shorter oci on 2013 vw passat 2.5?

hello, ive done all servicing per owner’s manual at vw dealership, which manual states is a 1 year, 10k mile interval. this year ive driven less so my 1 year oci arrived at 87k miles in june, when i did the 90k mile service. i’m no longer doing long highway drives, mainly just 20-30 suburban trips with an occasional 60mph stretch. i’ve noticed a bit of a clatter at idle with this n.a. 5 cylinder engine, but nothing terrible or causing reduced performance. mpg is easy 25 town, 36+ highway. should i go to a 5k mile oil change in addition to the regular 10k mile service? if yes, should i simply return to the vw dealer for a $70 synthetic (vw spec) oil & filter change, or try a new vioc where i have some cheaper promotional coupons? i just replaced the tires and battery so likely will keep this otherwise decent, paid off passat for a couple more years. thanks.

Attachments

• D9EE03C3-25DE-4C99-A2B3-7F3571A363B3.jpeg
    D9EE03C3-25DE-4C99-A2B3-7F3571A363B3.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
If you use the Valvoline "Instant" Oil Change, make sure you know if they will charge extra for oil since that engine holds over 6 quarts.
Some oil change places charge extra for a vehicle that takes more than X quarts.

Frankly I would probably keep it at 10,000 just extend past the year and check it to make sure it did not need top up.

70 bucks doesn't really sound too bad for approved oil and a VW filter.

The 2.5 is a stout, low stressed engine. Prob one of the most reliable mills VW has cranked out lately. I would stick with the 1/10k interval with the approved VW oil, maybe take it out for a good long freeway drive here and there.

$70 at VW dealer is actually very good price and I would hope makes sure correct oil/filters are used and a tech that does so many of the same oil changes so they know the procedure like the back of their hand.

."should i go to a 5k mile oil change in addition to the regular 10k mile service?" I am missing something, where did the 5,000 mile oil change figure come from??
"which manual states is a 1 year, 10k mile interval." Which ever comes first, No?

No it doesn't, but the annual recommendation comes from the concept if you don't even hit 10k in a year there is a good chance the oil is being subjected to a lot of short tripping and should be changed anyway.

thanks all, i will just continue vw dealership oci at 1yr or 10k miles, whichever comes first. i am happy with this base, simplest passat s and its 2.5 n.a. five cylinder engine. sorry, following bitog too closely can sometimes give one a case of “compulsive obsessive overitis” preceded by “overthinking anxiety attack.” cheers.

But an annual once-over never hurt.

I'd keep using the dealer at 10k/1yr.
+1

My sister has a 2013 Jetta 2.5L. I did the maintenance the first 3 years, then she moved about 7 hours away and went to a quick lube. They screwed up the car a few times (leaking oil filter canister, oil drain plug, not filled enough, etc) so she started going to a VW dealer. All of those issues stopped. In some cases the quick lubes were charging almost as much as the dealer, and not even using the correct spec'd oil. She moved closer to home a few months ago, so I'll be doing the changes again, but the dealer did a good job. They even would send a video to her of them walking over the car and any issues they might see.

No it doesn't, but the annual recommendation comes from the concept if you don't even hit 10k in a year there is a good chance the oil is being subjected to a lot of short tripping and should be changed anyway.
That's how I view this - $50-100 a year for maintenance on a vehicle that isn't just sitting is reasonable.

Doesn't mater, that oil will be perfectly fine.
But an annual once-over never hurt.

I'd keep using the dealer at 10k/1yr.

That is true. I believe that is actually the reason for the one year rec... not that the oil is worn out, but to give the car a once over. I'm assuming (and you know what that gets us) and BITOGer can check the tire pressures, oil level and keep an eye out for things.

Nonetheless. Dealer service and 1yr/10,000 for 70 bucks is more than reasonable.

Dealer service and 1yr/10,000 for 70 bucks is more than reasonable.
not to dispute at all but the $70 is just for vw spec oil filter change only at dealer, no more. the 12mo/10k mile service generally comes out a minimum of double that amount, to include tire rotation plus whatever else needs doing. i’m not seeking to cheap out but was simply wondering at 93k mi if halving the 2.5 oci for $70 makes sense. seems the consensus here is no need as the 2.5 is an easy engine and my 12mo now comes at 7k mi. i suppose that the only way to tell for sure is an oil analysis, which i’ve never done. thanks and cheers all.

hello, ive done all servicing per owner’s manual at vw dealership, which manual states is a 1 year, 10k mile interval. this year ive driven less so my 1 year oci arrived at 87k miles in june, when i did the 90k mile service. i’m no longer doing long highway drives, mainly just 20-30 suburban trips with an occasional 60mph stretch. i’ve noticed a bit of a clatter at idle with this n.a. 5 cylinder engine, but nothing terrible or causing reduced performance. mpg is easy 25 town, 36+ highway. should i go to a 5k mile oil change in addition to the regular 10k mile service? if yes, should i simply return to the vw dealer for a $70 synthetic (vw spec) oil & filter change, or try a new vioc where i have some cheaper promotional coupons? i just replaced the tires and battery so likely will keep this otherwise decent, paid off passat for a couple more years. thanks.
This is the BITOG forums... so... at the next OCI pull a sample for a UOA, that will give you a better indication than random internet responses.

Back