shell ultra 5w40 vs motul 8100 oil control rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand why you think VI's cause significant deposits in a diesel. The main causes of deposits in a diesel are too long an OCI in relation to the amount of active detergents in the oil, excessive blowby, bad fuel or bad injectors.
The main reason the big trucks don't use 0 or 5w40 oils is that they are much more expensive than a 15w40 dino oil.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I can't understand why you think VI's cause significant deposits in a diesel.

Perhaps because he knows this to be the case?

I mention that 2-stroke diesels spec. straight weight oils above. That's obviously a special/extreme case, but special/extreme cases are often instructive.

2-stroke diesels use a lot of oil, and coke-up their exhaust valves if that oil contains a lot of VI's, which straight-weight oils don't

As I understand it, a straight weight oil would be superior in this case but there's some doubt as to the quality of their dispersant packages, because they have been left behind by the market and are not actively developed or marketed.

Due to a big oil leak which took me a while to fix, I'm using a blend (maybe roughly 50-50) of CPC straight 40 and Mobil Delvac MX 15/40 at the moment. That's an accident, but I'm starting to think it might be a pretty good plan, except that its something of an unknown quantity. I used to use straight 40 Delvac here and if I could still get it I'd still be using it.

The limited data I've seen on low/slow top-end/valve gear lubrication using straight/thick oils suggests this is generally exaggerated, at least at the sort of ambient temperatures likely here. My hunch is that it'd be more than compensated for by the extension of hydrodynamic lubrication, but I could easily be wrong. If you have any contrary data, I'd be interested in seeing it.

At least here Down-Under, many vehicles allow far thicker oils than their counterparts in the USA.

A 2003 Corolla (1ZZ-FE) and 2003 Prado (1GR-FE) engines would both spec a 5w30 in the USA, full-stop, end of story etc. Down here, 15w40 and even an xW-50 are acceptable in the same engines.

In regards to 2-stroke engines like your Detroit-Diesels, I did some reading of my own recently, and it isn't just exhaust valve coking that is an issue. Cylinder liner wear, excessive oil consumption are two others that come to mind. One example I found was a DD V8 of some sort switched back to a mono-40, slowly over time and lots of hard use, the consumption issue negated and it wasn't so much of a smoker anymore.

Originally Posted By: "UltraFanUK"
The main causes of deposits in a diesel are too long an OCI in relation to the amount of active detergents in the oil, excessive blowby, bad fuel or bad injectors.

In addition to excessive idling, or failing to run the engine at its rated output enough. The engine never gets to temperature and cylinder glazing is the result.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Originally Posted By: Ducked
There was a recent thread that educated me a bit about 2-stroke diesels. These spec. straight weight oils because multigrades coke up the exhaust valves with partially burnt viscosity index improvers.

Might the rings in this case also be gummed up with partially burnt viscosity index improvers?

Continuing that line of enquiry, and extending the logic in the above discussion, if a 20/50 is good, might a straight 40 or 50 be better?

In Adelaide I assume you could probably choose your weather appropriately for the experiment, or rig some means of pre-heating the sump.

Re brake fluid as ring groove cleaner, havn't tried it, but I have used it to clean a couple of gummed-up carburettors and it worked pretty well, so I'd say it had potential.

Ducked,

The link between deposits and VII polymer content tends to be very strong in all diesel engines; both 2-stroke and 4-stroke. For a long time HDDO development had focussed around 15W40 and I suspect this is partly because moving to any other wider cross-grade would have made the job of the DI pack in countering deposit formation borderline impossible.

As regards Lobe's problem, would a straight grade be better for freeing his stuck oil ring, I think the answer could be yes but not necessarily. If you go right to the start of the thread, you'll see I suggested a 20W40 would be better than a 20W50 if he could find one. I said this on the basis that the 20W40 would contain less VII & marginally more heavy base stock. I also figured, a 20W40 PCMO would contain the same level of DI as the 20W50 (it's how matrix based oil programs work). However, had I suggested an SAE 40 oil, I'm not sure I would have had any confidence that the oil would have contained as much additive. Monograde PCMOs aren't mainstream and tend to be something of a lottery in terms of DI treat. I would therefore hesitate in recommending one for Love's trial over the Shell HX3 which for me is much more of a known quantity.

