Shingles

After reading this thread I checked the timing on my second Shingrix shot. Next Tuesday is 6 months from the 1st one, so I scheduled it for Sunday. BITOG can be very useful sometimes!

And here I thought the OP was talking about dollar bills. Father had shingles at one time when living. I got the shot when I turned 65 so hoping to avoid them. At the time of my shot there was just one shot. Hopefully that is enough
You need to get the two shot current vaccine for shingles. Affords much more protection. Don't take a change coming down with shingles and then being left with PHN. For a very low percentage, PHN is a life long sentence of pain. Living it.

You’ll just love that newer vaccine when they stick you. I don’t mind needles one bit and never did but that second shot had me howling. Buck up and be ready. 🫣. It’ll definitely get your attention

I went in for gallbladder surgery and came home with the shingles...
I thought it was a surgical tape reaction but it wasn't
Got lucky, none in the face or scalp..
I hope you get through the shingles attack without any permanent damage to the nerve cells along where the blisters are. PHN is no joke. Regards

I don’t have it but I’ve heard you should start valtrex immediately to alleviate symptoms. 2000mg dose 2x a day for I think 1 or 2 days. Ask you Dr to give you an Rx you can have on standby because time is of the essence to reduce severity. Works for cold sores too.

I had the shingles 10 years ago. I thought that I was too young to have them. I thought that I had gotten into some poison ivy. I had a band 5” wide that ran from just below my sternum and around to the center of my back. Let me tell you, it was rough. I still itch on my back. I doubt that I will take the vaccine. It is uncommon to get the shingles a second time.

I had the shingles 10 years ago. I thought that I was too young to have them. I thought that I had gotten into some poison ivy. I had a band 5” wide that ran from just below my sternum and around to the center of my back. Let me tell you, it was rough. I still itch on my back. I doubt that I will take the vaccine. It is uncommon to get the shingles a second time.
While uncommon, it can still happen. Standard recommendation is to get vaccinated even if you've already had it. It's your life though, gamble with it any way you like. There just doesn't seem to be much ROI on not getting vaccinated. You basically get minor side effects from it that go away in a day or so and you get pretty long and good protection. Or don't get it and gamble that you don't get sick. My co-worker ended up losing an eye due to shingles. Looks like that's a 10-20% risk of eye complication with Shingles. Whether you want to gamble or not, you're already doing so by not getting vaccinated. I just prefer the odds of being vaccinated.

While uncommon, it can still happen. Standard recommendation is to get vaccinated even if you've already had it. It's your life though, gamble with it any way you like. There just doesn't seem to be much ROI on not getting vaccinated. You basically get minor side effects from it that go away in a day or so and you get pretty long and good protection. Or don't get it and gamble that you don't get sick. My co-worker ended up losing an eye due to shingles. Looks like that's a 10-20% risk of eye complication with Shingles. Whether you want to gamble or not, you're already doing so by not getting vaccinated. I just prefer the odds of being vaccinated.

I already know all of that. I also know that my dad got shingles after he had been vaccinated. His case was nearly as bad as mine.

I already know all of that. I also know that my dad got shingles after he had been vaccinated. His case was nearly as bad as mine.
Which one did he get? The older shingles vaccine was only about 51% effective. The newer one, Shingrix came out in 2017 and was in short supply for a long while. Shingrix is 91-97% effective, more like 97% for younger people and 91 for older people.

It just basically boils down to playing the odds. Wearing seat belts won't automatically save everyone's life in an accident, it's just a mitigation method. Getting vaccinated just reduces your odds, but doesn't eliminate it.

Which one did he get? The older shingles vaccine was only about 51% effective. The newer one, Shingrix came out in 2017 and was in short supply for a long while. Shingrix is 91-97% effective, more like 97% for younger people and 91 for older people.

It just basically boils down to playing the odds. Wearing seat belts won't automatically save everyone's life in an accident, it's just a mitigation method. Getting vaccinated just reduces your odds, but doesn't eliminate it.
Sounds like something I was told in the recent past. “95% effective at preventing €0¥|§” That was false. My wife and I were fully vaccinated and still got sick.

as noted insulin is KEY, not only but almost health issues stem from high insulin thats rarely measured + the professionals note fasting glucose shows little + you can even have a good A1C while your body is becoming insulin resistant while pumping out a lot of insulin to TRY to control blood glucose from POOR food choices + too much food as well as eating + drinking things that spike insulin too often!!

many vaccines are over rated as there are few "blockbuster" $$$$$ drugs these days + big pharma looks to making millions one way or the other!!! i had that last statement quite a while ago + it rings true these days!

Sounds like something I was told in the recent past. “95% effective at preventing €0¥|§” That was false. My wife and I were fully vaccinated and still got sick.
How can you say it was false when they never said it was 100%? That meant you had a 5% chance although the real numbers vary depending on age group and other reasons so it's 91-97% effective. Bad luck if you happen to be in the 3-9% range where it isn't effective. But not false even if you did get sick.

Back