Should I have this windshield chip fixed?

Wife’s car got bit by a rock because some jack___ cut her off. The chip is right in the drivers field of vision of course. It’s a relatively small chip but I am curious if this is something Safelite can fix.

Attachments

• D7A10757-4379-430C-A233-CC8A3D75F2DB.jpeg
    D7A10757-4379-430C-A233-CC8A3D75F2DB.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 102
Three key questions:
1. Will it leak? If the chip doesn't go all the way through, it might not.
2. Will it spread? Depends on its shape & depth.
3. Does it impair visibility?
If the answer to all 3 is "no" then I don't fix 'em. Or at least defer the fix until 1 of them becomes a "yes".

I have repaired several chips smaller and larger than that one with the RAIN-X chip repair kit. I think it's about $10 at WM.
If you have full coverage insurance SAFELITE will come to you and fix it for FREE (Insurance pays for it). And, it DOESN'T go against your record.
If it were mine I would have it repaired or repair it myself.

Reactions: hrv
I wouldn't even call that a chip.

I had a chip in the Grand Cherokee windshield for over 3 years that looked like a bullet hole. Never cracked.

I've also had windshields crack without having a chip.

I did that on my old car some time ago, reasoning the same as yours, to prevent spreading

yet, from your image, I don't think your situation requires any action today

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

Serious question here:
Like many paint, resin (fiberglass) product and finishing products, is there a benefit to filling chips in windshields on a dry day?

I may try a windshield repair kit. Any experience?

As others have said, the RainX kit is stellar. $10 at Walmart, easy to use, and effective.

I had a couple of spots on my windshield similar to what you are showing in your picture. I filled them using the RainX kit. The spots are still visible but at the very least they are filled in with resin.

The one thing I don't understand is how someone cutting someone off is the cause of the chip. Not that I am defending the guy that cut her off, but both events seem totally unrelated.

Reactions: hrv
As others have said, the RainX kit is stellar. $10 at Walmart, easy to use, and effective.

I had a couple of spots on my windshield similar to what you are showing in your picture. I filled them using the RainX kit. The spots are still visible but at the very least they are filled in with resin.

The one thing I don't understand is how someone cutting someone off is the cause of the chip. Not that I am defending the guy that cut her off, but both events seem totally unrelated.
People that cut in front can chip windshields much more easily than someone that gives a car a few more car lengths before cutting in. Its not only rude to cut in front but does create damage. Most of my rock chips through the years are from people cutting in close. I understand sometimes people will cut in to prevent missing a turn off or something. OP I would have the chip repaired to keep it from spreading.

Seriously? Tires kick up rocks. Guy cuts right in front and tire flings up rocks. She saw and heard it happen. We are very careful to stay far back from cars for this reason. Nothing you can do about idiots cutting you off though.

I have used the Permatex kit with good results. As others have mentioned you must follow the directions very carefully. There are a few YouTube videos showing the process that are good to watch before starting yourself.

My finished repair looks like a hard water spot. Not invisible like some of the YouTube videos show, but definitely better than a chip. Also totally smooth on the outside, you cannot feel the repair with your fingernail.

Regarding people cutting in and causing rock chips, several times when I have received a chip to my windshield or paint it happened when some jerk cut diagonally across and in front of me at fairly close range. I don't know if the diagonal movement caused the rock to get thrown, but it sure seemed coincidental that it happened as the vehicle was crossing into my lane and not just driving in front of me at a short distance. The most recent chip however came from a lifted pickup with huge off road tires and no mud flaps in the lane next to me about 2 car lengths ahead. Not much I could have done to avoid that one.

I wouldn't even call that a chip.

I had a chip in the Grand Cherokee windshield for over 3 years that looked like a bullet hole. Never cracked.

I've also had windshields crack without having a chip.
My 2004 GC has had two chips since we got it (used). Right away I said “we need to fill those before they spread”. It’s been five years and they look the same as day 1 so I think I’ll leave them

If you're going to fill it yourself, less is more because you can cause a distortion if too much resin is pushed in.

Back