Self propelled walk behind ES - Honda or JohnDeere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace our roughly 10 year old John Deere (JS63 I think).

Looking at the JS48

and

HRX217HZA

Power ratings look similar, the Honda has ball bearing wheels which I perceive as a plus and a longer warranty. The John Deere has an oil filter which I perceive as a plus.

The John Deere has single point height adjustment (I don't often adjust height) and the Honda does not. I am not sure I like the battery on the handle of the Honda, it seems like a lot of weight out there for durability (perhaps the Honda engine really is that smooth though?).

The Honda mower is substantially more expensive than the John Deere. Like nearly double...

I'd consider the present John Deere has given exceptional service so that is a plus too.

So, am I missing something here does the Honda offer something that makes it a good value above the John Deere?

(These are the only two under consideration, our yard is too hilly for a rider but is pretty large.)

Plastic deck vs. steel. I didn't care for the engine on the Honda (I like the GX series), and the Deere dosn't say who makes their engine (guess). For the price they are asking, they have really cheapened them up. It's been a while since I bought a push mower, after seeing this, I'd be inclined to find a good old used one.

I say the Honda. Iv'e talked with one of the lawn guys and hes been using his for 5-10 years. If cared for they last. Some people have them don't take care of them much and they still last. You might look at one of the consumer magazines. They probably review them in the spring.

Why does your John Deere need replaced?

I would go with a honda product. Deere uses multiple engines, none as nice as the Hondas which start easy and run forever

I would also recommend Snapper. Picked up another new Snapper with a Kawasaki engine with Oil Filter few months ago. Snapper has recently switched to all Briggs/Stratton engines since Briggs now owns Snapper but there are a few Kawasakis still in the supply chain.

Last edited:
I'd go Honda over a Deere in a heartbeat.
I had a Honda for 14 years and then bought a Toro key start Personal Pace mower.
I've had the Toro for 5 years.Not a bad machine.I love the Person Pace feature.I did just replace a drive belt.
All the Honda needed in 14 years was two cables.
I'd go back to a Honda next time.

I too would prefer the Honda over a current JD push mower. The current JD units are a far cry of what they were years ago.

I've got an older Honda steel deck, single speed self propelled mower that's been abused and still starts in 1-2 pulls.

One issue with the Hondas is the bushings at each rear wheel, where the self-propel drive axle runs through. They need to be cleaned and re-greased every so often, or it will put so much drag on the drive system (especially the hydrostatic!!), that you'll cook it. They'll last 10yrs between servicing if you don't get them wet.

Thing is- You'll be amazed at how well designed it is when you pull a rear wheel off, remove the snap-rings, etc. They're definitely not over-built, just built very well.

Last year I paid ~$700 for a Snapper Commercial "Ninja series" mower. It's nice, but heavy. It's way too loud with the "Ninja" blade on it too.

Honestly, your best bang for you buck is an aluminum deck Toro super recycler. You can't go wrong there.

Joel

Last edited:
I'd go with the John Deere because of price. Also, that engine is a Briggs & Stratton 875 series. I know this because I have the same engine on our Pressure washer. It's an easy to start engine.

Last edited:
I would at least look at a Toro Super Recycler. I think they are the best homeowner push mowers. That's the same JD series sold at Lowe's and is certainly nothing special. Whatever you get, make sure you buy from a local dealer and not a big box.

I know you said only the two models you listed, but I think you could get the same mower minus the electric start for about $100 MSRP cheaper if you don't need it. The Hondas I have used start really easy-one or two pulls. Check out the Honda HRX217HYA features on their web page and compare it to the one you listed.

The engine is only part of the puzzle IMO.

Having wheels and associated hardware that won't break off and a drive system that's reliable is more important.

Joel

The Deere has a Briggs & Stratton.

You guys are being too subtle...

When you say "Having wheels and associated hardware that won't break off and a drive system that's reliable is more important." I have to assume that you're saying the Honda has an unreliable drive system and wheels and hardware that fall off, since I've had no issues with that.

The electric start and utter reliability in the face of nearly complete neglect are important (I'm not the only one that uses it, and can be away for extended periods).

Being able to get spare parts quickly and on weekends is also important... (the nearest Honda power equipment dealer other than Home Depot is about 25 miles in a direction I never go.)

Those that said you'd pick one or the other can you please enumerate your reasons. I have no issue spending the extra money if I get something for it.

Let us assume these are the only two models in the world, no other ones have ever been manufactured and it is your $400.00 extra, would you spend the extra?

EDIT: Oh, the Honda's plastic deck is another minus in my mind, but it is warranted for life (assuming the fine print on the warranty is passable) this makes it somewhat of a non-issue...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

When you say "Having wheels and associated hardware that won't break off and a drive system that's reliable is more important." I have to assume that you're saying the Honda has an unreliable drive system and wheels and hardware that fall off, since I've had no issues with that..

No, I'm saying the Honda is a much better built machine than the particular JD you are comparing it to.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

When you say "Having wheels and associated hardware that won't break off and a drive system that's reliable is more important." I have to assume that you're saying the Honda has an unreliable drive system and wheels and hardware that fall off, since I've had no issues with that..

No, I'm saying the Honda is a much better built machine than the particular JD you are comparing it to.

Joel

In what way? What is wrong with the hardware and drive system on the JS48 and how is it different from that of the JS63?

Oh, and I have actually looked at both of these in the last week, neither seemed to have any glaring deficiencies.

The Honda says "Assembled in USA from Domestic and Foreign Components" which isn't really helpful. Any one know if any of the Foreign Components = China?

Same question for Deere (I forgot to look at the box).

JTK - I do appreciate your analysis of the Honda's drive wheel construction - that is the sort of fact based stuff I'm looking for.

Incidentally both engines are 190cc, I think the 160cc Honda engine is much more common and is what is used on other brands that are "Honda Powered".

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I know you said only the two models you listed, but I think you could get the same mower minus the electric start for about $100 MSRP cheaper if you don't need it. The Hondas I have used start really easy-one or two pulls. Check out the Honda HRX217HYA features on their web page and compare it to the one you listed.

I just bought the HRX217HYA. Easy to start. You do not need the electric start. The plastic deck is very strong and won't rust. It cleans up easier than steel decks I have .

To be honest, that Deere doesn't look like anything special for $500. I'm sure it's a nice mower and will be reliable, but so will anything else with that Briggs engine. I'd probably go for a Toro instead.

The Honda is expensive, but it will last if you don't tear it up. If you're going to be slamming it into tree roots and sticks you're asking for a bent crankshaft (not a sheared key). If you don't mow recklessly, the Honda will last decades. The plastic deck actually does seem to be pretty strong and can hold up over many years. One of my neighbors has a circa 1995 Honda Harmony with a plastic deck. The "tire" part of the wheels is completely chewed off and the transmission cables have so much slack there's no more adjusting them, but the deck is completely fine and it still cuts all season every season. The air filter is just a foam precleaner and has been for several years, but it still starts on the first or second pull. I told him he could get a Kohler air filter at Home Depot for $7 that would fit, but I doubt that's going to happen. I also gave him the part numbers for new cables, but I don't think that's going to happen either.

I can't quite figure out where JD is sourcing these push mowers from.

I know years ago they were re-badged aluminum decked Snappers.

Looking at the hardware, height adjustment, etc. it looks like it's still made by Snapper. The Deere seems comparable to the Snapper SE or NXT series.

You might be on to something there!

Thing is, I dunno if those Snapper SE or NXT's have an exposed front axle under that plastic nose. If so, the JD shell would be quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back