Sometimes cheaper is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to learn how people are getting blades for 10 cents and getting 10 shaves out a blade without cutting their face off. I paying $1.50-$2.00 for the "cheapest" cartridge, getting maybe 3 shaves out of it and still ocassionally getting nicks.

I buy & drive used cars. Usually get them for around $5K and get 5 years out of them. Wife's minivan was $5.5 in 2005. Still driving it today, over 7 years later....not bad.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: dave123
you get what yo pay for.........

Like name brand labels and their big marketing budgets?

My examples are of situations in which I got more when paying less. I see no reason to buy $200 jeans when $25 Wranglers or Target brand (Denizens) fit well and last just as long, if not longer.

That being said, a recent promotion and the need to buy a suit that actually fit me after having lost 30+ lbs has resulted in my choice in work attire (business casual to business formal) jump up a few notches on the quality and price spectrum. However, I still look for deals and have only purchased work clothes that have been deeply discounted, like 30-60% off.

Hit a secondhand store. I have a suit jacket I think I paid fifty bucks for.

It's an Armani. Ten years ago, it retailed for about $300!

Nothing wrong with trying the Pawn Shops in your area. Yesterday I got a NIB Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph complete with instructions, warranty, and tags for $75.00, its a $300.00 watch from the on line discounters.

I haven't looked for finery at pawn shops, but those in my area that I have visited for other items have pretty limited selections, which are heavy on professional-grade construction tools, car stereo components, sporting goods, and horse-related items (saddles, bridles, etc.).

I want know who is buying the Gillete Fusion cartridges that cost about $25 for a 5 pack along with the dinky sized can of $4 Fusion shaving cream? And don't get me started on how crummy cheap toilet paper and power towels are lol.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I buy & drive used cars. Usually get them for around $5K and get 5 years out of them. Wife's minivan was $5.5 in 2005. Still driving it today, over 7 years later....not bad.

Same here, although I do a poor job of vehicle selection, am immediately saddled with repair bills, end up getting frustrated at myself and sick of the "problem car" (more like "problem owner"), and sell it after having it for less than one year. That being said, I think my current fleet is made up of a pair of keepers. I plan on holding onto the Burb for another 5+ years before relegating it to the status of simply a "toy" to work on and use for driving out to the desert for camping/shooting. If I can keep the GP for 10 years, maybe it will become my oldest daughter's first car. I'll have to remove the supercharger as she seems a little speed-obsessed even at the age of five.

I have very little and soft facial hair, the cheapest cartridge I can buy can lasted up to 2 years. I don't use shaving cream either, just wash the face with soap then shave.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I want know who is buying the Gillete Fusion cartridges that cost about $25 for a 5 pack along with the dinky sized can of $4 Fusion shaving cream? And don't get me started on how crummy cheap toilet paper and power towels are lol.

That used to be me! As far as toilet paper goes, we stock up at Costco. It's the only toilet paper that I like; right level of softness without having to worry about dingleberries.

There use to be a major brand (not store brand) of shaving cream that was a little cheaper than even Barbasol that was just as good. I can't remember the name and don't see it anymore.

Noxzema? You can still find it on-line...

This is big topic for me,and pet peeve.People think i'm cheap..It's not that I always want to pay the cheapest price ,I just want the best value ,which is not always the cheapest price, per unit(ounce,gallon, pound etc).Some consumers can read right through the fancy packaging and advertising to realize that some store/generic brands are produced on the same exact assembly line as national/name brands.Some feel better about themselves if they pay top price for brand X,"hey ,I'm worth it" or "I've worked hard for it I DESERVE it"...rant over.

Edit: as this topic was up my son just walked in with a new shirt from Hollister he bought in the MALL..mall prices! Sometimes I cant win.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There use to be a major brand (not store brand) of shaving cream that was a little cheaper than even Barbasol that was just as good. I can't remember the name and don't see it anymore.

Noxzema? You can still find it on-line...

No I think Noxzema might be more expensive than Barbasol. I think it was Colgate shaving cream. It was a little cheaper than Barbasol and I liked it better anyway. I haven't seen it around in awhile.

I need to learn how people are getting blades for 10 cents and getting 10 shaves out a blade without cutting their face off. I paying $1.50-$2.00 for the "cheapest" cartridge, getting maybe 3 shaves out of it and still ocassionally getting nicks.

I bought the big package (20, IIRC) of cheap single-edge blades at CVS or Stop & Shop...it was usually about $6. One blade lasted me 2-4 shaves, depending on if I had gone a day without shaving.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: stevejones

Same here, although I do a poor job of vehicle selection, am immediately saddled with repair bills, end up getting frustrated at myself and sick of the "problem car" (more like "problem owner"), and sell it after having it for less than one year. That being said, I think my current fleet is made up of a pair of keepers. I plan on holding onto the Burb for another 5+ years before relegating it to the status of simply a "toy" to work on and use for driving out to the desert for camping/shooting. If I can keep the GP for 10 years, maybe it will become my oldest daughter's first car. I'll have to remove the supercharger as she seems a little speed-obsessed even at the age of five.

I'm not sure the value in buying cheaper used vehicles these days. I think the sweet spot is likely around buying a two year old vehicle before an original owner can screw anything up (and nowadays the dealership takes care of most things until that point). If you can get each year around $1,000 to $1,500 in the end, you've done well. This can, of course, change if you can do work yourself or know someone who works cheap. The cheaper used thing only really works if you know the seller, I find.

My friend you can do better and cheaper in the razor department. For a truly baby-butt smooth shave and you'll own a non-disposable handle with the sharpest blades that I've found yet try this:

Feather DE Safety Razor

Buy a 10 pack of US, German, or Japanese steel blades and you should be golden for 5 years for less than $25 total.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
My friend you can do better and cheaper in the razor department. For a truly baby-butt smooth shave and you'll own a non-disposable handle with the sharpest blades that I've found yet try this:

Feather DE Safety Razor

Buy a 10 pack of US, German, or Japanese steel blades and you should be golden for 5 years for less than $25 total.

Double edge shaving is the way to go. There's learning curve but once you get the hang of it you can get a clean CLOSE shave under 5 minutes. And it's cheaper to boot.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Double edge shaving is the way to go. There's learning curve but once you get the hang of it you can get a clean CLOSE shave under 5 minutes. And it's cheaper to boot.
+1, I rotate between that and a T-Bar electric trimmer. Gets very close and helps with razor bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back