Self propelled walk behind ES - Honda or JohnDeere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fell into the Honda craze three years ago. Not worth it, before anyone says that I do not know how to care for my equipment, I have over 500 hours on my weedeater(still starts on third pull). Buy what you want, but my money would go with Deere.

I never said other brands couldn't last decades too. I have a 20+ year old push mower (maybe an AYP) with a Briggs flat head that has never had the cylinder head taken off. It's still used regularly, and has been used on a lot of things that are not grass. It also went without a muffler for two years, just a Home Depot straight pipe, but now has a muffler again.

I have the Honda HRX and have no regrets.
Just fired it up today (still 1-pull) to mow the tall still partial wet grass. Then I didn't feel like doing it so I made my son do it.

While trying to research where they are made I found a number of references to John Deere abandoning the walk behind mower market and having dealers sell Honda instead.

I searched the Honda dealer network using a different query (sales vs sales/service) and sure enough many of the area JD dealers are also Honda dealers. Seems the closest JD dealer is now selling Cub Cadet mowers and not Honda though.

This doesn't bode well for future parts availibility...

It also moves the closest Honda dealer a bit closer and the Box stores do have blades and air filters for the Honda which can't be said for my current JS63...

I avoided the JD walk-behinds because they seemed to be the "entry level" big-box equivalents that so often don't carry the same quality as their larger, reputed counterparts.

Honda is all over the big box stores and IMO is targeted towards the homeowner and that use cycle. I've owned two honda walk-behinds. as someone posted above, they are not overbuilt, but built enough. The machines do better with savvy maintenance, though the engines seem to run no matter what as long as they are fed clean fuel.

Like any other machine, they require some care. My ex has an 8 year old honda hrx17 or somesuch. it never gave me any trouble, but several years without maintenance and my son says its starting to have trouble.

I have a newer model and it is typical honda. starts easily, has decent power, the handles don't break off, but I do have a hard time keeping the blade sharp.

O.K. I'm confused...

I keep getting references to "big box" low quality, but few specific examples...

I should probably mention at this point that the John Deere that I've already told you has provided excellent service is from Home Depot and it IS apparently different from the ones sold by dealers, although I'm not sure how specifically.

Anyway, do the Honda's (and Echo trimmers) sold at Home Depot differ from those sold by dealers and if so how...

What is the difference in the two Honda model #'s
HRX2173HZA, HRX217K3HZA

Looking online, the K indicates a change from a Xenoy deck to a Nexite deck. Both are plastic decks, but I don't know what the difference is. Feature wise the mowers appear the same and probably operate exactly alike.

Whats wrong with your JS63? I have a 1999 model and it is still going strong. The JS63 has a tuff torq transmission and is almost indestructible. If your JD is still in relatively good shape why spend $500.00 plus to replace it? As far as examples you might consider the Snapper Hi- Vac which is a well built heavy duty mower. Snapper.com, Thanks, Gman

Originally Posted By: gman2304
As far as examples you might consider the Snapper Hi- Vac which is a well built heavy duty mower. Snapper.com, Thanks, Gman

There you go, they're all I've used since '85 with only minor changes since the late '70s... Drive system is time proven, seldom gives a problem...

I have a "rebuilt" '83 Snapper Hi Vac, with a '04 Honda engine I went through last summer, will likely be the last mower I own...

Sigh...

I'm really not sure what was unclear about "these are the only two models under consideration"...

I guess it is a moot point since it appears the JD will soon be NLA.

I'm going through the same dilemna right now. I have to buy a mower, soon, and I've pretty much decided on the John Deere JS46/48, or one of the Honda HRX series mowers. My gut tells me the Hondas are a better mower, but I grew up on a farm and have a thing for Green & Yellow, even if it isn't really Green & Yellow.

I believe both JD and Snapper are built by Briggs & Stratton. The Deere is considerably cheaper than the Honda.

My local Deere dealer didn't even know the JS48 existed. They can still get a JS46, which is probably the same mower. They're carrying primarily Honda stuff now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Do you just pull off both wheels and oil them and what type of grease is best

The Honda drive axle bushings?

No. Unfortunately it's not that simple. You do have to pull each rear wheel, then remove the gear on the axle by releasing a snap ring. You need to keep track of each part, because there's a key, a spring and a series of washers in there too, before you even get at the bushing.

Thing is, there no way to get oil in there w/out removing them which requires the removal of another two snap rings.

I greased mine with Supertech lithium grease this past fall and it didn't hold up. I either need to emery cloth my bushings or replace them all together.

If you keep the machine dry, they'll last a long time. Mine didn't start acting up until last year and I bought the mower new in 1999.

Joel

My vote would be a Black Max from Sam's. You can get them for less than $300. Get 5+ years out of it, and buy a new one. Heck, you can get a 3 yr free replacement warranty from Sam's for like $30 I think.

Please tell me why people spend so much money on a lawnmower, and then replace them so often. With the cost of replacement parts, most people just replace mowers cause the repair doesn't equal the value of the mower.

My $.02,
Kevin

If there's nothing wrong with the old one why replace it? We have the same mower that's still going strong. But if you determined to replace it I would go with the JD. Home Depot provides good customer service if anything should go wrong. I'm not sure about you but our JD dealer has always been extremely helpful and rather inexpensive on parts for out riders and push mower. Up here we don't have any Honda dealers so I can't really give you comparison on them.

To bring this one to a close, I bought the Honda.

Took less than hour of the JD sitting down by the road to sell it...

I know you already purchased it but for other readers.

I have this Honda mower also and its awesome. Super easy to start, the motor is VERY quiet and it's good on gas. They carry a 5 year warranty too.

One other perk is Honda's dual blade mulching system. I don't know if you looked under the deck but Honda's actually have 2 blades. I had to empty my Toro 3-4 times as often....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back