Shear with Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Others doing the recommended drains especially at 7500 miles from bulk oil..."

Bob-- My assumption is that you take the reports (and your picture) of bulk oil tanks seriously?

Given the condition of the fittings and container, was my suposition of (potentially) SL on the top, SE on the bottom, a mistaken one?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
[QB]Richard, I suspect your oil change intervals was not the recommended 5-7500 miles but less, correct?

Correct. 3-5k intervals.
quote:

Also, it appears that you were using a synth of some sorts which seems to have proven out to have a good detergency.

Nope. Just whatever oil was on sale. Mostly Wal-Mart 10W-30 and Exxon Superflo 10W-30.

The Ford 300I6 used helical cut gears (IIRC) for the timing gears.

I do not believe they were lubed at all!!!

Most 300 I6s last 300,000+ miles.

Many economy cars like mine, have sumps of 3.9qts. Is this the trend and why are they going smaller?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Many economy cars like mine, have sumps of 3.9qts. Is this the trend and why are they going smaller?

Here's some ideas:
1) Don't need as much since there's less surface area to lubricate than the larger engines.
2) Less heat generated therefore less stress on the oil, less cooling required.
3) Reduced size and weight of the pan - Easier fit
4) Less cost to factory fill.
5) More profit in the service centers when they charge for an oil change.

buster, when he said economy car, I wasn't thinking of some of these performance 4 cyl cars. If it's the 30-40mpg cars he's talking about those shouldn't get too hot, but I could be wrong. I was using some simple logic that if it burns less fuel, then there's less heat to dissipate. But it really depends on how well the overall cooling system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back