seriously,a good tax commisioner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month I got pulled over by a state trooper for having my car tag in my rear window and issued a ticket for operating an unregistered vehicle.The state trooper said he was not sure what was going on since I had good insurance,valid tag,title in my name,bill of sale and tag receipt but the computer showed my vehicle did not have a valid registration.So he gave me a warning for improper tag display and a ticket for invalid registration.After about 45 minutes of b.s.(I'm a correctional officer and was in uniform going home after work,he took my pistol and ran the serial number and returned it unloaded after giving me some grief about my having a pistol.I am a concealed carry permit holder.There is some antipathy towards corrections by the state troopers in the state of Georgia)
The next day I went to my county courthouse and had my registration activated.I talked with several officers that I know in the following weeks who were mystified by my ticket.I figured the ticket would not be expensive as my vehicle is a 93 Dodge Spirit and the tag is less than 20 dollars.So I called the courthouse in the neighboring county where the ticket was issued to inquire about the fine.I talked to a nice lady who informed me that the fine was seven hundred and five dollars--thats right 705 $.I told her "no offense ma'am the car is worth a grand tops the tag is less than 20 that is insane."
Well I cannot afford a ticket of that size.So I went back to the courthouse in my county and talked with the tax comissioner.A nice lady who spent an hour of her time researching my vehicles history. She came to the conclusion that when I purchased the vehicle last year and bought a tag and had the title transferred into my name that the clerk who did the transaction had neglected to change the registration into my name at that time.She then typed up a nice letter explaining that I had did all that was required of me and that her office had committed a clerical error resulting in the invalid registration.
This coming week I'll take that letter to the county where the ticket will be heard and attempt to talk to someone there and get the ticket dropped ,otherwise I'll have to wait til the 27th for my court date.Which means i'll have to keep 700 bucks in limbo in case the judge has a bad day and does not drop the fine instead of going ahead and paying bills with the money.
I am really amazed that the tax commissioner put it in writing that her office made a mistake.The lady has my vote in the next election.Her actions show how an elected official should act.

Yeah, that really is a good commissioner. I'd say you got a fine chance of getting the thing dropped with that letter.

I guess you know who you're voting for next go round.

From our corrupt cops, our cheating school system, and a general lack of common sense, this state has some major issues.

My county tax office has gone to bat for me on a couple of occasions. While I hate spending time there I can honestly say the individuals are personable and know their business.

Good luck with your ticket! That fee is insane. At least you weren't arrested on the spot. I've seen it happen.

You don't have to pay the fine the day it's assigned. (usually.) Tell them you're broke and want a payment plan. But I think with your letter you should get off.

But a plate in the rear window? Screw it in where it belongs, you're just asking for trouble.

Don't forget to write her a thank-you note and make sure her boss gets a copy (well... not sure about the boss, since it's admission of an error, maybe you could gloss over that part).

MY daughter has a 19 year old friend who is a blonde 5'8 beauty. Her plate screws were stripped. She got pulled over 4 times for plate in window late at night. She claimed she was afraid to put it on the rear because of plate thieves in the bad neighborhood she drives and works in.
Cops let her go every time.Guess why she really got pulled over.....
I drilled through the trunk and tapped new screws in. Her own dad wouldn't do it for her.

Originally Posted By: chad8
MY daughter has a 19 year old friend who is a blonde 5'8 beauty. Her plate screws were stripped. She got pulled over 4 times for plate in window late at night. She claimed she was afraid to put it on the rear because of plate thieves in the bad neighborhood she drives and works in.
I drilled through the trunk and tapped new screws in. Her own dad wouldn't do it for her.

pictures!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeeprnovru

pictures!!
smile.gif

Not necessary, we all know what license plate screws look like....

I always thought license plate in windows were shady. makes me think someone stole the car or stole the plate to put in the car. your just asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: jeeprnovru

pictures!!
smile.gif

Not necessary, we all know what license plate screws look like....

ROFL

Yikes. You were in uniform and he still didn't give you a break, the guy also took your pistol and ran the serial number and returned it unloaded.
21.gif
And you got a $705 ticket ?!?!?!

