not anymore? Learning as I go! I want my fuel system to stay as healthy as possible so if an additive can help with wear etc I'm interested in learning more about that.

I'd recommend to run a lubricity/cleaning additive with every tank. And, if temp drop below 40F, run an anti-gel with each tank until weather warms up.

Pick any and NO NEED to stick with 1 brand. Find whatever is on sale locally and buy as needed. Measure effectively as it doesn't need to be overdosed. Walmart, truck stops, and all the autopart stores always have various.

Don't forget to change the fuel filter... NOW!

If I was going to order I would go RLI. They have some really good products.
Also the treat rate is low so a bottle lasts a long time.

I run an additive in every tank. Pick one (not Lucas) and stick with it.

Stanadyne, Howes, Power Service, and Hit Shot's Secret are common. Amalgamated or RLI.
This i guess? So this will keep stuff clean and it'll keep from jelling? Run it year long regardless of weather?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_173052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_173052_Chrome.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
Don't you need a funnel to? I don't mind carrying it as long as it's not messy
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I buy the big jugs of additives and transfer them to smaller bottles.

The Techron bottles, 12oz Power Service bottles, and the 4oz Lucas bottles all work great. Anything with a skinny neck.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I buy the big jugs of additives and transfer them to smaller bottles.

The Techron bottles, 12oz Power Service bottles, and the 4oz Lucas bottles all work great. Anything with a skinny neck.
That makes sense. 👍 This diesel world is totally different. Never had to be concerned with much with gasoline . 🤣

I did additives in my TDi for the first couple years, then stopped after a bit. Got tired of adding it. Last few years I owned it, I stopped running B20 and only used whatever D2 was at the local station. 314k and no issues with the engine when I got rid of it. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe the PD motors were less touchy than VE? just not sure that additives are all that necessary, in gas or diesel.

Adding before filling up is best, but IMO you can add afterwards. It will slowly mix in regardless. All the faster if it has a fuel pump that pumps fuel forward and then back (return line), that means the fuel is ”always” circulating around to some extent.

Recycling Lucas or other equivalent small FI cleaner bottles is an easy way to have doses ready to go. You'll only need 2-4 ounces per each fill up.

Also, read the fuel stations pumps and marketing. Some might be blended with a winter additive for the cold season. Toptier didn't take off for diesel sellers.

Recycling Lucas or other equivalent small FI cleaner bottles is an easy way to have doses ready to go.

I'm in MO too & I've used the anti-gel additive that you've mentioned already. I try to plug in when the temperature will be 20 or below.
I don't believe my Jetta has a way to plug it in. Which I was kind of surprised about. I thought plugging in a diesel when it was cold was common practice.🤷

Back