Set Tire pressure to Manual/Sticker Recommended or 2 PSI over?

Same size tires for both engines?
Please forgive the picture quality ... I just did a couple
of quick and dirty snaps.

6cyl.jpg

4cyl.jpg

Attachments

• 4cyl.jpg
    4cyl.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 8
Your topic says "sidewall recommended" but the body of your message says "sticker recommended." Which one is it? These would be two very different values.

The sidewall value is not a recommendation. It's just a max pressure that the tire can safely handle. Just making sure we're all on the same page. :)
Well....... A moderator changed this thread as I never said anything about sidewall????

My question was about the sticker.

Some of the 2000's SUV's used to have quite low recommended pressures, so I wouldn't below those, or if you've got a minivan and have it full of people and stuff often. Then the recommended might be the bare minimum. I think now more commonly is we have 5 passenger SUV's that have a huge amount of tire load capacity that will never be used, but the recommended pressure is set for fuel economy, so backing off the recommended pressures a bit is fine, in my unexpert opinion.

Last edited:
I always go by door card +/- 2 psi which provides the intended driving experience per the automaker.
I remember that worked out great for Ford and Firestone on the Ford Explorer back in the '90's. As I remember it cost several people their life and Firestone recalled millions of tires. I've ran at least 35 PSI in everything I've owned in the past 40 or so years.

Toyota's TPMS threshold is 80% of door sticker, but mine are adjustable. Set the "correct" pressure to what I want then press the button to set it for 80% of that.

I go around 3 lbs over sticker pressure so when a cold snap hits I'm not under. I don't need tire drama on the coldest days of the year. I actually got a flat by checking my air pressure at -10'F, the valve core stuck, probably a piece of condensation-ice, and slowly flattened the tire. Never again, I'm not checking tires in the cold, that's a nice-day thing.

• Wow
Reactions: rcs
I remember that worked out great for Ford and Firestone on the Ford Explorer back in the '90's. As I remember it cost several people their life and Firestone recalled millions of tires. I've ran at least 35 PSI in everything I've owned in the past 40 or so years.
Ya 26 psi was ridiculously low but that was over 20 years ago. How long do you want to hold automakers accountable? Should people no longer buy Jeeps because the old CJ from 40 yrs ago would break and tip over? Should we never buy a car made by GM because they wire tapped Ralph Nader's phone back in the 1960's?

The door sticker pressure is a compromise between comfort, handling, economy and safety. The last time I looked at the tires on the BMW, they said 54 psi max. I'll set them around 45-48 psi even if the sticker says 32-36.

Ya 26 psi was ridiculously low but that was over 20 years ago. How long do you want to hold automakers accountable? Should people no longer buy Jeeps because the old CJ from 40 yrs ago would break and tip over? Should we never buy a car made by GM because they wire tapped Ralph Nader's phone back in the 1960's?
closer to 30 years ago now, but the issue was still with the tires, regardless of Ford playing close to the margin on pressure.

Back