Set Tire pressure to Manual/Sticker Recommended or 2 PSI over?

Tire pressure is an important variable for the MPG one gets off their vehicle..
Most have them at 30PSI which can drive down MPG - usually keep it at 38 in winters and 35 in summers.
Essentially keep all the tires every other month at 38PSI winter or summer w/ expansion

Reactions: rcs
Thanks so much for your help. I do like Tire Rack!
So in your estimation the CrossClimate 2's would also be a good tire? Especially since it is snow rated for me in Michigan.
100% good fit if you want a one-tire solution....it's still an all season but has a bit more snow capability than your average all seasons. Folks will always tell you to get a dedicated set of winter tires but I'm not you/don't know your driving skill or area so I won't. Where I am in central VA, snow tires are not used or necessary.

100% good fit if you want a one-tire solution....it's still an all season but has a bit more snow capability than your average all seasons. Folks will always tell you to get a dedicated set of winter tires but I'm not you/don't know your driving skill or area so I won't. Where I am in central VA, snow tires are not used or necessary.
I don't have the room in my garage for a dedicated set of snow tires. I do mostly city driving, I don't know that I am very skillful, I am cautious and drive slower in the snow.
I am not sure if the one direction tread is a bad thing,???? except that you can only rotate them one way. But I know my tires have only been rotated back to front for the past 2 or 3 years prior to this new set of Defender's.

I don't have the room in my garage for a dedicated set of snow tires. I do mostly city driving, I don't know that I am very skillful, I am cautious and drive slower in the snow.
I am not sure if the one direction tread is a bad thing,???? except that you can only rotate them one way. But I know my tires have only been rotated back to front for the past 2 or 3 years prior to this new set of Defender's.
The CC2s get excellent reviews, buy with confidence. Tirerack's site will hvae reviews and you can filter them by vehicle so find someone with you vehicle and those tires and see what they say. They seem to universally get great ratings.

The CC2s get excellent reviews, buy with confidence. Tirerack's site will hvae reviews and you can filter them by vehicle so find someone with you vehicle and those tires and see what they say. They seem to universally get great ratings.
Thanks so much for your help!

I have CC2's on our Honda and really like them. They are rotated only front to back because of tread design, and are wearing very well. I keep them at the pressure shown on the doorjamb sticker, or a little higher. They are a nice riding and fairly quiet tire. Snow and slush traction is excellent, ice traction is pretty good, but not as good as a dedicated winter tire such as Michelin X-Ice. With the CC2's I like the convenience of not having to swap tires in the spring and fall.
On your pilot I would set tire pressure at 35 psi as shown on the doorjamb sticker.

Last edited:
I have CC2's on our Honda and really like them. They are rotated only front to back because of tread design, and are wearing very well. I keep them at the pressure shown on the doorjamb sticker, or a little higher. They are a nice riding and fairly quiet tire. Snow and slush traction is excellent, ice traction is pretty good, but not as good as a dedicated winter tire such as Michelin X-Ice. With the CC2's I like the convenience of not having to swap tires in the spring and fall.
On your pilot I would set tire pressure at 35 psi as shown on the doorjamb sticker.
I only ever rotate tires that way (same side, front to back/back to front) so don't see the issue.....the cross over rotation typically isn't necessary in my experience anyway.

Thanks so much for the real life experience, especially from someone who lives in Canada! That is awesome news! How long have you had them?
Is your Honda a Pilot SUV or car?

Thanks so much for the real life experience, especially from someone who lives in Canada! That is awesome news! How long have you had them?
Keep in mind your Pilot is really just a big car here....not a truck or full-size body on frame SUV like a Tahoe etc.

The CC2's are on our '07 Accord. We've had them on for a full year and 27k kms (17k miles) now. Sorry for the late reply.
If ice that gives you white knuckles is a frequent part of your winter driving, then X Ice or a similar winter tire would be better. But for occasional icy roads, the CC2's are fine for my wife and I (subjective I know). We are cautious winter drivers as well.

