Double Edge Safety Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use what shaving cream you have. That can get you started. I prefer mug and soap, though.

I used Williams shaving soap for years in my mug and it is still available on Amazon (around $4 w/ free shipping). It will last a long time and give you time to decide if you want to go for a more expensive brand/type.

Start looking at ebay for shaving mugs and brush combos. You may find something reasonable there, for an inexpensive price. Make sure you can see the actual brush to better determine its value and future use.

As always, a little buyer beware may go a long ways.

I have two old cans of Gillette shaving cream I am trying to finish off as I assemble the rest of my shaving kit.

I fancy myself a bit of a pirate character wise so I have to agree with JayhawkRoy and I will probably pick up a puck or two of Williams Mug shaving soap.

It is mainly because it is so cheap and easy for me to find. It is under $2.

I just cant find it in myself to pay $20 for some sandalwood soap but again I am really new to this as an experience.

I also may just stick to cans of cheap house brand shaving cream with Menthol in it.

I like the old Codger approach at my age I guess.

My favorite shaving setup is a Weber razor with Polsilver blade, Barbasol red can shaving cream, and Clubman aftershave.

Okay,
Just ordered the Merkur 34C.
Added Astra Blades.

Looking forward to trying the new lifestyle.

JP

As for the brush and shaving soap, yes it can get really expensive, but it doesn't need to. Look at Omega brushes. You should be able to get one for around $10. There are also several inexpensive soaps. You can get a stick of Arko for a couple bucks. Performance wise it is right up there with the more expensive designer soaps. Have fun.

Originally Posted By: JPP
Okay,
Just ordered the Merkur 34C.
Added Astra Blades.

Looking forward to trying the new lifestyle.

JP

JP, you'll like it, I think. For eyars I've used a Norelco electric rotary, but a couyple of years ago I realized it wasn't shaving me cleanly, and the replacement heads are expensive. So I bought a Merkur 23C, the one with the longish handle like a cartridge razor, and use the Personna Red blades.

For shaving cream/gel/soap, I can use good old-fashioned Barbasol. But I do better with the Aveeno shave cream; $4 at Bed Bath & Beyond, where you can also pick up Wilkinson DE blades. And Gillette's shave gel works well, too.

If you get into it, have a look at Lee's Safety Razors: http://www.leesrazors.com/ He'll give you good advice. I was going to purchase Feather blades at first, and he warned me they might well be too sharp for me as I learned. (He was right; they're too sharp for me still.)

Okay. Leaning to the Merkur 34C. Now have to figure out blades.
Not sure I'm going all in at this point with badger hair brush n fancy shaving soaps.
Unless........ it is worth it over the regular canned shaving cream I've used all these years.
Hmmmmmmm.
Advice there?

JP
There is a difference here as well. The canned stuff will work just fine, but I've noticed that a cream from a tube or lather from shaving soap is different; seems like it's slicker than the canned stuff. And you don't have to pay a lot for soaps, as has been mentioned Arko sticks aren't that expensive, and I'm currently using a tub of Derby soap that I got from Maggard's for $2. The Arko/Derby soaps have, for lack of a better description, an "industrial" scent -- it's not bad, but if you're looking for something that mimics the scent of pandas emitting digesstive gasses that smells like rainbows, you won't like the scent.
grin.gif

A lot of people recommend Proraso soap, which you can order online. You can also get tubes of the stuff from Bath & Body Works under the C.O. Bigelow name.

Welcome to yet another obsession -- and you thought oil and filters was bad...
crackmeup2.gif

I usually buy the three dollar shave soap at wal mart. Works good enough for me. It lasts a long time. The benefit I see using the soap over shaving cream is my face doesn't dry out like it used to. I love it.

Ok I am looking into Omega brushes as suggested.

To the OP:

I have found the absolute best, and easiest to watch guy who seems very savvy with new wet safety razor shavers is ShaveBusta on YouTube.

He just does it all, and he is very clear in his explanation.

Most other guys just seem to be, "this is good, that's good..."

ShaveBusta actually tells you ALL they WHYs.

Very pleasant guy, and he seems to square away most of my questions anyway, hope he helps you too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: opus1
Maggard Razors has been very good to purchase from. I've placed a couple of orders with them and they've always been very prompt to ship, I've received status messages all along the way, and, the items I've purchased have been reasonably priced. Their site has a number of current safety razors for sale, including their own brand. It may be worth checking out their site as you do your research.

