Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

Earlier I found a city that had a requirement for any new gas stations with at least 10 pumps needs to have at least 2 "alternative fuel" sources where EV charging was one option. I'm curious as to how a pump is defined - like both sides of one unit count as one or two pumps. I will say that the closest gas station to my house only has 4 units and 8 numbered pumps. I've been going there for ages where I remember when they had mechanical pumps and needed an attendant to reset them even after they were 100% self-service.

I'm guessing that all new gas stations in this city will have less than 10 pumps.

Will the market be allowed to decide? Thats the real question.
Target and certain Festival Foods locations have been throwing chargers into the backlot for a decade.

Oddly our first place to publicly charge here in the sticks was a gas station Kwik Trip, but you had to bring your own EVSE. From what I’m told other larger gas stations and even fast food have already been locating some charging infrastructure, some in extremely remote atypical locations.

The trouble will continue being
getting them in the vast empty spaces along highways.

Something not mentioned is that “rest areas” have been in decline for decades.

Without gas stations there isn’t a legal place to drop a load let alone “refill “ whatever it is your driving. EV infrastructure will still need places like that along with the big gulp and hohos

That wouldn’t really be the point though. It’s a different business model where it would be about how long someone stays on property and use the time for something other than refueling.

Thats the thing, all new gas stations are this way anyhow, the old school small local gas stations have been getting tore out and demolished for decades, there are actually fewer stations per capita now than 40 years ago.

Gas stations were already in decline and becoming less common for decades and in their place are gigantic multipurpose convience/ restaurant / car wash experience locations.

Last edited:
Target and certain Festival Foods locations have been throwing chargers into the backlot for a decade.

Oddly our first place to publicly charge here in the sticks was a gas station Kwik Trip, but you had to bring your own EVSE. From what I’m told other larger gas stations and even fast food have already been locating some charging infrastructure, some in extremely remote atypical locations.

The trouble will continue being
getting them in the vast empty spaces along highways.

Something not mentioned is that “rest areas” have been in decline for decades.

Without gas stations there isn’t a legal place to drop a load let alone “refill “ whatever it is your driving. EV infrastructure will still need places like that along with the big gulp and hohos

Thats the thing, all new gas stations are this way anyhow, the old school small local gas stations have been getting tore out and demolished for decades, there are actually fewer stations per capita now than 40 years ago.

Gas stations were already in decline and becoming less common for decades and in their place are gigantic multipurpose convience/ restaurant / car wash experience locations.
Either more than one Kwik Trip has done this or you live in my back yard, because so far I've only seen the outlet for EV charging at the station in Fox Lake.

The Kwik Trip in Johnson creek has 8 Tesla Superchargers, but according to my contacts with Kwik Trip that's the first of its kind. They're looking to expand as long as that location sees positive results.

They have plenty of time. Unlike the inconsiderate dweebs that leave their vehicles at the pump and go into the convenience store.
Cash folks have to do this.

Some old moron (hmm?) yelled at my 17 year old for doing this however she is the rare customer who has tons of cash(register tips paid in cash $5-$20/hr).

Some old moron (hmm?) yelled at my 17 year old for doing this however she is the rare customer who has tons of cash(register tips paid in cash $5-$20/hr).
It's the folks that head inside to order food that takes 5 to 15 minutes. Their vehicles are gassed up and no one waiting for the pumps can use them until they come out and move their vehicles.

Reactions: MM8
Either more than one Kwik Trip has done this or you live in my back yard, because so far I've only seen the outlet for EV charging at the station in Fox Lake.

The Kwik Trip in Johnson creek has 8 Tesla Superchargers, but according to my contacts with Kwik Trip that's the first of its kind. They're looking to expand as long as that location sees positive results.
Kwik Trip has had them so long some managers got frustrated and already have removed them, lol. (I have some family friends that are upper management and get small tidbits of internal drama occasionally)

Rest assured most every Kwik Trip had them 2013-2016 usually near the air compressor and vacuum, I will have to grab a pic, one of our local ones has it the other you can see where the sign used to be (somebody was hogging it 8 hours a day every day so they removed the sign)

If I fueled , my passenger is likely in the store and I might go in too.

The issue at least at Kwik trip is that you might get sort of landlocked and have to exit the lot and come back in or every parking spot is full anyway, not worth crashing to move the car.

If the lot is empty no problem, full no problem lol.

Usually the parking spots are full but the pumps empty, no problem then either

Last edited:
Kwik Trip has had them so long some managers got frustrated and already have removed them, lol. (I have some family friends that are upper management and get small tidbits of internal drama occasionally)

Rest assured most every Kwik Trip had them 2013-2016 usually near the air compressor and vacuum, I will have to grab a pic, one of our local ones has it the other you can see where the sign used to be (somebody was hogging it 8 hours a day every day so they removed the sign)

If I fueled , my passenger is likely in the store and I might go in too.

The issue at least at Kwik trip is that you might get sort of landlocked and have to exit the lot and come back in or every parking spot is full anyway, not worth crashing to move the car.

If the lot is empty no problem, full no problem lol.

Usually the parking spots are full but the pumps empty, no problem then either
Yep, that's where I noticed it, next to the air compressor. I thought it was a relatively new thing because I'm pretty sure the store in Fox Lake is only a few years old now.

