Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Those of you who shave in the shower, do you have a fog-proof mirror in there?

I can't imagine shaving without looking in the mirror. I need to see what I'm doing.
smile.gif

Even with a mirror, I still miss the occasional spot. No way I could do it by feel.

I can't imagine shaving without looking in the mirror. I need to see what I'm doing.
smile.gif

I don't need a mirror. I know where my face is.

I am in awe of anyone who can shave with a DE safety razor by feel. Truly. If you can do it with a cutthroat, I worship you!

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112

smile.gif

Nope, do it by feel. In short time, it becomes 2nd nature...

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I used to use a Schick and that thing sucked. I went to a Gilette Mach 3 and then went up to a Gilette Fusion Pro Glide. I like the Pro Glide better but the Mach 3 is/was pretty stellar too...

All this discussion got me researching Proglide Power blades online and they can now be found for about $2.50 each on Ebay. I think I'm going back to the ProGlide Power
smile.gif

WAHT
crazy2.gif

I BE SRRFIN E-BAY NOW

Wilkinson Sword Trac II carts are 35 cents each at Walmart. The more recent 3, 4 and 5 blade models from Gillette and Schick are not 6-8x better.

If you want to get fancy, use the Trac II for the first pass with the grain, and use a more expensive razor for the 2nd and 3rd passes across and against the grain after the Trac II has cleared out most of the stubble.

This will triple the life of your fancy razor.

I've found the best bang for my buck to be the Schick Extreme 3 disposable razors; 24 pack from Sams for 20 bucks. I can get about 10 shaves out of one razor by drying the blades after every use, and using rubbing alcohol to sanitize them.

The biggest thing I've found is to not cheap out on shaving cream; I use Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel with Shavesecret shave oil as a preshave.

I bought 30 BIC single edge disposables. For 5$! I'm still on the first razor, though it is about done. 2-3 months. I think. I shave about 3-4 times a week, directly after a shower. The shaving cream I polished the mirror with is still holding back the fog. I will record the date when I start using the next one. I not cheap, I'm thrifty.
laugh.gif

smile.gif

Just a regular $3 mirror from Big Lots that's I wipe off the fog half way when I'm in the shower.

Using Gillette Mach3 disposable right now & Equate (WalMart) brand shave gel. I have no preference to razor brand, as long as it's one of the 3 or 5 blade style and good quality.

If shaving in the shower, blind - no mirror just need to even out the side-burns after in the mirror

I have a high end braun foil shaver that I use. Manual blades always tore my face up no matter what I did. I just pay the $27 for a new head every 12-18 months. The unit cost me around $160 new I believe. Had it for two and a half years and don't plan to ever go back to manual blades. I love the electric shavers especially since I only shave twice a week usually... No more bumps, rashes, itching, pulling or buying creams.

Last edited:
I'm still doing the DE shaving thing, but I need to stop being too fancy with across-the-grain shaving on my throat. I nick myself a little too often. From now on I intend to shave very simply, up and down, a little against the grain where it's safe, but no attempts to plane my face down to the skin.

^Good plan. Even if you don't nick yourself you can cause razor burn if you make too many passes with the DE razor. It takes a bit more practice and skill than using a modern razor, but it's worth it, IMO.

My brother gave me a Merker 33C to try out; it took a little getting used to and it takes a very soft touch, but I have to say, it produces a better shave than a modern razor. I've been doing a 2 pass shave; one with, one against the grain, lathering both times. Less irritation, less in grown hairs.

I'm a Gillette Fusion Pro-glide guy. Been using them for a while. I shave once a week on Sunday morning and a single blame seems to last me a REALLY LONG TIME. I bought a pack of x in 2011 and I've only used like 2.
grin2.gif

I've been using my grandfathers old 1949 Gillette Super Speed every morning since I was 20. It takes a while to learn and find the right blades. I use Feather blades and Barbasol shaving cream. I can go with or against it across the grain and no bleeding. $27 for a 100 pack of blades, I can deal with $27 for a year plus of shaving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back