Double Edge Safety Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 20 years or so I've been shaving with an electric razor, and I use a Gillette Sensor to trim around my beard. The price of the sensor blades has skyrocketed, and the price of the Braun cleaning solution isn't exactly cheap either. A couple weeks ago I decided that I was going to dig out my old Gillette double edge razor and start using it again. Double edge blades are quite inexpensive.

I dug around in my catch all drawer yesterday and found the old razor in the back. The date code on it is B3, which puts the manufacture date in the third quarter of 1956. My dad bought it for me sometime around 1957 or 1958 when I first started shaving.

It was faded and had plenty of tarnish and a little corrosion on it. The first thing I decided to do was run it through the ultrasonic cleaner that my wife has for her jewelry. She had some jewelry that needed cleaning, so they all went into the cleaner together.

It came out of the ultrasonic cleaner better-the dried soap scum and tarnish was gone, but it still had plenty of water spots.

Clean, but still plenty of water spots.

Next I decided to toss it in the tumbler for a few hours.

Not too bad for a razor that's nearly 60 years old.

Just for fun (since I had some extra time today) I looked on the Internet to look up the date code on the razor. After about 20 minutes I realized there is quite a following and market for the old Gillette double edge razors. I had no clue that there was a cult like following of these old razors. I've tossed away several of them when I've bought a box of "stuff" at an estate auction. You can bet that I won't be throwing any more out-some of the Gillette adjustable razors from the 1950's go for more than $50.

There's an old single edge GEM razor in my catch all drawer that's from the early 1900's. I think (but I'm not sure) that it was my grandfather's razor. I may clean it up and see if I can get the same results. I'll pick up some double edge blades this week and start using the old razor again.

Looks great!

BTW, I got tired of Gillette's ever-rising prices, too. I am now a satisfied Dorco customer.

I always end up finding big packs of various refills of name brand razors at Kroger or Meijer and i stock up and i never run out. I have a handle for every major brand i think, fusion, schick, mach 3, i have quite a stash!

fx3vva.jpg

25 different refills for men here plus the new fusion handle. I also have an extra 27 female style 4 blade bic refills that i got in 4 packs for only 69 cents each that the wife deemed no good so i can use them for back up if i run out of the good stuff.

The fusion handle the wife had a 4 dollar coupon so i got one of the new power handles and the blade with battery for a little over 2 bucks.

You should ask someone who is knowledgeable about these old razors before you clean them up, you might be ruining them for collectors.

Whenever Gillette's patent expires on an older design, they try to push people to something newer where they still hold exclusivity.
I had a Sensor given to me when I started shaving, but I don't buy blades for it anymore. The price of blades is just silly. Yeah it pivots, big deal.
I now use the older "Trac-II" blades, just because they're cheaply available as knockoffs.

I use this handle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011Z3WXU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these blades:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A6KFI4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That handle advertises to a niche market, but the only thing unusual about it is the blades it comes with. It's completely compatible with standard Trac-II blades.

Both the big razor companies annoy me that way. I still do okay on the price of Sensor blades here, if, and only if, I go to the right place. At the wrong place, they're almost expensive as Mach and newer blades.

Schick annoyed me by discontinuing the Protector and Diamond FX blades, although I did get a whack of the former ones on closeout.

I use an E1 Gillette "Red Tip", similar to yours. I have several others as well, ranging from a Gem single edge from the teens to a "modern" razor by Edwin Jagger. Don't miss paying for Gillette Fusion cartridges and like seeing solid American made products from the past.

I always cut myself with the single edge blades in the old razors. I prefer the mulitple edge blades for the safe/close shave. I do like/use the 3, 4, 5 blade shavers when I get'em in the mail.
laugh.gif

I don't even own my old screw open single edge razor anymore. Probably have used one in over 35 years(since disposals arrived). I don't even know if I threw it away or if it's stuck waaaaay back in a drewer somewhere? LOL!

