Septic tanks treatments

Y'all:

We have a 1,200 gallon tanks that feeds leach lines. The house and septic system is 28 years old. During rainy periods we have to be careful with water usage (no long showers or multiple laundry loads on the same day) because the leach lines become more saturated, causing the tank to fill past the top of the output pipe.

When we bought the house 19 years ago I put 18" manhole covers on both sides of the tank. Having easy access to check and maintain things is a good thing. I've always noticed a scum layer and on the solid side, and a less prominent scum layer on the leach side.

I've never used septic treatments until recently but because of saturation in winter months I decided to try one. I used Roebic K-57 and the results are astounding! The scum layer on the solid side has almost disappeared, and the water on the leach side has become so clear I can see parts of PVC pipe that are 6 inches below the surface of the water.

I just thought I'd pass this on. The reason I chose Roebic was because of the reviews I saw on the internet. People swear buy it.

This is just a FWIW. I have no association with Roebic in any way.

Scott

IMG_9377.jpeg

Last edited:
What's in your tank needs no additives. Oh wait, this is a different type of black gold ✨😆
That's always been my belief but after seeing what I presume to be significant benefits, I've changed my opinion.

To anyone with a septic system, I suggest installing manhole covers. They provide an excellent way to monitor things.

Scott

I am skeptical of these products the same way I think about "mechanic in a bottle" products. There are plenty of Google "Septic Tank Additive Studies" that agree: " Additives have little positive effect on septic system performance, and in some cases may actually be harmful."
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/HENV/HENV505/HENV505.pdf

The SDS for your product states that it only has the "bacteria" type additive, nothing to break up the top scum layer of oils/greases/etc.. Something doesn't add up. The top scum layer is normal. Dissolving it and sending it into your leach field might make your leach field even worse in the long term!. "Crystal clear water" might also indicate that you are sending solids into your leach field, or maybe it is settling out, but who knows?

Be careful.

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/2079/2014/02/septic-additives.pdf - Don’t Let Your Dollar$ Go Down the Drain!

I DO envy this happy family enjoying their back yard due to using "Septic Genie" additive system, LOL
1717953834540.jpeg

Last edited:
There is no need for additives.
A tank needs to be pumped every three years.
The leach field is 28 years old. That right there could be your problem. Especially so if, you have tree roots extending into your leach field.

I use the packets of bacteria and enzyme everytime I go out of town. This year I had it pumped out because of stuff I've read on here. Tank use started in 08 and had never been pumped. It wasn't totally full and was all liquid. It's 1k gal tank that feeds 4 long drainfields.
The shocking thing to me was when I asked the driver where he dumped it, he said he had a permit to spread it on pastures. ugh.

Do you have an effluent filter on the outlet of your tank, between the tank and the absorption field? Reason I ask is, these additives can cause more slurry to escape the tank and into the effluent filter, or go straight into the absorption field, plugging it.

I am by no means a septic expert. I've just lived with them for many decades. My current home has it's original ~1972, 1000gal, single chamber concrete tank system w/ no effluent filter. My key to longevity for a family of 6 is to never use multi layer toilet paper. Have to stick with "good old" scotts tissue. Going light on the bath and laundry waste water is key as well like you say. Paper pulp from "soft" tissue turns into a massive paper wad and will not digest. I dig my lids up and have mine pumped every 2-4 years. Pumper truck guys (knock on wood) always say it looks good. Never a massive amount of solids.

Having lived on septic systems for 60 years, I have formed my own opinions. The idea that your septic system is fine "as is" is incorrect. There are a large number of reasons why the microbes may not function well. They include bleach, laundry disinfectants, laundry lint, dishwasher detergents, hot water discharge, and more.

Additives can restore normality to a malfunctioning system and can help to naturally consume problems.

As mentioned above, when possible, using an effluent filter can extend drainfield life significantly.

ef_6_002_rcw.jpg

The only additive I have found useful is Copper Sulfate added by a drop pipe installed in the out flow of the tank, not added to the tank. It kills tree roots in the field drain.

