Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
For over 10 years, I've used the Gillette Sensor Excel blades to shave. It's a simple 2 blade design that has worked very well for me. I always thought the more blades is better gimmick was just that. A gimmick. I just got a free Gillette Fusion Pro Glide in the mail. It's the 5 blades with the trimming blade on the back. I have to say, it gives a closer, smoother shave. I'd like to start using them, but the price is insane. $32.00 for 8 cartridges. The sensor blades are $18.00 for 10 cartridges.

What do you guys use to shave, and what is the average cost?

I use the Fusion blades (not the Proglide version). They're about $21 for 8 cartridges on Amazon.

Getting your skin prepped before the shave can also help get a closer shave, ie. use some kind of pre-shave oil.

Keep clean and dry after use and they will last a long time worth every penny in my book.

+ 1.
Prep matters more than the blade.
I can get amazingly close shaves using Edge Active Care with any blade.
The bunch 'o blades cartridges do seem to yield more shaves than the twin blades, though.

I use the Gillette Hydro5 with the batteries that vibrate. Using a pre-cleanser to remove oil and dirt makes a huge difference. I also use shaving soap and a brush. I like this much better than shaving cream. I also shave once with the grain and then once again against the grain. I have a tender face and tough whiskers. Still hard to get a really close shave.

I switched from Gillette Sensor to Gillette Mach 3 a few years ago when my Sensor handle broke and I had a Mach 3 that I'd received in the mail. Recently I bought 24 generic/compatible cartridges on eBay for $31 and they seem every bit as good as the genuine Gillette ones.

I use a ancient gilette brass looking or steel with brass overlay that uses double edged blades. Was at a garage sale yesterday and got a old school looking old spice shaving mug and two cakes of Burma Shave soap. I use shaving soap also.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I use Amsoil 20w50

What kind of OCI are you using for that? Please post a UOA
smile.gif

1) Put Lubriderm lotion on face after a shower.
2) Put 2-3 splashes of hot water on my face.
3) Spread Edge Gel on face.
4) Shave using Gillette Trac II razor.
5) Splash face with warm water.
6) Put Lubriderm lotion on face.

Doing this for 25-30 years and told my face looks young & great.
smile.gif

I use the Edge w/oatmeal shaving cream and Gillette Mach3 Turbo.A pack of cartridges lasts me a few months so the price doesn't really bother me that much.

I used the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power and loved it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best on the market. But the blades are expensive at $4 each.

I heard about Dollar Shave Club and tried their Executive 6-blade model. It's an excellent blade and the cost is $3/blade. It does not have the trim blade which is a down side, but I just saved my old Fusion blades and use the trim blade from those when necessary. Other than the trim blade, I think the Executive is every bit as good as the Fusion blade.

You can also get one free month of blades for each referral. I'd post the link for my referral, but based on the forum rules it appears that is not allowed. PM me if you are so inclined and I will provide the link. Otherwise, the website is here:

Dollar Shave Club

You can sign up at any level, no committment and you can change plans at any time.

Not all WM stores carry them, but I use the disposable twin blades that they sell that are I think manufactured by Personna out of Virginia. They cost a lot less than the Gillette razors. There is a slight performance difference between them and the Gillette twin blades, but some razor companies are pricing themselves out of the market.

I gave up on shaving 2 years ago. 9 times out of ten I got shaving rash on my neck. Nothing was able to stop it. No product, or method, or technique made any difference. The day after I'd wake up with painful bumps here and there, and sometimes everywhere.

I now just use hair clippers at their lowest setting daily for the eternally scruffy look, but no more ingrown hairs/pimples, or shaving rash.

The Prices of cartridges was irritating to me, and 'disposable' should be viewed as a dirty word instead of the modern solution to everything, IMO.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I gave up on shaving 2 years ago.

I now just use hair clippers at their lowest setting daily for the eternally scruffy look,
Same here. I gave up shaving about 5 years ago, more because I lost the sight in my left eye and it was difficult to get things even.

Now I have the Don Johnson Miami Vice look...except I'm older, fatter, and don't dress as well...

Originally Posted By: whip
For over 10 years, I've used the Gillette Sensor Excel blades to shave. It's a simple 2 blade design that has worked very well for me. I always thought the more blades is better gimmick was just that. A gimmick.

Gillette Sensor Excel, wow that is going back a while. Although good at the time no one wants to go back to their old razor after using the Fusion.
Its like test driving a new car then leaving the dealer in your old jalopy.
laugh.gif

However, I found little if any improvement with the new Fusion Pro Glide cartridges over the regular Fusion, so you can save a few dollars there. And wait for a sale, Kmart has them now and then. Also, the Fusion blades last a long time, I can go over a month on one cartridge.

I shave in the shower; place the shaving cream can on the floor of the tub to warm up, wash and shampoo, then shave last thing before getting out. Saves time and I never cut myself anymore with all the hot water.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I use the Edge w/oatmeal shaving cream and Gillette Mach3 Turbo.A pack of cartridges lasts me a few months so the price doesn't really bother me that much.

I have used a single Mach3 blade for over a half year.

Merkur 34C and whatever double edge blade I bought in a 100 pack. Currently using the most expensive blades I have bought since starting to shave with a DE 15 years ago - Personna medical prep blades - $30 for 100, including postage. I don't push them too far and change the blade once a week. So, for $30 I get two years of shaves. There is something satisfying about DE shaving. Perhaps it's that risk of cutting oneself that you don't get with modern razors. I use store-brand antibacterial face wash as shave cream. It has a decent amount of glycerin in it and works very well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back