Double Edge Safety Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPP

Been thinking about ditching the cheap disposable razors and going
with a nice Double Edge Safety Razor. Never used one...... and the Google n YouTube research is
confusing me. It seems a good razor is $50 on up. Several good blade options.
It'd be great if anyone could offer advice.
Thanks in advance!

JP

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the Schick Hydro vibrating razor is a sweet little number. I prefer the 3 blade over the 5 blade. Very smooth comfortable shave.

Go check out Ebay. I have one that was less than $10 and have seen them for under $5. Most come with some blades but blades can be had very cheaply as well. Blades can make a big difference in both quality of shave and longevity. They all outlast the Mach 3 for me. This is a good way to see if you like before buying an expensive one. I have handled both and do not see much difference but maybe after some years the better brands last longer. Mine is less than 6 months.

I use a 1954 Gillette Super Speed razor. Right now I'm experimenting with different blades to find which one works the best for me. I can say for certain the Lord Classic Stainless is NOT GOOD with this razor. I use an Omega Pro 49 Brush and RazoRock Zi Peppino shave soap and those work very well for me. When I do get stuck with a bad blade like the Lord I use an alum block to help with the razor burn. The variety pack of blades I'm working off of is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z85VJK/

Prices on new ones are ridiculously high. Buy one if you must, BUT:
You can't beat a good old Gillette, either a 3-piece or a twist-to-open. I say hit the thrift stores, junk shops, garage & yard sales, church bazaars and anywhere else you can think of that has miscellaneous second hand stuff. Ask your friends, relatives & neighbors if they have an old DE razor tucked away & forgotten anywhere. Offer to pay when you ask- but if they should find one there's a good chance they'll just give it to you. And while you're at it, don't forget to look for/ask about any old shaving brushes, mugs, and even blades. Unused stainless, coated blades from as long ago as the mid 1960's(when they first appeared) will still be good, and virtually all of the major brand stainless DE blades from long ago are equal to the very best you can find today- *Better* than most of what's out there now.
If you do find an old razor & it seems straight but looks really grungy- it's almost certainly just soap scum. Soak in hot tap water for a bit, then spray with Scrubbing Bubbles & wait till the SB melts. Scrub with old toothbrush. Repeat, more than once of needed. Once cleaned, if it looks kinda plain-Jane, with much/most of the plating gone- just use it & don't worry. My favorite shaver is a 1930s vintage 3-pc short-toothed Gillette New. Virtually all the original gold plating is long gone, it doesn't look beautiful- but it sure shaves great!

Last edited:
If you want to try start cheap. Get a $20 parker or maybe one of the $20 feather safety razers. Buy a cheap badger brush and get a thing of soap. Find a thing or razers. I personally like persona blue lab, feathers (wouldn't recommend this as a starter place), and Astra Platinum.

Soaps can be picky. Everyone has there own prefrence. I typically like my soaps on the wetter side. When I started I liked a really dry lather. As time went on I tried new things and a wet lather works best.

I would recommend a Safety Razer. Some might think of it as a novelty but the quality of my shaves have went up dramatically.

After 30 years of shaving I never thought I would say it but I enjoy shaving now.

Went from shaving every 3 days and hating to shaving every day and enjoying it.

A few months the back I went out and bought a Gillette Pro-glide.

Grabbed my sons old shaving cream and put half of it on my face lathered up the other half of my face and shaved.

Half safety Razer and half with a Gillette pro-glide

The quality in shave difference was dramatic. Even 5 hours later the side that I used the Gillette on felt irritated and raw.

I'm a firm believer in Safety Razers.

All majer cartridge Razer manufacturers sell single baldes that can be used with a safety Razer. So there is no need for anyone to at least not try it.

Its not hard either. First shaved wasn't bad, after my 4-5th I was perfectly confident. I feel I could shave my face blind folded. Iv only really cut myself once so dong think your going to scar your face up. With common sense its very easy.

Last edited:
Maggard Razors has been very good to purchase from. I've placed a couple of orders with them and they've always been very prompt to ship, I've received status messages all along the way, and, the items I've purchased have been reasonably priced. Their site has a number of current safety razors for sale, including their own brand. It may be worth checking out their site as you do your research.