Now, at this point with myself taking blood thinners, I need to be as careful as possible. I use my electric Norelco Rotary(3 head) often but, it misses under the neck so, I have to get out the Fusion!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
You should ask someone who is knowledgeable about these old razors before you clean them up, you might be ruining them for collectors.

For starters, I cleaned it up for myself, not for collectors. I couldn't care less about the value.

Second, when I was searching for the date code, the "cleaned, polished, sterilized and shave ready" vintage razors sold for a significant premium over the tarnished, dirty, untouched "as found" razors. Some of the adjustable "fat boy" razors are attracting Ebay bids for more than $100.

DORCO all the way! I was skeptical but tried a few and they seem just as good if not better than any other, just far less expensive. And my beard is very tough! They frequently have special offers and online coupons if you look for them as I do.

As a card-carrying member of the "Shaves Every Day" club, I switched to a Merkur long-handle DE razor about 7 months ago when I got tired of paying outrageous prices for shave essentials. It was a bit of an investment up front. Since then I've had better shaves, and still haven't run through my first 100-pack of Feather DE blades. Heck, the soap hasn't even needed replacing yet.

I too use a safety razor. I have two: a Parker 99R Butterfly and a Merkur DE Heavy.

Anyone who doesn't get a better shave with a DE versus a cartridge razor isn't using the right shaving creme and/or technique. You have to let the weight of the razor do the cutting and not push it. Also, on the first pass you should shave with the grain.

Any man, regardless of razor, should invest in a boars hair shaving brush and a high glycerin creme. My favorite is Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort shaving creme. Makes a world of difference.

And I don't care where you buy cartridge razors, you can never beat the economy of DE blades.

I've been using a Merkur 34C (aka "Heavy Duty") for nearly twenty years. I buy my blades in quantities of 100. Since I get a week's worth of shaves from each that's almost two years' worth of blades. My current favorite is the Personna Medical Prep blade. It has been the most expensive at $30 per 100. How cheap is that compared to the most modern blades. I rarely nick myself and get very satisfactory shaves.

And, Pop, many guys on the Badger & Blade web site buy "birth razors" (a razor made in the year of one's birth) and send them off to companies that clean, strip, and re-chrome old DE's. From what I have seen on eBay, cleaning the thing up only seems to increase its resale value.

Dorco user here as well.
I get mine through Dollar Shave Club, for $3/mo, I get 5 twin blade Cartridges. handle was free.
Then the other day, i was looking around Dollar General, and i find the same handle/blades I get from DSC, also $3. so now i have a backup handle to throw in my travel kit.
the Dollar General one it Store branded, but it's the same Dorco stuff i get from DSC

Went back to DE shaving about 5 years ago. I have a collection of 80+ razors to choose from but my favorite DE razor is the Lord L6, along with blades Shark, SuperMax Platinum, Rapira, & Voskhod.

Shave soap, either Cella, or Van der Hagen, Horse hair brush.

E-Bay & Amazon has everything needed.

One of my best suppliers is Best Shave from Turkey.
http://www.bestshave.net/

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Went back to DE shaving about 5 years ago. I have a collection of 80+ razors to choose from but my favorite DE razor is the Lord L6, along with blades Shark, SuperMax Platinum, Rapira, & Voskhod.

Shave soap, either Cella, or Van der Hagen, Horse hair brush.

E-Bay & Amazon has everything needed.

One of my best suppliers is Best Shave from Turkey.
http://www.bestshave.net/

I read too fast. For a second I thought you mentioned a brand of blade called "Vampira"!

I've been doing the DE shaving thing about 4 times a week now for a couple of years, with a Merkur razor and Personna blades. I tried the Feathers, but they were just too sharp and no matter how careful I was, I nicked myself almost every time.

On the intervening days I use a Norelco rotary. Once I thought it gave a good close shave, but now that I've experienced what a good blade can do, I use it only when I'm in a hurry to leave for work.

i happen to have a very old double edge razor blade stroper. its has two rollers of leather that spin and sharpen the blade. but it is at a friends shop to get sold. have seen one on the internet for $100. mine isnt as good but is very good. cant remember the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back