Should i take a federal job out of state?

Hello everyone,
I am working as a teacher in chartered school and as an adjunct instructor at local community College in south Texas. I have an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineer and PhD in material science. I was applying for federal jobs mostly in Texas for the past year, after several applications I got two interviews last month, one was a mechanical engineer position at DLA, whitehall ohio(which I applied even though its was out of state hoping they won't call me) and another engineer position as inspector at PHMSA, Houston. I received email last week with a tentative offer for the ohio job, they pay $68000 starting now I make $58000 and my house is paid for. My wife is against moving to ohio, she thinks it's a lateral move, since the money is not a big compared to what I make now. My family is not going to move with me. Should I take this federal job?
I never had engineering job before, as I was only teaching.

Last edited:
Aren't the benefits (pension-what about medical-very important these days) really good for a Federal job? Excluding that-it would be a lateral move seeing how you would basically have two households.

Anyone know how a federal pipeline (engineer) inspector would be like? It will be in Houston but it has upto 50% of travel.

I would not take that job. I'm a recovering federal employee. Been out for four years (after 11-1/2 as a fed).

Stay with your family and figure out another option. Federal pay and benefits is just OK, IMO. The pension used to be really good (prior to 1980ish, I think). Even recently, the benefits/pension aren't as good as they were just 15 years ago when I joined. My opinion is that you're better off finding a higher paying job and save save save. With discipline, you can build a retirement that's better than what the feds offer.

The only thing of value that I feel I walked away from is the access to the health insurance plans upon retirement.

Paying for another household if she doesn’t move? No, don’t take the job.

I feel like you should be able to make significantly more with a mechanical engineering degree but maybe I’m clueless.
Because I never had any experience in engineering. After college I went into teaching. This is my first engineering job.

I lived in Cincinnati Ohio for about 6 months . There was nothing for me to do. No off roading,rain all the time or snow. I was not into the party scene so I hated every minute of that state.
In south Texas, snow is very very rare.

BS in ME, PhD in material science... You should be pulling in 6 six figures. I wouldn't move to Ohio. You won't be making more money having to have live in Ohio and still having the wife in TX. It's not a good situation for a relationship. It's not enough more money to even consider it.

Is there a reason why your wife won't move here?
I wouldn't move away from my wife for a better job unless you have no children and the relationship is on the rocks. Men have needs, consider your love life.

Whitehall Ohio SUCKS. It's a suburb within Columbus. I imagine most people that work at DCSC in Whitehall don't live in Whitehall.
But there are plenty of better suburbs and better areas of CBUS. Homes and rent in Franklin county are creeping up faster than other areas of the U.S.

Columbus doesn't get the same amount of snow as NE Ohio. We get some, but nothing to cry about. What sucks about winter in Ohio is the number of overcast days we have.

$68K in Cbus isn't great. You won't be living in the better suburbs like Dublin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard or the better part of Grove City unless you have no car payment and live frugal. There is plenty to do in Ohio.

You pay seems really low especially for all that education. Maybe consider moving away from family for twice the money you get now and even then iffy. Big nope on “offer”

Maybe set your sights a lot higher or is $58k a living wage in your locale? I would suspect you should be into the low $100s between those degrees starting.

You pay seems really low especially for all that education. Maybe consider moving away from family for twice the money you get now and even then iffy. Big nope on “offer”

Maybe set your sights a lot higher or is $58k a living wage in your locale? I would suspect you should be into the low $100s between those degrees starting.
Rio grande valley used to very cheap until SpaceX came, here 58k Is good given I have two months off with pay as a teacher.

Back