Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 15 year old electric shaver that originally cost about $60.

Amortized out over 15 years, along with (if I remember correctly) 3 sets of replacement blades over that time, and it has cost me about $6 per year to shave, not including the electricity to charge it.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
1) Put Lubriderm lotion on face after a shower.
2) Put 2-3 splashes of hot water on my face.
3) Spread Edge Gel on face.
4) Shave using Gillette Trac II razor.
5) Splash face with warm water.
6) Put Lubriderm lotion on face.

Doing this for 25-30 years and told my face looks young & great.
smile.gif

I've been doing the same for 65 years but my face looks old and wrinkly...don't know why!

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
....I shave in the shower; place the shaving cream can on the floor of the tub to warm up, wash and shampoo, then shave last thing before getting out. Saves time and I never cut myself anymore with all the hot water.

+1 for shaving in the shower. I haven't cut myself since I started shaving in the shower. I found a sale on Remington Alpha Gel Sensitive Skin (6 pack of 5oz tubes) for $7.20 and nabbed two of them. Really like it and what a deal!!! (FYI, BradsDeals or DealSelectNews alerted me to the Remington sale, can't remember which...)

Last edited:
I use a disposable for the past 10 years. They are Schick ST2 Slim Twin. For sensitive skin. They come in a 12pk for around $6 on sale. I like Edge Shaving Gel and Afta Cream after-shave.

I use regular Barbasol shave cream and a cheap store brand disposable double blade plastic razor. Now and again I will use Shick ST or the equivalent, but usually the cheap blue handle razors work just as well for less money. I have tried Edge and a few other gels/creams but I still like Barbasol the best. The guys at the barber shop where I get my hair cut still use hot Barbasol and an old fashioned straight razor to shave around my ears and neck, which is a real treat for me and a very good finishing touch for my haircut. I have been using the same barber shop for a long time and they always do a great job.

Originally Posted By: whip
What do you guys use to shave, and what is the average cost?

Oddly enough, blade prices are similar up here. I prefer to use the old fashioned Sensor for my face (sometimes a Schick Protector or Quattro), but the Mach 3 or Mach 3 Turbo for my head.

I use cheap Barbasol shaving cream and disposable razors. I get away with shaving every other day (otherwise I get shaving rash on my neck) and one disposable lasts me about 2 weeks. I have tried an electric razor and they have always given me an uneven shave and fail to get the sideways hairs on my neck.

I much prefer a shave from a razor.

I use a Norelco electric rotary when I'm in a hurry. But when I want a good shave, I use a Merkur safety razor that I recently bought, combined with Personna double-edged blades, and some shave cream in a tube. Since I have less face to shave than someone without my Commander Riker-style beard, it doesn't take long and I have only nicked myself with the blade twice in the last three months.

(Hey, I'm the guy who once managed to cut himself shaving with an electric razor. The safety razor is, well, safer.)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
...But when I want a good shave, I use a Merkur safety razor that I recently bought, combined with Personna double-edged blades...
(Hey, I'm the guy who once managed to cut himself shaving with an electric razor. The safety razor is, well, safer.)

I actually cut my finger pretty badly once just picking up my Merkur incorrectly. Is yours the 34C (AKA Heavy Duty)? I paid only $20 for it back in the mid 90's at a knife store. I see they run about $40 these days.The chrome plating was flaking a bit on the edges of the top plate and Merkur sent me a new piece for free from Germany.

Which Personna blades are you using? I tried the ones they used to sell at Wal Mart and was not thrilled. I have used the Israeli Personnas in the past. Also, i have used Bic (Greek), 7am (don't recall where they were made), Derby Extra (Turkish). I read about the Personna medical prep blades on Badger & Blade. They have been the best for me, so far. With DE razors it can take time and experimentation to find a razor/blade combo that works best FOR YOU. I hear good things about the Russian-made blades. Several shaving sites sell sampler packs that can help you find your "perfect" blade. The really nice thing about DE shaving is that once you have plunked down the money for the razor the blades are very inexpensive compared to modern cartridges. Still, it's definitely a "sport" for those that have a fondness for old school ways of doing things. There is an element of danger (LOL) involved and the quality of your shave is more dependent upon preparation and technique than with the latest stuff.

BTW, before I switched to DE my go-to razor was a Sensor Excel and my go-to disposable was the Schick Slim Twin. I think it's a testament to how good those razors are that you can still buy them both after 20+ years on the market. Sam's and Costco still carry Sensor Excel multi-packs.

While I think a quality razor is important, I think a good shave is all about technique. I'm not convinced the multi-blade, $2+ cartridges are any better than a safety razor. If anything, more blades tend to lead to ingrown hairs, especially when the first blade tugs, and the second one cuts, which lead to hairs being cut below skin-level.