OM Goodness! Safety razors are awesome! I used to spend around $20 a month on a 4 pack of Mach 5 razors that would last me maybe a few weeks. I'd make them last that long. After a few shaves on one blade it would tug. I read up on safety razors about a year and a half ago. I wasn't sure I'd like it so I bought a cheap $5 safety razor on Amazon and an assortment pack of safety razors. I tried them all, including Derby and Feather blades. The Feathers gave me the best shave. I liked it so much I ended up buying the Merkur adjustable razor. I got a 100 pack of Feathers for $30. Those blades will probably last me over a year, and they won't tug and give me razor burn like the Mach 5s did. Also, using shave soap is so much better than shaving cream. My face doesn't dry out anymore. DO IT!!!

This is all you need to start out:

A Merkur 33C (dirt cheap on Amazon), a 34C if you want a heavier handle, or something more standard by Merkur with a longer handle.

Astra blades, sold by the 100 are very good blades.

Here are some links to the bare minimum to start. You can stick with shaving cream in a can for starters just to not get overwhelmed.

Also, after rinsing off the razor, shake it off to dry it. If you only shave once a week, keep the head submerged in baby oil. If you leave a blade in for a whole month, shaving once a week, it may rust the blade.

May I recommend for a cheap start:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Long-Handle...keywords=Merkur

http://www.amazon.com/Astra-Platinum-Dou...rds=Astra+razor

And just use your canned shaving cream until you really like it, then get a badger, boar, or synthetic brush, and all the other stuff that makes it a luxury to do.

The last note is so based on individual tastes I couldn't recommend anything. I'm happy with just the safety razor experience in general anything else is a bonus.

Also, picking a blade based on your specific hair type actually really matters. But Astra is a good starting point.

Feather blades I would only recommend when you get good at shaving with a safety razor as Feather blades are extremely sharp Japanese Hattori Hanzo's. Some people get a lot of weepers from them if they aren't experienced yet.

My favorite blades are Astra, but I am not a great shaver yet after years of using an electric.

I got tired of having a sandpaper face the same day using an electric.

It was only after a while did I realize shaving with a safety razor is so cheap it is almost free.

A ten cent blade lasts 3-4 shaves.

Last edited:
Another great piece of advice:

You may not like Derby blades.

Not saying they are bad, but Astras perform great for most people.

They have a durable edge, and aren't scary sharp.

Feathers aren't scary sharp, they just need the talent that comes with practice.

I had a few Feathers from a friend at work and I gave myself some minor cuts.

I am still too rough on my face.

You need to perfect the kitten licks with it. A safety razor just glides the hair right off, just let the weight of the razor do the work.

When I finish off my 100 box of Astras I will try a few more Feathers to see if I appreciate the increased quality more at that point.

Great info... thanks and keep it coming.
I don't have a heavy beard growth..... Only need to shave every other day.
Just seems like I would appreciate a DE Safety Razor after all the info I've
been reading the last month or so.
Is the actual razor or the blade more important?
Or is it both. At my age I understand you get what you pay for.
I am okay with paying $50-75 for a nice razor. (It will last the rest of my life) Quality blades seem like a good investment as well.
Do you have to always shave one way then lather and shave another one or two times?

JP

The razors and blades are both equally important.

I can only recommend Merkur to start as that is all I have ever used.

Go to the Badger and Blade website for a BITOG experience in shaving.

There are some great vids on Youtube, and find no fault in any of the info and recommendations that I have seen in any vid.

The Merkur 34C is the most recommended newby razor.

It is also a simple 2 piece design that has a very easy blade changeover.

My 33C is the bare bones Merkur, it is 3 piece. Easy to use still.

But I only shave once a week, letting a beard form and shave Sunday night.

That means the blade is in the razor for over a month. So rinse it well and put it in a glass of baby oil with enough oil to submerge just the head.

I do this as I don't want the rust from the blade to wreck the plating on the razor. Maybe this is going overboard I don't know.

I don't have enough experience to know what I can get away with yet I guess.