Hope that answers your question...

Very thorough and to the point answer, thanks

If you compare oils it's best to compare ones in the same API or Acea groups, otherwise there will be differences.
For those readers that don't look at VOA results, or are tempted to use non major brand oils, I would bear in mind that the worst performance supermarket brand oils available are often 20w50's.

Thinking that thicker oils reduce engine wear is just not correct, as you slow down the oil flow around the top end it results in hot spots, shorter HG life and although it might be good for the main bearings, higher upper cylinder wear rates. Most petrol engines are design spec for Xw30's and most disels for Xw40's and you should only use heavier oils if you have a good reason, like badly worn main bearings.
Moving up one grade seems to be OK in most cases IF the oil flow around the top end is good (Use an idle flush etc), BUT moving up 2 grades is defintely not.

Stuck rings have several different causes and in reality are very rare these days. Detonation issues from the use of bad fuel, bad injectors and too long an OCI or using the wrong oil can all cause rings to stick, although corrosion from long periods of storage is probably the main cause.
There have been a few design issues with higher ring pressures and the use of 20 grades in some engines causing the oil control rings to stick.

If you do have an engine prone to the oil scraper rings causing trouble, don't use thick oil as it does not clean as well as the OEM spec oil will, assuming it has the same amount of detergents. The best thing to do is use a good cleaner oil like Mobil 1 0w40, Amsoil or best of all Shell Ultra or the Penn equivalent AND use a major brand idle flush just before changing the oil & filter. If the compression rings are sticking, make sure the timing is correct, use good fuel and make sure the injetors are gum free by using a major brand fuel additive.

Piston soaks do work but are messy and no good for a diesel. If the block is worn they can result in difficult starting issues in winter, due to the resulting compression loss if Carbon deposits were helping the rings to seal.

So many assertions, so many points to refute! From the top then...

Supermarket 20W50s are the worst performers. Really? Supermarkets don't actually make their own oil, they buy it all in either from a major (Tesco usually have Castrol oils on their shelves) or an independent oil blender (for example Morris Lubricants) who put oil in Tesco own-brand cans. The independents don't do oil tech themselves. They go to the big AddCo's like Lubrizol and buy DI, VII & PPD which they blend with base oil, can and distribute. The 'recipe' oil blends they make are fully supported by exactly the same raft of engine & rig tests that support the equivalent major's oil. Given that engine test programs are so horrendously expensive and are, in the main, developed by the AddCo's, it's not unusual to see a major and an independent using EXACTLY THE SAME oil system. And because of the way matrix oil development works, the 20W50 will if anything be over-formulated because it contains the same amount if DI as say the much more severe 10W40 grade. Might the 20W50 be cheapest oil on the shelf and have the least luggage labels (maybe it just says SG/CD) on the side of the can? Well yes but things aren't necessarily what they seem. Classic marketing drives everything in the direction of offering a 'meets needs'/better/best cascade that shifts the price upwards. 20W50 is the 'meets needs' grade. If the 20W50 in reality did SM/CF/A3/B4/MB/VW/etc why would you put that on the can when you could just put SG/CD to cater for those people who always buy the cheapest stuff? So in short, supermarket 20W50's are in my experience good oils.

Next, thicker oils do not reduce wear...

If that is correct, then you've just turned one if the fundamental principles of oil formulation on it's head. The API's Sequence IVA and ACEA's TU3MS wear tests function in tandem with their associated Viscosity Grade Read-across Tables which have evolved over many years to reflect an established reality. These tables are predicated on the basis that wear improves as oils get thicker and as base oil viscosity increases. If there's a legitimate 'yes but' challenge to this, then there are a lot of oils out there won't be fit for purpose and I don't believe that's the case.

