Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My brother gave me a Merker 33C to try out; it took a little getting used to and it takes a very soft touch, but I have to say, it produces a better shave than a modern razor. I've been doing a 2 pass shave; one with, one against the grain, lathering both times. Less irritation, less in grown hairs.

I've used a safety razor 3 times now and I am sold. My face hasn't felt and looked this good in, well, probably before I started shaving! 2 light passes; one with and then one against the grain. It's actually kind of a pleasure to shave with the Merker.

I use a variety of razors and blades.Gillette superspeeds,gillette adjustables,Star DE,GEM Single edge in Featherweight and Micromatic flavors,And a Shavette type razor(which is the folding razor that uses a de blade broken in half.).The razor used depends on my mood and time constraints and blades that I have available.I have less than 30 bucks tied up in my dozen or so razors.There is something satisfying about using an item that was made to last for decades.

The blades are a variety--Derby,Personna,Wilkinson Sword,Astra green various dollar store brands.In general stay away from Dorco's made in Korea,some dollar stores have switched to this supplier.Not good for western heavy beards.The rest are usually good,although the astras are very razor specific.

My favorite is the old Star 3piece DE,very smooth shaver.At times to experience a bit of time travel I'll break out one of the single edge razors and give it a go.SE's take a different angle in use but will give a remarkable shave with quite a bit of aural feedback as the whiskers are cut.

I use a variety of creams,soaps,gels,brushes etc.Good prep is vital to a good shave.

I usually shave before showering,sometimes afterwards,sometimes in the shower.Although usually during shower shaves I usually use a disposable.It only takes one time of a soap slippery heavy razor with a very sharp blade being dropped and plummeting past some important bits to make that decision.Usually without a mirror ,just by feel while in the shower.

Followed up with a nice cool water rinse and some nice aftershave.
I'm set for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back