Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 in Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an RTS UOA on a Legacy 2.5i somewhere in the uoa forum. It was pretty good, IIRC.

Peter, you can blame SoA for the confusion IMO. A few years ago, a couple of guys from their tech department were in an Edmunds chat. One of them said that you have to stay with synthetic once you switch.

You're not really in any gear with CVT, are you?
55.gif

-Dennis

To the OP-
Dennis will help you with your oil choice. He's our resident subaru oil and filter expert. The T6 sounds like a good starting spot - but if forced to use GF4/5 cert oils - I would be at a loss. Motul x-max bmw LL-01 approved 5w-30 may be a good choice too, but you may have to mailorder it. The Mobil M1 0w-40 is an easy grab with a long, high-end approval list.

Last edited:
Hey Arco, why do you run a SM spec'd dino 5w30 in your boxer if you don't recommend it?

To the OP, Rotella T6 and M1 0w40 are good choices within spec. Alternatively, you can look at M1 TDT 5w40, which is an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Hey Arco, why do you run a SM spec'd dino 5w30 in your boxer if you don't recommend it?
it developed a moderate knock 10 miles off the lot new, so I put whatever 5w-30 GF4 is onsale in it to force the issue. The 5w30 DS i'm using now is definitely too thin for this engine, showing a loss of torque and high consumption. Last summer I ran RT 10w-30 in it and it got good mileage and ran well even with the rap rap rap. Just waiting for something to "dislocate" in the engine. The selling Dealer doesnt hear any noise ( been there three times to get it resolved), next, an independant subaru master tech and former local subaru service manager thought it was excessive wrist pin noise; but to me It sounds like a rod big-end clearance issue.

I have two Subarus, and the upgrade to 5W40 synthetic sounds like a good plan to deal with the extra load. Rotella T 5W40, Mobil 1 0W40, Amsoil DEO 5W40, RP 5W40 are all good choices. Get what you can with the lowest cost of ownership.

The CVT transmission is continuously variable. It's a steel belt driven by a variable pulley similar in concept to a snowmobile transmission. Like I said I'm not concerned about towing a light trailer with it. The OM spec's "either" ILSAC GF-4 or API SM oil. It sounds like Shell Rotella 5W-40,M1 0W-40 or Amsoil 5W-40 are my likely choices. Any Recommendations for a good filter to go with them?

Purolator has the closest bypass spec, so they would be my choice. OEM is a fram/honeywell made clone with Subaru's 23psi bypass spec. If you don't mind the Fram design, they would be a good choice. I currently use the black Tokyo Roki filter, which I think was the last *really* well built filter for subarus. I don't think you'll find them anymore. Once my stash of them run out, I'll most likely be using Purolators or OEM.

Originally Posted By: HDNVALLEY
Any Recommendations for a good filter to go with them?
wix 51356 (not 65 spec'd).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
To the OP-
Dennis will help you with your oil choice. He's our resident subaru oil and filter expert.

Thank you, but easy with that word expert.
55.gif
The experts have Tribologist under their names or have worked for an oil company, etc. I'm a Subaru and oil enthusiast. I can't find the 2.5i uoa though.

19.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back