Shooting on the street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Section 8 has destroyed very nice neighborhoods in my area. I used to clean carpets at some of those properties and I was literally afraid I was gonna get mugged or my van stolen.

I've watched it happen too in my hometown. There was an area that was always known as "The Flats" because it was a sizable chunk of very flat land by the river... but high enough banks that it has never flooded.

That area was mostly white back when my grandparents were my age and they lived down there for about 15 years back in the late 1950s to mid '60s. It was all blue collar. Around the late 1970s some of the folks down there started to move out... not because they didn't like the area but because two of the big meat packing plants closed up shop so they left for better economic opportunity.

In came the slum lords with and HUD/section 8 housing. Fast forward to when I was in high school in the late 1990s. By then the area was 100% black and consisted of about 95% rentals most of which were HUD. The only non-rental houses were those of the remaining black folks who had lived there back in the 1970s prior to the HUD invasion.

The area is an absolute hole now. The houses are falling apart. If you're white you stay out of that area at night even if you're just passing through (as it is a short cut that bypasses a large portion of town). I was shot at in my car cutting through that area one late night during my senior year in high school. Even in broad daylight its sketchy if you're white to be in that area on foot. In front of dilapidated houses set late 90s to early 2000's Caddy's (Escalades included) with $5k worth of stereo equipment rolling on $5k worth of "dubs".

The cops were sent down there a couple of years ago to break up what ostensibly was a huge block party that had turned into a mob/riot. 3 officers were injured. They threw a brick through the drivers side window of the squad car striking the cop in the head. The two others were pulled from their squad car after the windshield was smashed out with rocks/bricks and beaten for a while until one of them managed to pull his sidearm and fire blindly into the swarm of people around him.

Some of the more "prominent" (aka notorious) members of that neighborhood shot up the local community college's dorms back in the early 2000's and two were responsible for putting a bullet in the head of a gal I was friends with when she was leaving a hotel after a concert/party.

It is like some sort of penultimate culmination of every possible stereotype under the sun... and this is in a small town in the middle of Iowa with less than 27,000 residents.

I read water meters one summer during college and had a knife and a gun pulled on me until the resident figured out I was just "the water man" and not 5-O. Before I was dropped off by the guy in the water department at 7:30AM, he said "Try to get as much done as you can by 10. Once 10 comes around everyone will be out on the streets and its not going to be a fun time for you."

I had an elderly black couple invite me up into their porch for some lemonade and after a few minutes I said, I had to be going. The lady told me, "Hon, you better just wait here for a bit. We had you come up in here because if you look down that way you'll see a group of 7 thugs that started following you about a block back. They're going to do something to you. Just stay here for now and if you can use your radio to call the city and have them pick you up, you should probably do that." which I promptly did.

I've got neighbor problems with some drug dealing rednecks.

During the peak of the troubles, I should have moved. Now that my house is worth nothing, I'm trapped.

Why, oh why didn't I move? Dear lord, that was stupid on my part. I let my pride get in the way. I was not going to let idiot neighbors force me out of the house I built.

Did I mention I should have moved?

I'm the idiot!

I had a real life, draw down with my neighbors, on my property. It was more than a "wake up call" for me. In fact, it affected me greatly. No shots fired, and I won the "fight". However,,,

Life is short, family is precious, neighborhood safety is stunningly important.

Before it came to that, the situation was horrible. I thought I could deal with it. After that event, it got much worse.

Over time, it's settled down. Some of them have been jailed, some have simply moved on, but the family remains. And, we still have occasional problems. They don't forget!

You and your neighbors need to watch the house. I mean closely. Call the cops whenever there is any suspicious activity.

Check this out. My first house - pre 1990 and not in the best section of town, but OK hood. A guy and his adult daughter lived across the street. All was fine, but the dad had some super long term assignment on the east coast. The first few months, no differences, but the daughter really didn't take care of the house.....but it got worse, she starting hoing and all sorts of unsavory dudes would park on our side of the street. I was a bit young and naive, but one day I had enough and called the cops. Cops actually came pretty quickly because what I was describing on the tele was a fairly large drug deal going down......they show, big ol' commotion, etc......only later did I find out it was a heroin deal! BUSTED.

