Should I Stick With My Truck? Buy "new"?

Mid 30's? That will buy a brand new work truck, no need to go pre-owned.

At the risk of being a fanboy, I have to mention the base model "work truck" Ford F-150 XL but just add the STX sport appearance package it brings a whole lot of useful items for not much money but one of the options STX pkg brings is 20" alloy rims which you may not want if you're after steel wheels. The 325hp/400 lb-ft 2.7 ecoboost V6 designed to use regular 87 unleaded is only about a $999 option and about same mpg as the base 3.3 liter naturally aspirated V6. If an extended cab will work instead of crew cab and you don't mind the clamshell rear doors Ford uses on the extended cab, it's not a bad setup, and there's left over 2019's in this config still on dealer lots which can be had for around $31K + TTL in 4x4 drivetrain with locking diff, etc. The light weight from the all aluminum 5 star crash body plus the power of the 2.7, they drive pretty quick and nimble for a truck.

i don't blame ya on the diesel concerns. Gas is more predicable and stable albeit higher fuel costs per mile, and i'm good with that myself. Then i go back to my original recommendation, silverado custom 5.3 6 speed. The F150s are excellent trucks too but likely cost more depending on incentives in your market. GM flooding the discounts right now.

Here is a basic search for some new 3/4 tons:

RAM 2500: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...kTypId=28880&trId=49303&zc=54904

F250: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=21115&mkId=20015&page=1&perPage=50&prMx=40000&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=year-oldest&stkTypId=28880&trId=25777%2C29632&zc=54904

Nissan Titan XD (a nice in-between of a half ton and 3/4 ton): https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...elevance&stkTypId=28880&zc=54904

Chevy 2500: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=22128&mkId=20053&page=1&perPage=50&prMx=40000&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28880&yrId=35797618%2C36362520&zc=54904

GMC 2500: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=22107&mkId=20061&page=1&perPage=50&prMx=40000&rd=99999&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&sort=year-oldest&stkTypId=28880&yrId=35797618%2C36362520&zc=54904

Your best value is with a RAM. Just rust-proof it with some Fluid Film every year. The one I linked to earlier has a Cummins (good dealer, too).

There are new 2019 Dodge errr.... Ram 1500 ext cabs advertised around here for $22-$24k. The ones I've seen are 2wd v6 but often have the chrome bumpers and the vinyl floor. The single cabs were around $20k

Crack out a calculator.

Cost to maintain, insure, and register a truck and the Subaru. And cost of gas per year.

Then calculate the cost of a truck doing the commuting and only having insurance and maintenance on it. Might make sense to just have it.

Here's a 4x4 brand new Silverado 2500 for $33.8k

AutoTrader Link

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Mid 30's? That will buy a brand new work truck, no need to go pre-owned.

At the risk of being a fanboy, I have to mention the base model "work truck" Ford F-150 XL but just add the STX sport appearance package it brings a whole lot of useful items for not much money but one of the options STX pkg brings is 20" alloy rims which you may not want if you're after steel wheels. The 325hp/400 lb-ft 2.7 ecoboost V6 designed to use regular 87 unleaded is only about a $999 option and about same mpg as the base 3.3 liter naturally aspirated V6. If an extended cab will work instead of crew cab and you don't mind the clamshell rear doors Ford uses on the extended cab, it's not a bad setup, and there's left over 2019's in this config still on dealer lots which can be had for around $31K + TTL in 4x4 drivetrain with locking diff, etc. The light weight from the all aluminum 5 star crash body plus the power of the 2.7, they drive pretty quick and nimble for a truck.

Just priced out a WT Chevy 1500 with the 4.3 and towing package / 4x4 for $31k. Same price as a XL model. Not a bad price at all! That would be something to consider. Not a huge fan of the Chevy not having low range .. at that point, why even get 4x4?

I wonder how hard it is to find one of these used ? the 4.3 doesn't seem to be a bad engine.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Crack out a calculator.

Cost to maintain, insure, and register a truck and the Subaru. And cost of gas per year.

Then calculate the cost of a truck doing the commuting and only having insurance and maintenance on it. Might make sense to just have it.

Here's a 4x4 brand new Silverado 2500 for $33.8k

AutoTrader Link

[Linked Image]

That's a lot of truck for the money! Unfortunately, it's too long to fit infront of my house and too tall to fit in my garage. But it would work great!

But part of me has a hard time justifying so much for vehicle #2. If it was a DD, it would make more sense.

Originally Posted by Miller88

Just priced out a WT Chevy 1500 with the 4.3 and towing package / 4x4 for $31k. Same price as a XL model. Not a bad price at all! That would be something to consider. Not a huge fan of the Chevy not having low range .. at that point, why even get 4x4?

I wonder how hard it is to find one of these used ? the 4.3 doesn't seem to be a bad engine.

They dropped low range? Interesting. TBH I wouldn't miss it as I stick to pavement, but 4WD is really useful in snow and on grass. Maybe it'd be useful if reverse in the transmission was geared stupid high (like it often is, or at least was, back in the days of 4AT's).

As for the 4.3, I dunno. Methinks it might be hard to find a 4.3 with tow and whatnot--I'm thinking they might have been sold largely as the cheapest truck, thus sans tow package. I could be wrong though, all depends on how the dealer ordered them. Eons ago I noticed that a local dealer seemed to have ordered all their base trucks with both 4WD and tow package, I'm guessing they couldn't move trucks without those options.

