"Senseless Ambiguity of NA Turn Signals"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made it through 5 minutes. Sounds like he's making up a bunch of issues. Instead of worrying about brake light schemes stop driving aggressively and following too closely. It's always worked for me.

Given that a majority of the drivers in my little slice of heaven don't even bother to signal, the color of the non-existent signal is not an issue for me.
laugh.gif

I say if the free market wants it like this, then so be it! The automotive industry does not need more regulations.

Let the designers decide what is appropriate, also with LED coming on strong this will be less of an issue.

I also want to see allowed tailgating function that makes your taillights flash if someone gets too close at the rear.

Vern I would argue that regulations and standards are distinct things. Amber turn signals could become a standard without becoming a regulation.

Whether we like him or not what he says makes sense! I have not bought a car without amber turn signals since 1975. To me it is a matter of safety, no ambiguity with an amber signal. I'm sad to say that I've seen european cars also without the amber signal in Europe. At one time it was the law, but obviously no more.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Love this guy!
laugh.gif

I about spit coffee all over my keyboard when he says "it may require you to put down you cup of coffee or cell phone". Too funny but so true.

What I can't stand are turn signal bulbs that are a pain in the rear, pun intended, to change. My 04 S60R had a little trap door on either side and the bulbs were all there and easy to get to. On a Lincoln LS or 05-09 Mustang you have to take half the trunk apart to get to the bulbs. Customers will come in and want us to change them in parts and on those cars I send them to service since I can't be down doing something like that for 15-20 minutes.

I observe and remember a lot of mundane things others miss or don't care about.
Crete is one of the only trucking companies I've noticed that has amber turn signals on it's trailers.

One pet peeve is that my German car has amber turn lights, but the amber color is handled by coloring the bulb. The lens is clear. The color has mostly flaked off the bulbs, so my turn signals are mostly white.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
One pet peeve is that my German car has amber turn lights, but the amber color is handled by coloring the bulb. The lens is clear. The color has mostly flaked off the bulbs, so my turn signals are mostly white.

True. An amber lens telegraphs "Watch this space". Without it, there's just a bunch more ambiguous space that could be a reverse light or anything else.

Stylists can style 99% of the car. Let's standardize the few dozen square inches reserved for signalling so others don't wreck into you.

I bet if the self-driving car people got involved and lobbied for sensible signals it'd happen then.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Kestas

True. An amber lens telegraphs "Watch this space". Without it, there's just a bunch more ambiguous space that could be a reverse light or anything else.

Stylists can style 99% of the car. Let's standardize the few dozen square inches reserved for signalling so others don't wreck into you.

I bet if the self-driving car people got involved and lobbied for sensible signals it'd happen then.

Indeed, the self-driving fetishists are the ones who would care about making turn signals amber. How else can an image/video algorithm know the difference between a brake and a signal if both lights are red?

I never liked amber turn signals, you always had to have a converter box to hook up a trailer pigtail. These days with bcms controlling the lights, I guess it doesn't really matter.

If you guys would have actually taken the 14 minutes to watch this instead of strawmanning him within the first 90 seconds, you'd have seen that he makes some good observations as a non-enthusiast.

I've actually subscribed to this guy's YT channel for a while now. He has some pretty fascinating looks at real technology that is fact driven and includes actual research. I suggest the street light one, I learned quite a lot.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I say if the free market wants it like this, then so be it! The automotive industry does not need more regulations.

I'm not going to get into the political debate around regulation, but I don't agree that it's a "free market" when it comes to brake lamps. A given car comes with one design. Maybe if you're lucky there's a slightly different version for one of the trim levels (e.g. hybrid).

Styling is highly subjective, but lights and indicators are safety items first and foremost. I think too many design studios are forgetting that.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Auto lighting examination? I was linked to a short video of a policeman urging the use of directional signals. Nothing about amber lights etc.?

Watch the video in the first post, not in the 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back