Over time, a drain field gets "gummed" up with sludge and scum and can't drain down in to the ground causing effluent to come up to the surface.

There are some things to avoid to slow this process. No garbage disposals! Undigested food needs to go in the garage or compost. Especially meats, fats and proteins which are not well broken down by the septic tank bacteria. Especially don't dump coffee grounds down the drain. The septic tank bacteria do absolutely nothing to break down coffee grounds and any that make it out to the drain field just hastens drain field degradation by contributing to the mass of bio-solids that eventually plug then up.

Avoid running large amounts of water down the drain all at once to give time for solids to break down. It's better to space water usage out over time, so avoid having a laundry day and do a few loads multiple times a week. Lastly, try to reform those water wasting shower hogs.

Last edited:
Don't agree if you have a healthy tank.
You don’t have to agree with me. I’m going by what the septic service man told me. I’ve been in my home for six years and have have it pumped twice. Both times it was full of solids on one side. The house and system is eleven years old and in good shape. Plus, there are no trees any where around it.

...."Crystal clear water" might also indicate that you are sending solids into your leach field, or maybe it is settling out, but who knows?....
I'm not sure how crystal clear water would be sending solids into the leach field. I think crystal clear water is better than sending murky looking water in the leach field.

Scott

I'm more curious how your field becomes that saturated. How may feet of lines do you have?
Heavy rainfall. Two years ago when we had over TWICE our normal rainfall (38 inches versus the normal 18) and for one storm we got 11 inches in just 3 days (biblical by the standards here); that caused so much back flow it caused the tanks to fill, literally to the tops of the manhole covers. I had them pumped and within four hours the tanks were one again full to the manhole covers! It was insane!

The county has no record of where the leach lines are.

As an aside, until that heavy rainfall year we never once had any problems with our septic system. Nearly everyone else in the neighborhood has, however. I was told by the original owner next door to us that one of the subcontractors was going to buy our house. Maybe our septic system was a better one than all the others.

Scott

Over time, a drain field gets "gummed" up with sludge and scum and can't drain down in to the ground causing effluent to come up to the surface.

There are some things to avoid to slow this process. No garbage disposals! Undigested food needs to go in the garage or compost. Especially meats, fats and proteins which are not well broken down by the septic tank bacteria. Especially don't dump coffee grounds down the drain. The septic tank bacteria do absolutely nothing to break down coffee grounds and any that make it out to the drain field just hastens drain field desegregation by contributing to the mass of bio-solids that eventually plug then up.

Avoid running large amounts of water down the drain all at once to give time for solids to break down. It's better to space water usage out over time, so avoid having a laundry day and do a few loads multiple times a week. Lastly, try to reform those water wasting shower hogs.
We never use our garbage disposal for anything other than very minor sink debris when we rinse it out. I agree with you, plumbing isn't designed for garbage.

Scott

Do you have an effluent filter on the outlet of your tank, between the tank and the absorption field? Reason I ask is, these additives can cause more slurry to escape the tank and into the effluent filter, or go straight into the absorption field, plugging it.

I am by no means a septic expert. I've just lived with them for many decades. My current home has it's original ~1972, 1000gal, single chamber concrete tank system w/ no effluent filter. My key to longevity for a family of 6 is to never use multi layer toilet paper. Have to stick with "good old" scotts tissue. Going light on the bath and laundry waste water is key as well like you say. Paper pulp from "soft" tissue turns into a massive paper wad and will not digest. I dig my lids up and have mine pumped every 2-4 years. Pumper truck guys (knock on wood) always say it looks good. Never a massive amount of solids.
No effluent filter.

I agree about TP.

Scott

Reactions: JTK
There is no need for additives.
A tank needs to be pumped every three years.
The leach field is 28 years old. That right there could be your problem. Especially so if, you have tree roots extending into your leach field.
Yes, We get it pumped every 3 years. I think your comment regarding age and roots is a factor.

I got a quote just to have the leach lines done. No tank replacement. $30K to $35K - and that doesn't include putting your landscaping back together aside from filling up the tranches and holes. California prices, I suppose. Ridiculous.

Scott

Back