My commiserations. Our family had to flee three times during my lifetime because of similar situations. Each time they moved into a good (at the time) neighborhood.

It seems the ghetto keeps getting larger and larger. It's like we are becoming like Brazil or something. Ghetto is a state of mind and the bad part is the non-ghetto people of limited means get trapped in it.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

This depends:

In my fathers neighborhood, in 1995 it was a fantastic historic section of town, there was diversity in race but everyone seemed to get along, by 2002 three drug dealers moved into the neighborhood (mind you these are houses not appartments). In the summer of 2002 there were 3 drug related shooting on the same block. lots of complaints to the police department. Very little action. time passes and the drug dealers get arrested ect.. now 2011 its a respectable area again. so areas can turn around, it takes a very small amount of "bad element" to turn a otherwise good area bad.

That was a very specific resolution to the problem, not likely to happen all that often, I am painting with a broad brush. If in fact the landlord is taking part in government subsidies such as section 8 to fill his rentals he is not likely to reverse that practice, so what you are going to be looking at is a revolving door of unsavory characters.

I agree with you, and the easiest way to relieve yourself of these troubles is to move. My story of course does not reflect what many deal with in appartment/ section 8 settings..

if you are of limited means (i used to be) pull up your boot straps and better yourself.. it may take time, but anyone can do this.. its a matter of "if your willing to do it" to many people are used to programs.. Lazy, and unwilling to give up the entitlement programs.. they would rather be lasy and tolerate a bad situation, then motivated to self improve and improve there position. my two pennies.

About two hour's drive from me is the town of Lancaster. The mayor is a local attorney named R. Rex Parris.

Many people on Section 8 are decent, but a lot of others are not, and even the decent ones sometimes fail to police visitors to their residences. It is all about being responsible.

This Section 8 business got to be a huge problem out there, crime was skyrocketing, and people were fed up. Since he got elected, Mr. Parris has been very aggressive in cleaning it up, and he has done wonders for that town.

When shootings, drugs, burglaries, etc. are found to come out of people/residences on Section 8, The City of Lancaster gets them terminated from the program, besides getting the miscreants locked up. Free money and housing talk loudly, especially when they get taken away.

Mr. Parris has always made it clear that Section 8 people have nothing to fear if they are responsible and lawful.

It sounds like you need that kind of guy's leadership style where you live.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
if you are of limited means (i used to be) pull up your boot straps and better yourself.. it may take time, but anyone can do this.. its a matter of "if your willing to do it" to many people are used to programs.. Lazy, and unwilling to give up the entitlement programs.. they would rather be lasy and tolerate a bad situation, then motivated to self improve and improve there position. my two pennies.

I'm not talking about people on entitlement programs. I'm talking about the working poor and underemployed and people who would never be elgible for any entitlement programs. Many working people can't just afford to move to a nice area with defalted house values and rent in nice areas what it is. Not everyone can pull themselves up to prosperity. This system can't and won't support it. The opportunities just aren't there. But I don't want to get into that debate.

A private or public nuisance action might be available to you against the owner. You would have to talk to a lawyer licensed in Jersey.

I thought New Jersey had gun control? Sounds like it's not working.

Everyone in the neighborhood chip in and pay the rent....

More seriously, I used to live in a tight knit area where homes were about 20' apart. Unfortunately my direct neighbor was a rented duplex.

I would not assume low income in necessarily makes bad renters. Its more the random folks you get with renters. The home had everything from Section 8 to high income pharm sales reps(worst) in it.

It could get better but rental properties bring everyone out.

I left fortunately at peak market with only 6yrs there (2.5x purchase price) with a large
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Section 8 has destroyed very nice neighborhoods in my area. I used to clean carpets at some of those properties and I was literally afraid I was gonna get mugged or my van stolen.

I've watched it happen too in my hometown. There was an area that was always known as "The Flats" because it was a sizable chunk of very flat land by the river... but high enough banks that it has never flooded.

That area was mostly white back when my grandparents were my age and they lived down there for about 15 years back in the late 1950s to mid '60s. It was all blue collar. Around the late 1970s some of the folks down there started to move out... not because they didn't like the area but because two of the big meat packing plants closed up shop so they left for better economic opportunity.

