Not all doctors are smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to browse the motorcycle ads on craigslist and I came upon an ad. The person posted a few pics, some in front of their open garage. One of the pics was the dealer invoice when they bought it. This person blacked out his address but not his name. It took me all of 30 seconds to find out this guy is a doctor and his home address. What a buffoon! I gave him a courtesy email because I’m a motorcyclist myself and suggested he remove the invoice pic and open garage pic. I even sent a screen shot of his house on google street view. Just because you went to college for 7-8 years and got a piece of paper that says your smart, doesn’t mean you are smart. I will take my high school education, my street smarts and common sense and be on my way.

I like to browse the motorcycle ads on craigslist and I came upon an ad. The person posted a few pics, some in front of their open garage. One of the pics was the dealer invoice when they bought it. This person blacked out his address but not his name. It took me all of 30 seconds to find out this guy is a doctor and his home address. What a buffoon! I gave him a courtesy email because I’m a motorcyclist myself and suggested he remove the invoice pic and open garage pic. I even sent a screen shot of his house on google street view. Just because you went to college for 7-8 years and got a piece of paper that says you’re smart, doesn’t mean you are smart. I will take my high school education, my street smarts and common sense and be on my way.
Street Smarts vs Book Smarts. Unfortunately Street Smarts have more to do with how and where you grew up than anything else. It is experience based learning. Somebody who grew up in a really nice neighborhood with a good family and good schools probably never had to witness much crime. So maybe they are not as savvy in dealing with things like this. And that is not a bad thing necessarily.

Dude probably never had to think about this kind of stuff. This is what the younger folks are calling his “privilege” to use the very overused term.

Does this mean anything for a home business where you run the business from and raise a family?
Give out your address, email, social media slop, and several phones.
Also allow limited walk-ins when required. Nope

In my many years of dealing with the public, it is my personal observation that many doctors, college professors, and other academics lack a certain degree of common sense and social skill. They also often display a tendency to look down their noses at the rest of us.

In my many years of dealing with the public, it is my personal observation that many doctors, college professors, and other academics lack a certain degree of common sense and social skill. They also often display a tendency to look down their noses at the rest of us.
In my many years of dealing with professionals, it is my observation that doctors, college professors, and other academics fall into a bell-shaped curve as far as common sense and social skills just like every other group of people and you can not generalize about a profession.

Listen, I see a lot of non-professionals who like to pretend most professionals live in the clouds and are clueless or lack common sense, I suspect because it makes them feel better, but I know quite a few doctors, dentists, lawyers, college professors, and other academics and the vast majority, not all, came from blue-collar families, my self included. I spent my childhood in upstate NY in the woods riding ATVs/dirty bikes, working for a paving company/grocery store/pizzeria, and fixing my own stuff. I haven't lost all the knowledge just because I chose to stay in school. As for looking down at people - perhaps it's because "the rest of us" automatically assumes professionals are idiots knowing nothing about them other than what they decided to do for a living? I have quite a few professional friends and I have quite a few friends who are not and we all get along and we all like being around each other. My best friend is head of maintenance for a group home and he's as smart a person as I know and my go-to for advice and help with stuff outside my very limited training.

There are many different types of intelligence. I work at a University and deal with PhDs daily. Many of them lack so much common sense I'm not sure how they drive to work on their own, but are extremely knowledgeable in their field of expertise. One of my family friends is a surgeon. He knows next to nothing about cars, but I know absolutely nothing about surgery.

I out smarted a Doctor-going to post on this forum. Yea-OK. Doctors are so busy these days-and many have a full patient loads (try looking for a new Doctor) they are not familiar with the ins and out of being online. Only those of use who spend HOURS online are.

I like to browse the motorcycle ads on craigslist and I came upon an ad. The person posted a few pics, some in front of their open garage. One of the pics was the dealer invoice when they bought it. This person blacked out his address but not his name. It took me all of 30 seconds to find out this guy is a doctor and his home address. What a buffoon! I gave him a courtesy email because I’m a motorcyclist myself and suggested he remove the invoice pic and open garage pic. I even sent a screen shot of his house on google street view. Just because you went to college for 7-8 years and got a piece of paper that says your smart, doesn’t mean you are smart. I will take my high school education, my street smarts and common sense and be on my way.
How do you know who blacked out the dealer invoice?

Until you need surgery, or serious medical care.

Then, you wouldn't choose street smart, you'll go looking for the best trained, best educated doctor.

Street smart and good at your profession have never been the same thing.

Or, are you saying that when you need surgery, or cancer treatment, or other serious care, you would rather find someone that did not go to medical school?

Yes absolutely do not confuse people's professions and their success at them, with their overall level of street smarts or intelligence or whatever label you want to give it. My dad was probably the most brilliant person I'll ever know, he had multiple patents, literally more college degrees than I have cars, in his late 20's he was in charge of multiple projects at Nasa, and I can point to parts on the Apollo command modules and the space shuttle and tell you which ones he personally designed. If you said "Dad, whats 250 times 135?" he would look at you, crinkle his brow, and say "Uh...mmm.... 33,750... why, what do you need to know that for?"

That being said, I wouldnt trust the guy to successfully make a peanut butter sandwich without burning it, and if he were still around he probably would probably laugh and not fault me for saying that. My mom would often say he is the smartest idiot you'll ever meet.

A doctor leaving his name visible on an online add? Pbbllt.....big deal.

I throw my anecdote in here.
Many moons ago...
I once dated a teacher.. she had a MBA.. both her parents had multiple doctorates..

not one of them could check or add air to a tire.. let alone complicated stuff such as replacing a wiper blade.

How many people die each year in this country do to medical malpractice? Not every doctor finishes first in their class, some one has to be last in their class. Maybe I shouldn’t had used street smarts, but common sense, yes.

There are many different types of intelligence. I work at a University and deal with PhDs daily. Many of them lack so much common sense I'm not sure how they drive to work on their own, but are extremely knowledgeable in their field of expertise. One of my family friends is a surgeon. He knows next to nothing about cars, but I know absolutely nothing about surgery.

That’s why you see all those Toyota Camry’s with huge dents in their rear bumpers. The demographics of Camry owners lean towards educated people. There is a website about Camry bumper dents, it’s a real thing.

The guy emailed me back and thank me.

How many people die each year in this country do to medical malpractice? Not every doctor finishes first in their class, some one has to be last in their class. Maybe I shouldn’t had used street smarts, but common sense, yes.
Medical malpractice and patient deaths are really complex topics that can't be distilled down to your statement above.

I prefer very old PCP doctors. They are very agreeable, and give you whatever medicines you need without you having to fight with them about prescribing you something as simple as an anti-biotic or cholesterol/high blood pressure medicine.
But the younger doctors don't want to give you any medicine, they are too cautious. Going to younger doctors is like: give them your money and they spend the whole visit telling you why you should'nt get any medicine.

Also, if you've ever had surgery or a broken bone, and are in verifyable severe pain, the older doctors will give you pain medicine, but the younger ones say: "Just take Tylenol".

Last edited:
I prefer very old PCP doctors. They are very agreeable, and give you whatever medicines you need without you having to fight with them about prescribing you something as simple as an anti-biotic or cholesterol/high blood pressure medicine.
But the younger doctors don't want to give you any medicine, they are too cautious. Going to younger doctors is like: give them your money and they spend the whole visit telling you why you should'nt get any medicine.

Also, if you've ever had surgery or a broken bone, and are in verifyable severe pain, the older doctors will give you pain medicine, but the younger ones say: "Just take Tylenol".
Tylenol is pain medicine.

and they didn't all get A's for grades either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back