It looks like on the 4.3 trucks, the tow package didn't do much other than add a hitch. I can add in the hitch and trans cooler myself on a 4.3 truck. I rarely use 4x4, just once in a while getting out of the driveway or something. There have been a few times where I have needed it to drag the Jeep on a trailer through a muddy parking area or something. But with an automatic, the torque converter does do a lot for you to help anyway.

2WD trucks up here don't sell. 10 or so years ago, usually retirees would buy them but they've all converted to crossovers.

Pretty sure it should have a trans cooler; might not be large enough. Then again, does it matter? With aggressive lockup it should not be making heat. And, then is not now--old school fluid temp recommendations would have one believe that my transmission should have died long ago (as it stays at engine coolant temp doing nothing).

Engine oil cooler though?

But part of me has a hard time justifying so much for vehicle #2. If it was a DD, it would make more sense.

Totally understand. When I was shopping vehicles this past spring I was replacing a 67,000 mile 2009 Subaru Forester 5-speed manual base model 2.5X. I tend to buy basic or one trim level up from base. Since wife had just gotten a small suv and I drive a company car to/from work daily the Forester didn't really *need* to be replaced, it was more of an "I want" than a "we need" situation. However it was true that any residual value the soob had was due to drop rapidly once the mileage passed 70 or 80K and it went beyond 10 yrs old. Anyhow, the new car smell in the wife's gmc was too intoxicating and so in combo with the impending valuation decline of the soob and a case of the "I wants", I went looking at mid size trucks.... new Ranger, Colorado, Frontier. Ranger and Tacoma there were no discounts of any significance offered and I felt both were over priced for what they offered. Frontier deals were to be had but the aging platform and poor fuel economy of the six cyl put me off plus didn't care for the front fascia design. Solid reliable trucks but not my cup of tea. Drove a v6 gmc canyon (same as colorado), not impressed, no low end torque and fuel economy seemed low for a small truck. Ram classics had decent specs w/ the Pentastar v6 but again, the styling wasn't my cup of tea so never shopped them. I never drove new Chevy/GMC half tons, but only because I looked at and drove the F150 first. Was smitten by the specs, and driving dynamics, and rated fuel economy of the 2.7 ecoboost and with over 10K off sticker in the dealerships final offer, that was the end of the search and pulled the trigger. One reason I didn't put the final offer on hold and go drive a Silverado Custom just to be sure was because, at least on the online build-a-truck thing for Chevy, you could only get a locking rear differential in certain option packages above $1500 and not separately by itself. Ford equips the locking diff as a stand alone option if you want, $400, and the one I negotiated had it.

I think the rental F250s get beat pretty hard though. Lots of short tripping , idling and sitting.

At this point I'm down to a 2019+ Ranger or a previous generation Chevy 1500 4.3 WT.

Previous gen 4.3, with the older Vortec 4.3 & 4AT? I'm not sure I'd toss towing duties at that--it'd probably do it, but I have to wonder if I'd want to sign up for it. Maybe a 4.8 & 4AT.

Originally Posted by supton
Previous gen 4.3, with the older Vortec 4.3 & 4AT? I'm not sure I'd toss towing duties at that--it'd probably do it, but I have to wonder if I'd want to sign up for it. Maybe a 4.8 & 4AT.

2014-2018 with the GDI Ecotec3 4.3 / 6 speed transmission.

The strange looking current gen trucks seem to be the same except it's an electronic shift transfer case missing low range.

My Chevy L83/6L80e trucks have two iterations of trailer packages and then come with 2Hi, Auto 4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo

Autotrac 2-speed active transfer case

•Remains in 2WD mode until the system detects wheel slippage
•Automatically engages 4WD until traction is regained
•Allows driver shift-on-the-fly capability from 2WD to 4WD at any speed, using a rotary control
•Neutral position allows the vehicle to be towed behind another vehicle
•Requires 4WD models and the Heavy-Duty Trailering Package

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

2014-2018 with the GDI Ecotec3 4.3 / 6 speed transmission.

The strange looking current gen trucks seem to be the same except it's an electronic shift transfer case missing low range.

Ah, I've been living in the past, missed that they moved another generation (go figure, my truck is like in the same generation after who knows how many years).

If I were to get a used 2014-2018 with the floor shift 4x4, I could get the traditional 2h ,4h, n and 4LO. The current gen funny looking trucks only have the rotary switch for 2 and 4 HI. Unless you option in the z71 package. I do not want an electronic shift one. If that's my only option I'll just get 2wd, because the electronic shift will fail when I need it the most.

I've done some research in to the 4.3s. Seems one site says it's a terrible idea, and another site says they're great and even have one member towing a 7500# travel trailer with one. A travel trailer is a much harder tow than my Jeep on a trailer. I have to imagine that engine is probably making just as much torque as my very tired old triton.

Some things to think about. Looks like the 4.3 gets better mileage than a Ranger. The double cab short bed is as long as my current truck and will fit in my driveway and garage fine.

Well thanks to all the Corona going on, I had to cancel one of the trips so far this year but took a trip to a closer park. The new shocks help a ton, but it is really showing its age in the hills. One of the roads we were on I was going 15 in a 55 in 2nd gear. Just didn't have any more in it.

Been doing a lot of research on Frontiers. For the occasional Jeep towing I do, I think a 4.0 V6 frontier off lease would really be ideal. It's also $10K cheaper than a ranger and is a very proven product. As long as I can find an off lease one as long as the frame is clean would work pretty well for me. Fuel economy would be similar to the 2.3T.

Back