Last edited:
Keep in mind your Pilot is really just a big car here....not a truck or full-size body on frame SUV like a Tahoe etc.
Well that is really great to know TiGeo! I only went by what others have said,..thinking it was as heavy as a pick up truck.

The CC2's are on our '07 Accord. We've had them on for a full year and 27k kms (17k miles) now. Sorry for the late reply.
If ice that gives you white knuckles is a frequent part of your winter driving, then X Ice or a similar winter tire would be better. But for occasional icy roads, the CC2's are fine for my wife and I (subjective I know). We are cautious winter drivers as well.
Thanks for your reply. If the weather is super bad than I just don't go to work,...knowing in advance helps. I drive like an old lady LOL,...although I am not that old,..LOL. Great to know you have had them for a while and still like them.

Well that is really great to know TiGeo! I only went by what others have said,..thinking it was as heavy as a pick up truck.
I have a VW Atlas. For all intents/purposes....the same as your Pilot...just over 4K pounds so quite a bit lighter than a truck. When you search tirerack or go to any tire shop, your vehicles weight is all factored into the tires they will show that fit, it's not just based on size. I run 245/60/18 grand touring all season tires on it at 35psi:
Capture2.JPG

I have a VW Atlas. For all intents/purposes....the same as your Pilot...just over 4K pounds so quite a bit lighter than a truck. When you search tirerack or go to any tire shop, your vehicles weight is all factored into the tires they will show that fit, it's not just based on size. I run 245/60/18 grand touring all season tires on it at 35psi:
View attachment 127569
Thanks,...that is the tire size I have also. And yes you SUV is about the same size as mine. Thanks for the picture!

Thanks,...that is the tire size I have also. And yes you SUV is about the same size as mine. Thanks for the picture!
The "service description" is what is important here and again, these tires will meet Honda's requirements for that to use based on weight etc. Many folks run a heavier duty sidewall tire for more puncture resistance/offroad use but they are stiff and will degrade the ride.

The "service description" is what is important here and again, these tires will meet Honda's requirements for that to use based on weight etc. Many folks run a heavier duty sidewall tire for more puncture resistance/offroad use but they are stiff and will degrade the ride.
Great info TiGeo! I don’t do any off reading so that is good, and perhaps that is what someone else mentioned to me in terms of the Defender having a better , stronger sidewall than the Crossclimate 2? I am thinking perhaps these Defenders will soften a bit. I do remember when I got these @3 yrs ago they were rugged stiff feeling. The guy at Discount Tire said I could try the Crossclimate tire and if I did not like the, I could go back to the Defenders. He was busy so I did not ask more detailed questions as to how their policy works that regard. But that is a lot of time to put the, on balance them do an alignment again etc….he was encouraging and stated the Defenders are one of the number 1 tires that people use.
I will see how these are going through this winter, if not I will change them out for the
Crossclimate 2’s.

Great info TiGeo! I don’t do any off reading so that is good, and perhaps that is what someone else mentioned to me in terms of the Defender having a better , stronger sidewall than the Crossclimate 2? I am thinking perhaps these Defenders will soften a bit. I do remember when I got these @3 yrs ago they were rugged stiff feeling. The guy at Discount Tire said I could try the Crossclimate tire and if I did not like the, I could go back to the Defenders. He was busy so I did not ask more detailed questions as to how their policy works that regard. But that is a lot of time to put the, on balance them do an alignment again etc….he was encouraging and stated the Defenders are one of the number 1 tires that people use.
I will see how these are going through this winter, if not I will change them out for the
Crossclimate 2’s.
Defenders are a good tire but a bit much for a car-based CUV/SUV like the Pilot in my opinion. You'll like the Cross Climates.

Reactions: rcs
Defenders are a good tire but a bit much for a car-based CUV/SUV like the Pilot in my opinion. You'll like the Cross Climates.
I like big beefy tires...makes me feel more secure. The smaller tires that came with the SUV Michelin Primacy's I always felt they were too small.

Back