Shingles

I did see my ophthalmologist and he did a eye checkup and gave me some eye drops to use every day. Gads, I would hat to loose my sight. Thanks for the input and aadvice. Ed

I developed a case of singles about 3 weeks ago. The affected area is my right-side head above my eye including my eyelid. I got an antivirus medication and some salve. How long does this condition normally last from those have had it?
You need to get the medicine within 48 hours to really get shingles taken care of quickly.

Had you gotten the vaccine for shingles?

I guess getting it in the eye isn't that uncommon.

I think he meant shingles.

Be very careful with the eye infection. Someone in my office got it there and it affected his vision. He eventually lost sight in his eye. A good reason to get the Shingles vaccine like Shingrix if eligible.
There is a newer and much better Shingles vaccine. Zooster I believe. Two shots.

There is a newer and much better Shingles vaccine. Zooster I believe. Two shots.
You have it the other way around. Zostavax was the old one and was a single shot. The new one is Shingrix and it's two shots. The old one was only about 51% effective and the new one is more like 91-97% effective depending on age so the old one is actually discontinued and if you got the old shot, you should get new shot.

That's a good question. As bad as that sounds, I don't believe I ever asked my doctor! I assumed it was a once and done thing. Probably not the case.

Be aware that shingles can hit at any age, not just in the elderly. A cousin had it in his 20s, and yes, it was close to his eye. He fully recovered AFAIK.

At age 12 I had chickenpox. At age 57 last year I received the two Shingrix shots. Had no real problems from those except a sore arm for a day afterward.

I think this thread is convincing me to get vaccinated. :unsure:
Don't think twice about this big A. Pain caused by damaged nerve cells is more intense than pain caused by injury to skin and organs. Some pain questionnaires ask to describe the pain by using a list. I always check all of them because in a severe PHN attack, one will run the gamut for describing their pain. Not only are PHN attacks painful beyond belief, they also bring a feeling of being very ill, which lasts for days after pain has subsided. PHN is like living with a time bomb that could go off at any moment. Get the vaccinations even if you have to pay for them out of your own pocket. PHN will ruin your life.

Back