I use an old safety razor when possible or a 50-cent disposable from Sam's Club. It's all about prep work and good shaving soap.

I used to hate shaving, mostly because my Dad never really taught me, and I "learned" how to shave during basic training. I had to relearn everything, and now I now find it incredibly relaxing process.

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112

I heard about Dollar Shave Club and tried their Executive 6-blade model.

They use Dorco razors. I just went to the source and bought a bunch - tried the 3,4, & 6 blade models to compare (they are CHEAP to buy). Not really impressed. I guess you get 70-80% of the performance for 50% of the price, though.
I prefer a schick hydro, but haven't bought any catridges after the first puchase which was free w/ coupon. All the high end stuff is annoyingly priced. I think I have at least a year supply of the Dorco razors + cartridges, though, for ~$25.

The video on the Dollar Shave Club site is very entertaining. It's worth watching even if you don't need to buy razors.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
...But when I want a good shave, I use a Merkur safety razor that I recently bought, combined with Personna double-edged blades...

I actually cut my finger pretty badly once just picking up my Merkur incorrectly. Is yours the 34C (AKA Heavy Duty)? I paid only $20 for it back in the mid 90's at a knife store. I see they run about $40 these days.The chrome plating was flaking a bit on the edges of the top plate and Merkur sent me a new piece for free from Germany.

Which Personna blades are you using? I tried the ones they used to sell at Wal Mart and was not thrilled. I have used the Israeli Personnas in the past. Also, i have used Bic (Greek), 7am (don't recall where they were made), Derby Extra (Turkish). I read about the Personna medical prep blades on Badger & Blade. They have been the best for me, so far. With DE razors it can take time and experimentation to find a razor/blade combo that works best FOR YOU. I hear good things about the Russian-made blades. . . . The really nice thing about DE shaving is that once you have plunked down the money for the razor the blades are very inexpensive compared to modern cartridges. Still, it's definitely a "sport" for those that have a fondness for old school ways of doing things. There is an element of danger (LOL) involved and the quality of your shave is more dependent upon preparation and technique than with the latest stuff. . . .

My Merkur is the 23, the long-handled model. Lee at Lee's Razors (http://www.leesrazors.com/) recommended it for its longer handle, as, he said, it's easier to adjust from a cartridge razor. My blades are the Red Personnas: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Red-Personna-Razor-Blades-%2810-Blades%29.html

Originally Posted By: kb01
While I think a quality razor is important, I think a good shave is all about technique. I'm not convinced the multi-blade, $2+ cartridges are any better than a safety razor. If anything, more blades tend to lead to ingrown hairs, especially when the first blade tugs, and the second one cuts, which lead to hairs being cut below skin-level.

I use an old safety razor when possible or a 50-cent disposable from Sam's Club. It's all about prep work and good shaving soap.

I used to hate shaving, mostly because my Dad never really taught me, and I "learned" how to shave during basic training. I had to relearn everything, and now I now find it incredibly relaxing process.

This. More blades will get closer, but can also be more irritating. I actually use a 3 blade razor in the shower. My dermatologist says she recommends it to all her male patients. Works great so far, and I use to get bad razor burn.

Those of you who shave in the shower, do you have a fog-proof mirror in there?

I can't imagine shaving without looking in the mirror. I need to see what I'm doing.
smile.gif

I used to use a Schick and that thing sucked. I went to a Gilette Mach 3 and then went up to a Gilette Fusion Pro Glide. I like the Pro Glide better but the Mach 3 is/was pretty stellar too.

Never get razor burns or cuts. My wife won't stop using my Mach 3 for her legs, and it drives me insane because I can never find the dang thing. We've had sit-down discussions about this...it's becoming a serious issue.
spankme2.gif

Benzadmiral, the Personna "Reds," I believe, are the ones made in Israel. They are one of the blades that scores good praise on Badger & Blade. That site has a lot of good info. I use the 34C because it's what I bought at the mall knife shop a long time ago. It has the short handle, but I am more than used to it now. Since the razor is relatively heavy I don't have to exert any pressure to shave. The weight of the razor pretty much does the work. Your razor looks like the longer handled version of mine.

I use a Gilette sensor xl that the company mailed me for my 18th birthday in 1997. I shave in the shower with soap and water.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Those of you who shave in the shower, do you have a fog-proof mirror in there?

I can't imagine shaving without looking in the mirror. I need to see what I'm doing.
smile.gif

Nope, do it by feel. In short time, it becomes 2nd nature...

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I used to use a Schick and that thing sucked. I went to a Gilette Mach 3 and then went up to a Gilette Fusion Pro Glide. I like the Pro Glide better but the Mach 3 is/was pretty stellar too...

All this discussion got me researching Proglide Power blades online and they can now be found for about $2.50 each on Ebay. I think I'm going back to the ProGlide Power
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back