That is an understatement, there is not enough real estate in some areas to have EV refueling stations that would be able to have the capacity to handle the amount of vehicles that are currently ICE powered.

True, however keep in mind that while all ICE cars need to go to gas stations on a regular basis, not all EVs do, as most people charge at home and/or work, and only occasionally need to visit public chargers on road trips etc. I have owned my Bolt for like two weeks now and have not charged at a public charger during that time. While in my gas cars I was getting gas let's say once a week. So while trips to the gas station are shorter 100% of ICE cars rely on a gas station vs only a percentage, let's say 25%? of EVs rely on charging stations.

That is an understatement, there is not enough real estate in some areas to have EV refueling stations that would be able to have the capacity to handle the amount of vehicles that are currently ICE powered.
Probably helps that it's just a bunch of us weirdos that want them and I kind of want it to stay that way personally. We don't have much to gain from crazy mass adoption, but I'd like everyone to get one that wants one.

Exactly, not unless you can get them in and out as fast as ICE. So there lies a problem until they figure that out, or keep the EV count down until they figure it out.
27.gif

That is why everyone who owns an EV at least needs 110vac outlet at their spot, that eliminates 75% of the need to publicly charge.
Having 110vac at work eliminates another 10% of the need to public charge.

Its the remaining 15% that rapid charging would need to handle and that’s only if people have broad access to L1, make L2 more common and it’s under 5% of trips where dc fast charging is needed.

The tragedy in Illinois is a good example of everybody relying on only dc charging (even people who should have charged at home) and doing long shopping trips in bad weather.

EVs are really best for short distance travel where you charge at home, in Illinois you have a lot of folks who are in the upper 5% of drivers by miles owning the cars and also not using home charging creating a perfect winter storm.

Too bad so sad

True, however keep in mind that while all ICE cars need to go to gas stations on a regular basis, not all EVs do, as most people charge at home and/or work, and only occasionally need to visit public chargers on road trips etc. I have owned my Bolt for like two weeks now and have not charged at a public charger during that time. While in my gas cars I was getting gas let's say once a week. So while trips to the gas station are shorter 100% of ICE cars rely on a gas station vs only a percentage, let's say 25%? of EVs rely on charging stations.
AS you know, I think by now, I am not against EVs, however your assumption that "most" charge at home is not proven and cant be proven until we have the majority of EVs on the road compared to ICE. One must remember we are at a EV saturation point of not even 5%.
You are only talking about single family EVs in single EV homes, not EV homes with 2,3,4, cars and not the boatloads of Condo's, high rises and apartments in suburban and city areas.

EVs certainly work in 1 EV households, single family homes assuming they remember to charge them, you know, like your responsible Teenage kids using your EV or their own EV? Then they too will have to go to a charge station when you get in your car the next day and your kid didnt bother to plug the car in *LOL* (just having fun here)

Electric vehicles are the future. Yet ICE vehicles will be here for decades as well.

Should all gas stations be mandated to have chargers? Is having 1-2 chargers minimum reasonable?

I think so.
I'm not certain on many issues but on this I am quite certain. Mandates are for non-free people, and nobody knows what will be the future.

Reactions: MM8
AS you know, I think by now, I am not against EVs, however your assumption that "most" charge at home is not proven and cant be proven until we have the majority of EVs on the road compared to ICE. One must remember we are at a EV saturation point of not even 5%.
You are only talking about single family EVs in single EV homes, not EV homes with 2,3,4, cars and not the boatloads of Condo's, high rises and apartments in suburban and city areas.

EVs certainly work in 1 EV households, single family homes assuming they remember to charge them, you know, like your responsible Teenage kids using your EV or their own EV? Then they too will have to go to a charge station when you get in your car the next day and your kid didnt bother to plug the car in *LOL* (just having fun here)
It's a small sampling rate, but the vast majority of all vocal EV owners on here primary charge at home. Fairly small sample size. Everyone I've met in person that drives an EV primarily charges at home even if they offset on occasion out and about. I think it's just that its so convenient and so much cheaper to plug in at home if you're able to that it skews heavy in that direction, obviously at different rates per person.

Depending on how long it takes to get the GTI back I may be testing this theory with my driving needs. I think I can do it it all on 120V even. 240V won't be installed until the 15th. I'm renting a car this week because both of us are too busy this week to pull it off with one car.

Right, better to be understated it seems on here, but it proves a point. Suddenly, after all that initial cost of construction and land, that $13 fill up would be $70.

You would also likely have to have bathrooms to accommodate these people, and of course a store, and all the associated cost that go with it. It would no only be a power outlet.

I wish there was more truth to the EV thing.

Right, better to be understated it seems on here, but it proves a point. Suddenly, after all that initial cost of construction and land, that $13 fill up would be $70.

That's not really the point though. DC fast charging certainly makes sense but probably won't be the dominant form of public or semi-public charging in the future.

Where I see them it's rarely any kind of new construction like building a gas station. Tesla almost always uses existing parking lots and prefers to place them in otherwise low traffic parts of those lots. And the same goes for for most of the charging stations I see.

What's likely going to be the dominant way is slower charging at places where people will be parked for a while. Malls, movie theaters (although that's an interesting case if it's only 3 hours), restaurants, and especially hotels. Amusement parks are also a really good use case.

Back