Set Tire pressure to Manual/Sticker Recommended or 2 PSI over?

The tire shop I go to usually sets PSI 2 to 4 above the sticker recommendation. I usually go with +2 PSI depending on the weather and conditions it varies though.

What do most people set PSI to?

I go with door sticker pressure for my cars since I can check and add whenever. For others I'll go up to the next whole even number

It depends on how I'm using the vehicle. For driving around town, which is short trips on poorly-maintained streets, I run 30 lbs front and 28 lbs rear. This includes the occasional short freeway hop (about 6 miles) once or twice a month.

For longer, higher-speed freeway drives I'll run 32 to 34 lbs front and rear. I believe that 34 lbs is the recommended pressure on the door jamb sticker.

There's a lot of variables but with the dumbing down of the average driver and subsequent legal mandate of TPMS I would go at least +2 if I were a tire shop. It would simply reduce comebacks and customer complaints.

My mom panics every time her KL Cherokee says a tire is low, and it does it EVERY morning until it warms up then it ALWAYS goes away. You'd think at some point she'd learn, but that hasn't happened yet.

I drive trucks primarily so I judiciously adjust pressures based upon load and towing. The best thing I did w Forscan was disable TPMS in my SuperDuty because it doesn't account for an empty long bed.

Set Tire pressure to Sidewall Recommended or 2 PSI over?​

Your topic says "sidewall recommended" but the body of your message says "sticker recommended." Which one is it? These would be two very different values.

The sidewall value is not a recommendation. It's just a max pressure that the tire can safely handle. Just making sure we're all on the same page. :)

My Tahoe with 20 in rims door sticker says 32 psi. Using a tread depth gauge, I was getting more edge wear. At 34 psi wear has evened out. Second set of the same tires the wear is even across the tires at 34. I suspect the OEM 32 is for better ride quality.
Check your wear, tires shops sell tires, I'm the one paying for tires. Tire monkey just puts them on and if over a little so what, get it out the door.
Also depends on gauge accuracy and who's is right.

Typically sidewall is max pressure consequently I never go by the sidewall.

I always go by door card +/- 2 psi which provides the intended driving experience per the automaker.

I've always been a little over guy, but the work Transit apparently likes eating the CENTER tread of the factory Contis-I keep lowering pressure trying to get the edges to wear faster, got the fronts all the way down to 40 PSI cold & it's barely helping! Guess I drive in a straight line too much!

It depends on how I'm using the vehicle. For driving around town, which is short trips on poorly-maintained streets, I run 30 lbs front and 28 lbs rear. This includes the occasional short freeway hop (about 6 miles) once or twice a month.

For longer, higher-speed freeway drives I'll run 32 to 34 lbs front and rear. I believe that 34 lbs is the recommended pressure on the door jamb sticker.
The specified pressures are specified in order to support the load of the vehicle with adequate margins. Reducing pressures for the purposes of ride quality can be dangerous as the tires may not be able to support the load.

After the Ford Explorer debacle back in the 90s vehicle manufacturers have emphasis on safety with tire pressure placards in the door. If you are using tires of the same size as what came as original equipment then stick with the placard. I agree with others here, the tire pressure listed on the sidewall is for the max pressure the tire is capable of operating. That’s not necessarily the safest or for longest tread life. To qualify this….MY OPINION ONLY.

The specified pressures are specified in order to support the load of the vehicle with adequate margins. Reducing pressures for the purposes of ride quality can be dangerous as the tires may not be able to support the load.
I understand your concern, and I do pay attention to the load carryong capacity of the tires. For short trips around town, the reduced pressure is of no concern to me. I've checked tire inflation tables and the pressures I'm running around town are more than adequate for the Camry. Also, it's interesting to note that the 34 lb pressure is for the 4-cyl engine and the 6-cyl has a recommendation for somewhat lower pressure.

I run placard in the summers and placard for the size (they are an OE size for the GC, just not the SRT version) for my winters.

Back