Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 on old BMWs-Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in my 95 525i with almost 220,000 miles. Opinions?
I currently use Pennzoil HM 10w40 with no issues. Just hear that this oil is very good.

Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:
I think it'll work fine, although something like M1 HM 10w-30 is priced about the same. I'd be inclined to use the M1 before I use T6, but I don't have a good reasoning for it, other than the fact that M1 should be more shear stable.

Originally Posted By: Russell
I am considering using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in my 95 525i with almost 220,000 miles. Opinions?
I currently use Pennzoil HM 10w40 with no issues. Just hear that this oil is very good.

Thanks for your opinion.

Russell, I think that oil would be great in your Bimmer.
I'm actually thinking on using that myself. Why don't you
try synthetic Valvoline Maxlife. I've been using that in my
Bimmer for 5 years. It was available for a short time back
then and lucky I stocked up. Now, I may have to go State
side to get it or switch to T6.

I used Rotella T6 in our E39. Worked well. I never noticed any difference between that and M1 0w-40. Car ran great on either oil. I kept it simple and stuck to changing the oil every 7-8k, which was twice a year. When I pulled the valve cover to replace the gasket we had been running Rotella for 2 years, and everything was nice yellow with no varnish, and car had no consumption with either oil.

My 318i always likes Rotella 5w-40. Id definitely use it, and if you look, there are deals that are $5-10 cheaper than the next one Id use, which is M1 HM 10w-40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
although something like M1 HM 10w-30 is priced about the same. I'd be inclined to use the M1 before I use T6, but I don't have a good reasoning for it.

Actually I'd recommend M1 HM 5W-30 instead for it's higher VI and it is still quite a bit heavier than M1 0W/5W/10W-30.
T6 5W-40 unless you have a significant oil consumption issue is considerably heavier than necessary for your L6 Bimmer engine.
The heaviest oil I would consider using would be M1 0W-40 which can be had quite cheaply when bought on sale.

For a BMW that's middle-age, not old. I have the same engine and always use M1 0w-40, which is currently on sale at O'Reilly (I think).

Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40 worked very well in my 318i, and could have gone way beyond the 4K I ran it.
Maxlife would be a good choice for an old BMW, and it is pretty cheap.
Rotella T6, in its current formulation, does not seem to be a standout oil, judging from the UOAs in that forum.
It does not appear to have great TBN retention in gas engines, as opposed to those using ULSD.

I own a m30 powered 1989 535i. T6 is a fine choice, but I am running Mobil1 0w-40 without leaks or significant oil consumption. You win with either oil.

Thanks everyone. Tried to find T6 synthetic today in quarts. No luck at Advance, Autozone or O'Rileys. Will check Walmart. May stick to my Pennzoil HM 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
WM carries both - gallons and quarts.

Thanks, Bought the Rotella T-6 this morning 5w40. BTW, my car seemed to hate Mobil-1 0w40 it was so loud. it was much quieter on different, mostly heavier oils. I hope this 5w40 is not noisy. I have just heard that it is an excellent oil. We shall see.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back