As regards 'thick oils slowing down flow to the top end', this just doesn't sound right to me. First off, your oil pump is a constant volumetric pump designed to shift a fixed volume of oil for a given engine speed. Its throughput isn't affected by oil viscosity like a centrifugal pump's would be. And having said that, if you go back to the fundamentals of fluid flow (Reynolds numbers and Prandtl numbers are all that good stuff) viscosity is generally never a big effect on flow rate in any circumstance. All it would do is create a bit more friction and increase your oil pressure. And there's the final thing. Everyday, everywhere, every engine more than adequately copes with oils over a massive viscosity range. This is because the engine starts from cold (when oil viscosity is very high) and gets hot (when oil is thin). If what you are saying was true, for ALL OILS, the top end should be starved of oil at start-up and that patently isn't the case.

Next, 'stuck rings are rare these days'...Lobe, do you hear that? You're one in a million! Do you want to say something here? Maybe now's the time to fess up that you've been abusing your mega-expensive BMW by putting the cheapest supermarket 20W50 in the sump, running 30,000 mile OCIs, running it on fuel that you reclaimed from rancid chip oil and then leaving it in a cave for ten years to rust up! Yes, it's all your fault! And that applies to all of you other windgers on BITOG with your Toyotas and your Hondas and your Audis and your Subarus that guzzle oil. Bloody attention seekers the lot of you! (sarcastic rant over)..

You really should read up on top end oil flow rates, as they are slower the thicker the oil, why HG's fail from overheating, oil pump cavitation, cold start wear (Very high with thick oils) factors and why an oil filter goes into bypass for longer when too thick an oil is used.

I've never heard that Castrol made any supermarket oils before!

If you read up on why turbo bearings wear out or fail, about half of then fail from vane impacts due to bad non OEM standard air filters or muppets that fail to vacuum out the air filter housing when changing filters, as all it takes is one tiny flake of rust to hit the vane at high revs to damage it and ruin the balance which then wears the bearings. From the lubrication point of view, most of the wear relates to cold start right boot or hot shut down issues. Good new turbo's have electric follow on oil pumps that prevent hot shut issues by maintaining oil flow.

The only way to figure out which viscosity is best is to do a UOA series, as every engine is different, subject to different use and in a different condition. If you want to test a thick oil, try a 15w40, as there are more good major brand 15w40's available than 20w50's. A lot of folks don't understand that a 15w40 is thicker at operating temps than an 0w40 (See the widemans oil viscosity calculator), as the two SAE figures are for specific temps and viscosity vs oil temp is a curve etc.

The best oil to use for a TDI that is in such a bad condition that the rings are sticking is not a 20w50, but a real good major brand full synthetic like Shell Ultra 0w30 or 40 and oddly enough Shells claims for the lowest ring deposits were based on the performance of Ultra 0w30, not Ultra 5w40. I wonder why that is, because they have the same additives, perhaps it has to do with increased upper cylinder flow rates!

I can't understand why you think VI's cause significant deposits in a diesel. The main causes of deposits in a diesel are too long an OCI in relation to the amount of active detergents in the oil, excessive blowby, bad fuel or bad injectors.
The main reason the big trucks don't use 0 or 5w40 oils is that they are much more expensive than a 15w40 dino oil.

Ultrafan,
Euro OEMs for years now use both 5w40 and 5w30 oils in their heavy OTR machines. With maximum OCI up to 100k km. Actually, one would struggle to find Euro built truck /bus that specifies anything other in the EU.

You really should read up on top end oil flow rates, as they are slower the thicker the oil, why HG's fail from overheating, oil pump cavitation, cold start wear (Very high with thick oils) factors and why an oil filter goes into bypass for longer when too thick an oil is used.

Like I said above, if you cite some available sources I'd be happy to, but so far, the very little data I've seen relevant to these common assertions suggests they are greatly exaggerated.

The only way to figure out which viscosity is best is to do a UOA series, as every engine is different, subject to different use and in a different condition. If you want to test a thick oil, try a 15w40, as there are more good major brand 15w40's available than 20w50's. A lot of folks don't understand that a 15w40 is thicker at operating temps than an 0w40 (See the widemans oil viscosity calculator), as the two SAE figures are for specific temps and viscosity vs oil temp is a curve etc.