In came the slum lords with and HUD/section 8 housing. Fast forward to when I was in high school in the late 1990s. By then the area was 100% black and consisted of about 95% rentals most of which were HUD. The only non-rental houses were those of the remaining black folks who had lived there back in the 1970s prior to the HUD invasion.

The area is an absolute hole now. The houses are falling apart. If you're white you stay out of that area at night even if you're just passing through (as it is a short cut that bypasses a large portion of town). I was shot at in my car cutting through that area one late night during my senior year in high school. Even in broad daylight its sketchy if you're white to be in that area on foot. In front of dilapidated houses set late 90s to early 2000's Caddy's (Escalades included) with $5k worth of stereo equipment rolling on $5k worth of "dubs".

The cops were sent down there a couple of years ago to break up what ostensibly was a huge block party that had turned into a mob/riot. 3 officers were injured. They threw a brick through the drivers side window of the squad car striking the cop in the head. The two others were pulled from their squad car after the windshield was smashed out with rocks/bricks and beaten for a while until one of them managed to pull his sidearm and fire blindly into the swarm of people around him.

Some of the more "prominent" (aka notorious) members of that neighborhood shot up the local community college's dorms back in the early 2000's and two were responsible for putting a bullet in the head of a gal I was friends with when she was leaving a hotel after a concert/party.

It is like some sort of penultimate culmination of every possible stereotype under the sun... and this is in a small town in the middle of Iowa with less than 27,000 residents.

I read water meters one summer during college and had a knife and a gun pulled on me until the resident figured out I was just "the water man" and not 5-O. Before I was dropped off by the guy in the water department at 7:30AM, he said "Try to get as much done as you can by 10. Once 10 comes around everyone will be out on the streets and its not going to be a fun time for you."

I had an elderly black couple invite me up into their porch for some lemonade and after a few minutes I said, I had to be going. The lady told me, "Hon, you better just wait here for a bit. We had you come up in here because if you look down that way you'll see a group of 7 thugs that started following you about a block back. They're going to do something to you. Just stay here for now and if you can use your radio to call the city and have them pick you up, you should probably do that." which I promptly did.

That whole area should just be razed.... Incredible.

The problem is that when razed, where do these people go? They need to go somewhere. A lot of NYC folks like this ended up out in the eastern mountains of PA. That went from a quiet country area to one where there were shootings at the wal-mart and ambulances couldnt get in to certain areas because the residents would throw rocks at them.

Nice or not, some more severe means of treatment for people like this need to be implemented.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The problem is that when razed, where do these people go? They need to go somewhere. A lot of NYC folks like this ended up out in the eastern mountains of PA. That went from a quiet country area to one where there were shootings at the wal-mart and ambulances couldnt get in to certain areas because the residents would throw rocks at them.

Nice or not, some more severe means of treatment for people like this need to be implemented.

I was including the people.......

What does your wife say about this gutter scum moving into the neighborhood and causing problems. What do you say if she wants to move?

Cujet,
I heard West of I-95 Jupiter has the most crime (just next to Moroso raceway) lots of break ins, car theft and drugs. I live near Military Trail just South of the hospital.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So Ive complained about the people on the end of the street. They are brought in/screened by the state.

It is essentially forced integration by the owner of section 8 people on the end of our street.

An extremely long time ago when I lived in Newark, I lived very close to the projects. Not long after I moved in, right down the street from where I lived, there was a machine gun shooting between two jilted thugs that merely killed an innocent person who was getting into her car.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'd just move out. Shoot, that's what I did and I'm ecstatic about it, even many years later.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What does your wife say about this gutter scum moving into the neighborhood and causing problems. What do you say if she wants to move?

Cujet,
I heard West of I-95 Jupiter has the most crime (just next to Moroso raceway) lots of break ins, car theft and drugs. I live near Military Trail just South of the hospital.

Wife is well armed...

Jupiter Farms is inexpensive acreage property and attracts a large group of pedo's, druggies, rednecks and other scofflaws. My close friend, the police captain calls it "lawless land". You ought to hear this place late on Fri or Sat night. Gunshots, burnouts, diesel trucks without mufflers doing 80 in a 25 zone, it's a "free for all". I hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back