You won't gain anything by paying lots of extra money for a razor. The Merkur that Falken recommended(or one of the other Merkur models) will last just as long & shave as well as anything else.

Blades: Astras are good, some others I use(or have used) & like, all comments are from my own experience:
*Derby: sometimes a little harsh on the first shave, next 2-3 shaves very good & smooth.
*Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow: probably my modern favorite, sharp & smooth.
*Astras: good blades, I like 'em a little less than Falken, but that's what makes for horse races. Besides, we put 'em in different razors & shave different faces with 'em.
wink.gif

*Feathers: Very sharp, recommend you wait till you have some experience to try them.
*Personna Reds: Good blades when I bought mine several years ago. I still like 'em a lot. Might be a good match for your beard/face from your description.
*Wilkinson Sword(white plastic 5-pack): bought these at the local supermarket when they had 'em, built up a fair stock. Good if not great, may get a bad blade out of every 20 or so.
*Dorco 301: not a bad blade, but in the end not quite as sharp as they should be, creating too much drag or pull. Probably better for a barber to use trimming around ears & nape of neck. Wish I hadn't bought a 100 pack of 'em way back when- they were the first thing I found online back when I discovered that decent DE blades had virtually disappeared from local stores, and before I discovered internet shaving forums. Having said that- they might be good blades for a beginner's first few shaves, as you learn the ropes & get the idea. Just don't buy 100 of 'em!
grin2.gif

In the end, *You* are the only one that can decide what works for you. Razor makes a big difference(is razor mild? Aggressive?)as does your face, beard, & technique. And a blade that others like, & you hate- well, in a year or three you might come back & re-try it & find you like it a lot. As your skill develops, some of your likes/dislikes will change.

Shaving several times- only if you insist on the absolute baby-butt super smooth best of a shave. For everyday, once you develop some skill, just once, *with* the grain, should do it. BTW- be sure to distinguish among; with, across, & against the grain.

Forums: Badger & Blade, The Shave Den, The Shave Nook, Shave my Face are all good ones. And at one of them, a former BITOGer is a mod/admin.

Sure, get the Merkur, it should make a fine razor for you- but keep an eye out for an old Gillette, or maybe a Schick Krona.
thumbsup2.gif

Merkur- come to think of it, I have one somewhere I've never used, not even sure what model. Hmm.....

Last edited:
I have my grandfather's old safety razor. There's no markings as to who made it, but it held up very well for its age. I use Wilkinson Sword blades and am pretty good about not hacking myself up.

Is there a good place that I could get a pack of razor blade assortments to try?
Seems like a bundle of a few blades from many different brands would be a great place to start.

Thanks again...

JP

Last edited:
Amazon has some assortment packs if you want to see which blade you like the most. Also, check out "geofatboy" on Youtube. Plenty of videos on how to shave with a safety razor. When I need a close shave, I will do 2-3 passes. Sometimes I will just do one pass. The videos will explain all that stuff. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JPP
Is there a good place that I could get a pack of razor blade assortments to try?
Seems like a bundle of a few blades from many different brands would be a great place to start.

Thanks again...

JP

Yes, I would recommend you start here.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=double+edge+blade+sampler&sprefix=double+edge+blade%2Caps%2C552

You pay a little more but its cheaper then buying 2 things of 100 blades and finding out you don't like either.

Just like everything in the world blades vary. What's a excellent blade in one race might not be that good in the next.

Take your time and enjoy the experience. If you rush threw it or look at it as a chore you will never enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: JPP

Thanks again...

JP

I've went back to wet/dbl edge shaving 4 years ago.

Best thing I can tell you is to check out E-Bay. Lots & lots of good buy there, you can get blade assortments there at very good prices.

One of the best blades out there are the ones made in Russia, there is a fellow selling them, he ships from Moscow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-VOSKHOD-RAPI...=item1c4a0bb11f

Okay. Leaning to the Merkur 34C. Now have to figure out blades.
Not sure I'm going all in at this point with badger hair brush n fancy shaving soaps.
Unless........ it is worth it over the regular canned shaving cream I've used all these years.
Hmmmmmmm.
Advice there?

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back