+1 here. Maggard's has a few safety razors under $20 and several under $30, as a good starting point. Opus1, thanks for the tip about Maggard's. I placed a $52 order today. What a terrific selection they have!

So...... how many shaves should one get out of each razor blade before you toss it?
I know it varies from person to person, just an average I could start with.

Thanks

JP

So...... how many shaves should one get out of each razor blade before you toss it?
I know it varies from person to person, just an average I could start with.

Thanks

JP

How long the blade lasts depends on the blade and beard itself, so varies from person to person. I get about 6 good shaves from most blades.

I like vintage twist-to-open Gillette Fatboy and Slimboy models. These are adjustable razors that allow the blade angle to be adjsted from very mild to pretty agressive by turning a dial on the handle. I don't want to wear out those 50 year old beauties, so I use two razors with different settings for each shave.

I like feather blades and Proraso shaving cream. In my experience the shaving cream makes a bigger difference in the quality of the shave than does the brand of the blade. A good badger brush is certainly worth good money.

Did you know that brushing and shaving exfoliates the skin, thus removing abnormal skin cells and reducing the chance of skin cancer? At least that's what a dermatologist has told me.

hotwheels

Agreed, 5-6 good shaves out of my Sharks, Coupled with an unshaven Friday/Sunday makes two week replacement about my norm.

Have an enamel mug that I grate a bar of (I think in the US it would be ivory) soap into, then add coconut and olive oil to and tea tree...that's my lather mug.

Normally, I wash well in the shower, then shave as soon as I get out "dry" so to speak.

Brushes: Put me down for Omega, in Boar bristle please! I have several, thought the main one would wear out in a year or two- no way, it's still as good as ever. Save the badger for later, get a *good* boar to start with. The individual boar bristles *quickly* develop a case of split ends(no foolin', in just a few uses) & give you something very soft against your face, but with enough spine to work the lather in.

Someone above uses, likes & recommends the Omega Pro 49. That's a good one- but it's a BIG brush & I suspect you'll be better served with something I think of as "regular sized". that is, approx 4" overall. Something in these models is (IMO) ideal. My most used brush is an Omega 80065. Others from the same "group" that are identically sized are the 10065 & 10066, 80266, 00065. Choose & shop carefully & you can 'em for about $10 or less.

Soap: current Williams is OK, but it takes some extra work to get good lather with it. You'll learn about tallow based vs glycerine-based soaps. The Big "In-General" about soaps: In general, glycerine is slicker, tallow provides better cushion. You can find Williams(tallow) or Van Der Hagen(glycerine) in many brick & mortar stores.

Don't spend too much at first, this is something where $ will not make up for lack of technique. Remember: You are developing a new skill- it will take practice. Some basic ideas:
*Find the angle.
*Let the weight of the razor provide the pressure
*Don't pull the razor sideways!
*Prep is more than half the battle.(This is usually the last one new wet shavers come to believe & put into practice- but WOW is it true!)

Oh, and train your significant other that shaving only takes a couple of seconds, while the fever that the child has will be there for hours.

Thus avoiding the dire necessity to race into the bathroom, and charge you out of the way to get the thermometer from the cupboard mid down stroke.

Mopping up the claret, and carefully placing pieces of toilet paper to stem the bleeding, and she comes to put the thermometer away again..."Oh, did you cut yourself ???"

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Oh, and train your significant other that shaving only takes a couple of seconds, while the fever that the child has will be there for hours.

Thus avoiding the dire necessity to race into the bathroom, and charge you out of the way to get the thermometer from the cupboard mid down stroke.

Mopping up the claret, and carefully placing pieces of toilet paper to stem the bleeding, and she comes to put the thermometer away again..."Oh, did you cut yourself ???"

***** I sense a story here.......... LOL

JP

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Luckily you weren't using a straight razor.

A friend gave me a vintage Bengall cuthroat last year. It didn't come with pressure bandages, but one of these days I'll get up my courage and get slicing.

hotwheels

Wet shaving can be done within a reasonable budget. Some get hooked and spend a considerable amount as a hobby.

Vintage Gillette Tech razor $10
Omega boar brush $10
Personna Double edge blades (100) $15 (years supply)
Real Shave Company cream (4 tubes)$20 (years supply)

I get a great shave from this inexpensive combo.

Checks earlier and the Russian blades are now down to $5.00 a hundred plus shipping.

Takes 2/3 weeks to arrive here in the U.S..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back