Should I Stick With My Truck? Buy "new"?

Sounds like it is time to move on. Not sure now is the time to shop used, but maybe there's a good deal on a lot somewhere.

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Car dealers are open and hungry. Our sales department is offering home delivery now...we have new Silverados, a 2003 F-350 stake bed with 20K miles, some rusty Dakotas and F-150s from Idaho or somewhere, an Econoline paddy wagon, and more, take your pick. LOL

Miller88

Originally Posted by supton
Sounds like it is time to move on. Not sure now is the time to shop used, but maybe there's a good deal on a lot somewhere.
Unfortunately with the uncertainty in the economy I don't really want to go new. But Ford and GM
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Car dealers are open and hungry. Our sales department is offering home delivery now...we have new Silverados, a 2003 F-350 stake bed with 20K miles, some rusty Dakotas and F-150s from Idaho or somewhere, an Econoline paddy wagon, and more, take your pick. LOL
Is that stake bed a gas engine wink ? I have been looking at Carmax. Oddly enough the local Nissan dealers dont have any used Frontiers.

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Nope, 6.0 with none of that bulletproofing stuff. Probably has the original coolant. LOL The Econoline paddy wagon is a 5.4...rusty but a good runner. New NAPA calipers due to rust. The owner of the dealer has been on a roll with some government auctions lately.

Last edited:
With your price range I'd look into a full size truck. New F150 XL with STX package and an EcoBoost or Coyote would be a good daily with plenty of tow capacity. Or Ram 1500 Express Hemi 4x4 with Tow package is a good value as well.

Miller88

Originally Posted by donnyj08
With your price range I'd look into a full size truck. New F150 XL with STX package and an EcoBoost or Coyote would be a good daily with plenty of tow capacity. Or Ram 1500 Express Hemi 4x4 with Tow package is a good value as well.
I would love to be able to go with another full size. Same / better MPG, more stable towing. The problem is I need 4 regularly opening doors with windows for the dog to ride in the back. A full 4 door truck in the full size segment wouldn't fit in my driveway.

Miller88

Still on the hunt. Used truck prices are coming back down. On another note, I didn't realize the rear windows on the extended cab aluminum F150s rolled down. That's good. I have started to look at those with the base 3.3 or 3.5 NA engines. 2.7TT or 3.5T would be but I really don't need that power. I think I've abandon the idea of midsize, I did want a frontier/ranger but I'm slowly opening to the idea of a full size. Now that I have my trailer and I'm able to gauge how much space it takes up in the driveway (or doesn't), I think I can fit a full size extended cab/short bed configuration.

I know the GM powertrains are objectively better and I really like the 4.3 / 6 speed combo on the GM 1500s. But I keep getting drawn to the aluminum Fords.

My F350 has made it's last long trip towing the Jeep I think. I will still use it locally. I went down to PA in June and blew out an exhaust manifold -- no biggie. It's a Ford it happens. then went back down to PA and back last month and used 3 quarts of oil and 1/2 gallon of coolant. There was a cloud of blue smoke behind me at times. For about a 450 mile round trip. The transmission is starting to grind into 3rd now also. Making another trip down next month but I'll be renting a truck

Miller88

That's true. They are starting to come back down but not where I'd like them to be. But still casually browsing.

For a while it was really insane. Used XL model F150s with 60K miles were selling for $40,000 !!! nuts!

Miller88

Update to this: If anyone cares or is interested.

This fall I was at a lowes and went to get in and the running board fell off. Apparently the drivers side cab corner and rocker panel disappeared. With a lot of stuff going on including the cost of fuel going through the roof soon, I'm going to stick with this truck. The Subaru is nearly paid off and it's a good DD, if anything that will get replaced with a smaller car eventually.

Hoping to buy a new bed for it in a month or so. I will take the time to do everything that it needs. When I swap the bed, it'll get a new OEM fuel pump. I now have a gas capable welder so I can do the rocker panels and cab corners over next winter. I don't know if I'll paint the bed, no doubt it will be the wrong color.

Ultimately, I think as long as I can keep it from completely getting consumed by rust, I can keep this going for quite a while. I already have a spare manual transmission for it. Still hunting down a transfer case. The 2 valve 5.4 was used in econolines up until the end, so if it should need an engine soon-ish, I'm sure I can find another lower mileage 5.4 - the current one has a bad head gasket. The frame is in good shape still.

The bed will run me close to $2000. Which isn't the end of the world, still cheaper than buying a new truck. I will still use rentals for longer distance trips.