The best oil to use for a TDI that is in such a bad condition that the rings are sticking is not a 20w50, but a real good major brand full synthetic like Shell Ultra 0w30 or 40 and oddly enough Shells claims for the lowest ring deposits were based on the performance of Ultra 0w30, not Ultra 5w40. I wonder why that is, because they have the same additives, perhaps it has to do with increased upper cylinder flow rates!

The best way to understand performance of oil is to run engine tests that are designed to cause ringstick. For example the VW TDI test as used by VW and ACEA as the basis for diesel piston cleanliness.

UOA tends to be a tool within other datasets. But single data point comparisons are not going to tell you much about the oils performance. Especially with engine cleanliness

Where are these ringstick cleanliness claims ? The shell ultracleab claims on based on sequence VG gasoline engine sludge.

As for best oil if stuck rings ...If rings are stuck then it's usually too late anyway.

Back from a very long lunch now.

Comments on the comments are....

Once upon a time, virtually everyone in the UK used 20W50 and guess what? Head gaskets survived, oil pumps didn't cavitate and the filter by-pass stayed shut even on the coldest of winters days (provided the filter wasn't blocked with crud). In those days we were concerned with more pressing problems, like have your sills rusted away to nothing or your entire handbrake coming off in your hand.

It's been a while since I did any serious work on pumps but cavitation is all to do with pumps pulling a negative pressure that goes below the fluid's vapour pressure yes? Well at any given temperature, a 20W50 will exhibit a lower vapour pressure than any other viscosity grade (except maybe a 20W40) so will have GREATER resistance to cavitation. I can't help but think your getting things confused somewhere along the line.

You must be a Waitrose man. My local Tesco sells GTX, Magnatec & Edge as well as their range of own-brand oils both in-store and in the service station.

I don't think even the guys at Pangbourne believe that '90% of wear occurs in the first three minutes' nonsense any more so it's strange to hear it coming from Shell.

BD's right, the Shell cleaniless claims are based on VG valve train sludge clean-up and has naff all to do with rings.

Finally, yes, if you're worried about oil ring stick, it's sensible to use an oil that's gone through a test like the TDi which specifically looks at ring stick. However that's to completely miss the entire point of this thread which is what are you supposed to do if like Lobe, you've bought a top-end motor, serviced it regularly with top whack, synthetic oil and STILL end up with a stuck oil ring and horrible oil loss??? This is an oil problem so Lobe is entitled to some help here.

Will a 20W50 mineral unstick an oil ring once it's stuck? Maybe, maybe not but it's based on a thought through rationale so it's deffo worth a go. Would the ring have stuck in the first place had Lobe used 20W50 from new? That's easy to answer, it's a definite no. Someone might legitimately ask why that is so?

I read some of the comments from the industry professionals with your lame excuses and denials of responsibility and you remind me of the alcoholic who is never going to get better until he first admits he's got a problem...

Last edited:
I really can't understand why anyone would think using a thicker oil than OEM spec would help unstick the rings, although using a good cleaner oil might help, if you don't want to risk a piston soak due to cold start issues (More of a problem in winter), using an idle flush additives before every oil & filter change can be very effective if the problem is with the oil control rings. If it's with the compression rings, then make surte the injectors are clean bu using a fuel additive and try an Italian tune up to burn out the Carbon.

In the old days they were not able to make good multigrade oils, in fact some frolks just used straight oils during summer, so 20w50 and 15w40 oils were very popular for diesels, although many cars used 10w30.
HG failures, broken rings and worn main bearings were all more common than they are now. The improvement in additives with modern oils has caused main bearing failures to be fairly rare.

I've never read an article from Shell saying that 90% of start up wear is from the first 3 minutes, although it might be true if you use a cheap 20w50 in an normal gas engine, or even a diesel.
A more realistic figure is 50% from cold starts, which is why additives are so important.

If you are a go thick fan, try using an oil like Mobil 10w60 which is in 2 versions, one for high mileage vehicles and the other for race applications. Those oils are better as regards cold start issues.

I should not have mentioned cavitation, as that only occurs if your oil system blocks up due to deposts or very cold starts too near the cold pour point. It's not really relevant to this discussion although it's more likely to occur with a thicker oil.

