Should I get studs?? And can they be studded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all of you who puff out your chests that studs "destroy" roads. Of course, semi-trucks hauling the 80,000lbs loads are ok....

The safety margin alone with a studded tire is beyond belief. And for those who also say most people don't drive on ice most of the time, next snow look at what is at every traffic light or the bottom of every hill..

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I love all of you who puff out your chests that studs "destroy" roads. Of course, semi-trucks hauling the 80,000lbs loads are ok....

The safety margin alone with a studded tire is beyond belief. And for those who also say most people don't drive on ice most of the time, next snow look at what is at every traffic light or the bottom of every hill..

Depends on where you live. The northeast uses enough salt that intersections are rarely icy.

If you live in an area with extended dirt roads, which are ice most of the winter in my case, studs may make some sense. Otherwise, not worth it.

Thanks for reminding me about the salt damage to everything in and near it's application... but studs kill roads!

By the way, there is a world out there where intersections are icy, including the NE. Maybe not to you city folks though....

You'd be surprised. The interstates are usually kept ice free, but even state routes and main surface streets get nearly nothing. With a [censored] economy, there's not enough money to maintain the roads.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You'd be surprised. The interstates are usually kept ice free, but even state routes and main surface streets get nearly nothing. With a [censored] economy, there's not enough money to maintain the roads.

Who's surprised by what? I drive throughout New England in the winter, both in urban areas and rural areas. Ice is simply not prevalent on paved roads at any time. Packed snow, slush, and combinations therein - absolutely. But proper ice such as studs were designed for, rarely.

I'm not advocating all-season tires, but I think dedicated winter tires stand on their own in this day and age (and that includes in many icy situations). Back in my college days I could drive most of the 14 miles to the store without touching the steering wheel because of the grooves studs had made on the interstate.

Bingo....in fact, your city is one I drive through DAILY, i.e. Elizabeth and up and down the highway 86 corridor from Parker to Limon everything north and south, including miles of dirt roads.

My job only dictates maybe 60% of paved roads; the remaining 40% is dirt, turned ice roads come winter.

Because it is a company truck, I don't want to be responsible for the use of chains and have something get torn up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever

Bingo....in fact, your city is one I drive through DAILY, i.e. Elizabeth and up and down the highway 86 corridor from Parker to Limon everything north and south, including miles of dirt roads.

My job only dictates maybe 60% of paved roads; the remaining 40% is dirt, turned ice roads come winter.

Because it is a company truck, I don't want to be responsible for the use of chains and have something get torn up.

If you are running 86 all winter it wouldn't hurt to carry chains. Some pretty nasty drifts when the wind starts blowing, and you know it really never stops. Be safe, carry a warm blanket too!

I call [censored]. I travel for a living and it is not as carefree as you say in the northeast. Deep grooves from studded tires...lol...sheesh.

I call [censored]. I travel for a living and it is not as carefree as you say in the northeast. Deep grooves from studded tires...lol...sheesh.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but studded tire damage to paved roads is not an opinion. As for "carefree" driving, I don't believe that was mentioned.

There are plenty of studies out there to read if you have the time, not to mention the proof on the roads out there. A great example can be found driving on I-91 and I-89 here in New England. As studded tire usage increases with latitude, studded tire damage increase proportionally on the road surface.

http://classes.engr.oregonstate.edu/cce/...udded_tires.htm

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/555/2/33652.0001.001.pdf

Just for some examples of the data out there.

Thanks for reminding me about the salt damage to everything in and near it's application... but studs kill roads!

By the way, there is a world out there where intersections are icy, including the NE. Maybe not to you city folks though....

can you get over yourself and not post in an insulting manner?

I can agree with both sides of the argument but your posts are poorly written and insulting.. which does nothing but hinder your argument.

having driven on both types of winter tires.

Studs are much better in areas that dont see frequent snow maintence.. ie rural areas.

in a city with frequent salting and plowing the studs lose most of their advantages and the disadvantages are many.

Why I chose blizzack ws-70's for my current set.

IF I lived in rural ohio I would have been more likely to purchase hakka 7's or even general altimax arctics studded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken2
I worked with a fellow who lived in Norway, near the coast, where ice on the road was the norm. He said that he got new studs in his tires every year until the tires were worn to the point where they were no longer effective. The new studs had sharp edges and were the length suitable to the remaining tread depth.

In the U.S. you'll be told that this is impossible. No one will put studs into your tires now.

there is a simple reason for this.

if they remove and put new studs in the stud holes should be relatively free of dirt and grit. Its not recommended but do-able.

studding tires that were driven on.. the holes with have dirt and grit in them so its not possible.

studs cost 10-15$ a tire so its a significant part of the price.

that took the altimax arctics I was considering and made them more expensive than the ws-70 blizzack's I eventually purchased.

I also didnt want any accusations of driveway damage from the studs as my driveway is falling apart anyway and is under warranty.

Last edited:
Another internet guy who is righteous.... Maybe if you would look at what I'm saying and see who are the condescending ones. Lots of guys who I'll bet never tried studs but certainly have an opinion of them, but ignore everything around them to make sure their argument "wins".
Puh-leeze dude.... grow a pair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back