Lots of states / cities are using their law inforforment to bring in revenue since they are facing a budget crisis. Its common courtesy for cops to give firefighters, corrections officers and other cops a break for minor traffic infractions.

I had the tag in the rear window due to bad threads on the bumper mount and I was afraid the tag would fall off.Which I explained to the trooper and why he simply gave me a warning.

The trooper was young and drove an old Crown Vic,not a Charger like most of the patrol units have switched to.All of this suggests a rookie,low on the totem pole.My car is older, has no hubcaps ,looks "ghetto".So my theory is: rookie,looking to get some arrests sees a ghetto looking car late at night and thinks "there are probably some drugs or drinking going on in that car, I'll use the tag in the window as an excuse to pull it over."Especially since I was going 58 in a 55 zone and a newer toyota van had just blew past me at 65+ mph.

BTW the tag is now held on with three different types/sizes of screws and bolts on the bumper mount.Hopefully the differences will keep them from working themselvs out simaltaneously and keep the plate secure.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its common courtesy for cops to give firefighters, corrections officers and other cops a break for minor traffic infractions.

The situation was dumb in two ways. The OP should have had the tag installed correctly, but the officer should have recognized that it was no big deal, he did his due diligence and found nothing, so nothing to it.

That "common courtesy" is ridiculous. Things like that IMO remove respect from the police, as it shows favoritism, which should not occur. The law should be impartial.

A plate in a rear window is a plate not properly lit.

I could imagine a cop almost taking offense, as if it were a rude gesture. Who knows, he might have followed you and not stopped you but ran the plate and seen it not in the computer right.

Around here dealers even screw plates on for test drives in the proper spot-- no more stashing them in the window propped up on the CHMSL.

Hot DANG !!!!!
shocked2.gif

She is gorgeous. She could probably be a Hawaiian Tropic sun tan lotion model.

Quote:
That "common courtesy" is ridiculous. Things like that IMO remove respect from the police, as it shows favoritism, which should not occur. The law should be impartial.

JHZR2,
I agree but when I used to go riding with my brother's friend who is a cop in south FL he would always give the other cop, firefighter, paramedic or corrections officer, sometimes even a nurse a verbal warning, even if they were doing 90 MPH in a 65 MPH speed zone. But for other drivers he said his Police Dept has a weekly quota or lets just say 'Enforcement Goal' that had to meet in order to be considered for a promotion. I'm sure the goal has gone up now that the city has lost revenue from people no longer paying their property taxes on property that are underwater.

Could probably get some deal where you pay a small fine for improper display, but get out of the invalid registration.

What is the fine for only the improper display? That's a legit fine, and should probably be paid. The other was a clerical error that wasn't your fault, and should be dropped.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
My guess is you'll have to go to court and talk to the judge.

BTDT.

You have plenty of evidence so it's just a time wasting PIA.

Depending on the jurisdiction they might give you time ahead of trial with the cop, a different cop prosecuting for the dept, or a DA/ asst DA. I bet if you explained yourself there you'd get all charges dropped.

I would not bring up the improper display if you don't have a ticket for it. You aren't guilty so you don't need to plea down.

A week before my court date I dropped off a copy of the letter from my tax office attesting to their clerical error.The clerk in the office wrote my phone numbers on the copy and placed it on the prosecutors desk.About three days later I stopped by the prosecutors office ,since I had not heard from them.The clerk informed me that the prosecutor was off until Tuesday of the following week.....the day of court.

So I planned on wasting most of a day and having to pay court costs at a minimum.I got to court at 945 am and at 1220(watching the court work was enlightening and frightening) got to talk to the prosecutor(she got there after I did,tough job).She looked over my letter and dismissed the case and told me to pay the court cost of $75"thats better than 700".I did not fuss about it.

Although I feel if she had not been on vacation and had been in the office the case would have been tossed earlier.My name would never have appeared on the docket and I would not have had to pay the court cost.So I feel slightly ripped off.

All in all it went the way I told my wife it would go and she promptly snagged 400 dollars of the money left.lol.So I ended up nearly broke anyway.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back