Honda GSV 190 Carburetor

I replaced the carburetor on a Honda GSV 190 that powers a Billy Goat yard vac. I replaced the carb with an original part for that engine. (The old one had clogged jets, as best I could tell.)

I hooked the new carb up to the machine and installed the two push rods and spring, and vacuum line, as it was all hooked up originally. Now the carburetor appears to be dumping fuel into the motor, to the point where it dumps out the side where the air filter would be (removed for troubleshooting).

Did I do something wrong in installing the carb? Or did I get a bad one? I am very perplexed as the connections were all straightforward and this is an original part. Any help appreciated. I am at my wit’s end with this machine, as I have had too many problems, with the self propelled, to it originally not running properly (adjusted under warranty) and now acting up again with a new carb.

Thank you.

I’m following. We had this engine on our Ryobi power washer. Lasted 5 years of light use and the engine seized. Changed the oil once a year too. Maybe 5 hours each year on it.

I am tempted to set this machine on fire. May try to see what I can get on a trade and wash my hands of it. I am usually very good at fixing these things, and changing carbs isn’t exactly brain surgery. I wonder if the float is stuck but again it is a new original carb so I am perplexed. Will call the place I use Tuesday and see if I can drop it off (to avoid the temptation to set it on fire) if no one here has any ideas.

Sounds like you just got a bad carb or a slug of trash in the fuel.

Option 1: Take the bowl off the carb and see if it has trash in it.
Apply fuel to the carb with the bowl off and see if trash flushes out.
Lift the float gently to see if fuel shuts off.
There may be trash in the needle valve or by some fluke the viton tip may be off the needle.

Option 2: Input engine model number into Amazon and buy carb that looks like yours for about $20 and wait two days.
Splice new Briggs red pancake style fuel filter into fuel line in case trash was the problem.
Change engine oil in case cylinder got a bunch of fuel in it.
Congratulate self for fixing demon machine.

I've bought several of the Amazon chineseium carbs for various machines and except for the one that didn't fit at all, the others have worked as good or better than OEM.

Sounds like you just got a bad carb or a slug of trash in the fuel.

Option 1: Take the bowl off the carb and see if it has trash in it.
Apply fuel to the carb with the bowl off and see if trash flushes out.
Lift the float gently to see if fuel shuts off.
There may be trash in the needle valve or by some fluke the viton tip may be off the needle.

Option 2: Input engine model number into Amazon and buy carb that looks like yours for about $20 and wait two days.
Splice new Briggs red pancake style fuel filter into fuel line in case trash was the problem.
Change engine oil in case cylinder got a bunch of fuel in it.
Congratulate self for fixing demon machine.

I've bought several of the Amazon chineseium carbs for various machines and except for the one that didn't fit at all, the others have worked as good or better than OEM.
What is it with the Chonda carbs … my old Briggs carbs outlasted the cutting deck … Any decent carbs besides the eBay junk ?

I replaced the carburetor on a Honda GSV 190 that powers a Billy Goat yard vac. I replaced the carb with an original part for that engine. (The old one had clogged jets, as best I could tell.)

I hooked the new carb up to the machine and installed the two push rods and spring, and vacuum line, as it was all hooked up originally. Now the carburetor appears to be dumping fuel into the motor, to the point where it dumps out the side where the air filter would be (removed for troubleshooting).

Did I do something wrong in installing the carb? Or did I get a bad one? I am very perplexed as the connections were all straightforward and this is an original part. Any help appreciated. I am at my wit’s end with this machine, as I have had too many problems, with the self propelled, to it originally not running properly (adjusted under warranty) and now acting up again with a new carb.

Thank you.
I cannot think of what you might have done wrong to cause this. Your experience would be far from the first one where an OEM part was bad out of the box. You could try putting the old carb back on to see if the leak stops.

FWIIW I own a similar if not identical Billy Goat with the GSV 190. It's a great machine. I ran mine a bit today. No problems of any sort here with the engine, but the main drive belt has been problematic. 10w-30 M1 HM in mine since day one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
Could also be a counterfeit part, I've had that happen as well unfortunately.

If it were me I'd either try to exchange it, or if exchanging it is a big hassle I'd pop the carb bowl off, and look at the needle/seat to see if there is any junk in there.

What is it with the Chonda carbs
I think most of us would agree it isn't the carbs but the stuff they sell for gas these days. It has a shelf life just slightly longer than milk and turns as corrosive as saltwater.
This fall I acquired a freebee riding mower that had been kicked out of the garage and parked outside for about six months. The hood was closed but water still managed to get into the vent hole on the fuel tank somehow. When I opened the carb it was full of this gelatinous stuff. I left the goo sitting out to dry a couple days and it all turned to powder like sawdust. No idea what it was, but I didn't even bother trying to rehab this mess. The Amazon replacement worked perfectly on first start.

goo.jpg

Update: I took the carb off and blew out the fuel line port with compressed air. Hooked up everything again and it seems to work now. My guess is the float was jammed. Why a new carb would have a jammed float I have no idea but it seems to be working again. And it doesn’t seem to be leaking fuel out of the air cleaner assembly. I will change the oil in the morning with the M1 10w30 in use in the mowers because I would imagine all the fuel washed the cylinder walls pretty good and diluted the oil. But for now it seems solved. Thank you all for the help and sanity check.

And the hilarious part of the story is likely the cost of a new Honda carburetor. The same story with all the manufactures, to charge as much for a few small parts that will add up to more than a new engine would be. I especially like the 30 some dollar o ring I'm thinking of.

The new original carburetor was $27 from the equipment dealer I use.

The new original carburetor was $27 from the equipment dealer I use.
That was a really good deal. The OEM originals of the carbs I replaced were all in the $50-60 range. The best Amazon deal I got was a new chinese carb with the same logo cast into the side as the original, new fuel line, fuel filter, and paper air filter for about $25. Jacks wanted almost that much just for a rebuild kit of gaskets and o rings for the original.

Back