The Shell claims are for a specific ring cleanliness test and were on their UK web site, although they are now claiming Ultra is now the best oil for sludge prevention. The claim for the rings was only for their 0w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Ultrafan,
Euro OEMs for years now use both 5w40 and 5w30 oils in their heavy OTR machines. With maximum OCI up to 100k km. Actually, one would struggle to find Euro built truck /bus that specifies anything other in the EU.

Thanks for that info as I was not aware they had changed from the use of 15w40 trucks oils. Oddly enough they have also started to use thinner auto box fluids, some of which are very close the the minimum viscosity to prevent metal to metal contact occuring. The newest truck and box auto boxes have real filters and can only use some very special fluids due to the need for higher levels of wear related additives.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
The best thing to unstick rings is a high detergent and dispersant oil. Viscosity is not as relevant as additive performance

Care to recommend a product?

One more time...

Viscosity IS irrelevant with regard to unsticking a stuck oil control ring but the aromaticity/solvency of the base oil ISN'T irrelevant, especially at the coldest end of the piston where deposits are most likely to come out of solution. And if you're looking where to find the most aromatic/hetroatomic species in base oil, you will find them in the heaviest fractions of solvent extracted mineral base oil such as Esso 600SN or Shell HVI 650, not in Yubase 4 or GTL4 and certainly not in any grade of PAO.

Viscosity per se IS also irrelevant to the creation of 'burnt oil' deposits but given that base oil boiling range defines the vapour pressure it exerts at say, a typical sump temperature of 100C, it consequently defines how much oil vapour is taken into the blow-by gas exiting the crankcase, to traverse the PCV system and end up being burnt in the combustion chambers. Base oils with the highest boiling range, stuff like Esso 600SN and Shell HVI 650, will exert the lowest vapour pressure and lose the least amount of oil to blow-by. If you need proof positive of this compare a 20W40 mineral to a 10W40 on the TU5 or the Seq IIIG.

Finally viscosity ISN'T directly relevant to VII decomposition deposits and their impact on ring stick but if you compared a mineral 20W40 to a full mineral 10W40 on the VW Tdi you would find the former to be excellent and the latter to be truly terrible.

So to sum up, if your looking for an oil to try and free up a stuck oil ring, given that most oils come dosed up with the usual mix of additives, you want the one that has the highest base oil aromaticity and the highest solvency for crud. If you want that oil to not add to your deposits that stuck your oil control ring in the first place, you want the one that has the lowest Noack and the lowest VII loading. You will find exactly these properties in a 20W40 mineral oil but given that these aren't readily commercially available, the next best thing to use is a 20W50.

Now do you understand because I'm slowly losing the will to live explaining this over and over to people who should know this stuff as second nature...

G'day SonofJoe,

Again thanks for the great insight over the weekend, very interesting. I have plenty to read up on, thankyou again.

Yep there are plenty of e46 owners like me with oils consumption problems in the m54 engines on the forums who have all used "high quality this that and the other oil" who have these problems. Some are one owner cars with the owners doing the oil changes or the oil history is known and are cars where the CCV system has been maintained, with its vacuum system operating as it should, yet still have oil ring problems and oil use. Some try to solve it or work around it using various methods some just ignore it and keep tipping in the M1 0w40, Amsoil, Redline etc.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
I'm agreeing completely with what you are saying.

Just wanted to address ultrafans comment on 0W-30s

Apologies. I misunderstood the context.

Just a thought...

Is there any PR mileage for Castrol in putting together 'something special' in the lab for Lobe's Beemer to see if you can get his oil control ring freed? I'm thinking a tight 20W40 based on Esso 600SN, Sv 261 trim, 12 TBN (Ca, Phenate?), maybe 8% of Hitec 646, 1000 ppm of Phos (any), 1.5% DPA (for the aromaticity) plus any cats and dogs you might think might help. It's not going to be an oil that's going to have to last. It's more a short, sharp shock to the system. I heard Shell took the BMW business so you might say it's their problem but it you've ever worked with Shell, you would realise such things are impossible without The Board signing off on it first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back