Should I stop getting oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The primary concern would be whats coming out of the tailpipe and whats happening to the converters. It seems it would be worth repairing if the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. Also the high oil consumption is a waste of resources which partially negates hte reason to own a Preius.

I searched Priuschat and looked at the TSB. It sounds like it's the pistons and piston rings. I'm sure they are expensive to repair. I've been looking at options and I found some ideas.

1. Switch to a thicker oil, like a 5w30. This is rumored to cause a drop in MPG. Can thicker oil cause a drop in MPG? Will thicker than recommended oil damage the engine in any way?

2. Use Cataclean in the fuel. The post said "This product cleans catalytic converters. It has a side effect of cleaning the carbon deposits in the engine, intake manifold (from the injectors into the valves), and the exhaust manifold. This will erode the ring deposits from the combustion side. Also, use Motor Flush in the oil at the next oil change to clean the rings from the oil side."

Is there any truth to #2? Sounds simple to do. Maybe too good to be true? Will this method work on the piston rings?

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
The primary concern would be whats coming out of the tailpipe and whats happening to the converters. It seems it would be worth repairing if the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. Also the high oil consumption is a waste of resources which partially negates hte reason to own a Preius.

The funny thing about this post you said is one of the reasons to own a Prius is it conserves resources. Lithium batteries alone negates any gas used in that car.

Why worry about hurting the engine running thicker oil? The engine is toast now. Give it a try. What is worst that could happen? A rebuild? Pffft, needs one already.

Originally Posted by slickoil
... I've been looking at options and I found some ideas. ...
1. Switch to a thicker oil, like a 5w30. This is rumored to cause a drop in MPG. Can thicker oil cause a drop in MPG? Will thicker than recommended oil damage the engine in any way? ...
5W-30, being slightly thicker than 0W-20, will definitely cause a small drop---though not as small as some people would have you believe. It will not damage the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by slickoil
... I've been looking at options and I found some ideas. ...
1. Switch to a thicker oil, like a 5w30. This is rumored to cause a drop in MPG. Can thicker oil cause a drop in MPG? Will thicker than recommended oil damage the engine in any way? ...
5W-30, being slightly thicker than 0W-20, will definitely cause a small drop---though not as small as some people would have you believe. It will not damage the engine.

Whoever says 5w30 damages engine in this case is telling a huge lie. I bet you can't tell any gas mileage difference with 5w30. It's negligible.

Originally Posted by ridgerunner
Why worry about hurting the engine running thicker oil? The engine is toast now. Give it a try. What is worst that could happen? A rebuild? Pffft, needs one already.

It may need one or a thicker oil may curb the consumption.

I don't think anyone mentioned a piston soak but that can help with the carbon buildup on the rings which might be preventing them from expanding/sealing. Cheap and easy.

Originally Posted by Aichiguy
I don't think anyone mentioned a piston soak but that can help with the carbon buildup on the rings which might be preventing them from expanding/sealing. Cheap and easy.

Interesting idea. Thanks. Any particular product you like for that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back