Seems to be a Quest for Longer OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change my oil myself, and oil is still cheap, so I change mine every 5/6k. On top of that, I usually drive it kinda hard in my book, sometimes like I stole it, other times like an old driving miss Daisy

On my previous Impreza, I ran M1 5W30 with a 7500mi OCI because that's what the maintenance schedule called for. It also was convenient to change the oil and rotate the tires on the same schedule. My daily commute is about 60/40 highway/city, incidentally.

On my current Crosstrek, I plan on running 0W20 with a 6000mi OCI because that's what the maintenance schedule calls for. It may be that the engineers at Subaru dropped the recommended OCI due to oil consumption issues with the FA and FB engines, or because direct injection contaminates the oil faster, or because 0W20 doesn't last as long, or because the phase of the moon told them to - I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that I plan on keeping this vehicle for about 15 years and 180k miles, and the ~$300 savings from stretching a 6k OCI to let's say 9k over that period are substantially less than the value of the lifetime powertrain warranty that I got from the dealer when I bought the car new.

Not sure how long I'll go with my wife's Sienna. She does probably 25/75 highway/city, so I might go with Toyota's severe service recommendation of 5k rather than their normal 10k. I'll probably get a UOA from Blackstone about two oil changes from now just to get an idea of what's going on in there. Eventually I might split the difference and go with 7.5k to sync up with the tire rotations. I bought the car used, so there's no warranty to consider.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
confused2.gif
Who is doing these long OCI's?

Linctx (sp ?), he has 67,000 on AmsOil in his vehicle. BUT, he has by-pass filtering and he changes all filter media at least annually, tops up, and does used oil analysis ... He's doing it right
smile.gif

Others are mostly guessing ...

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1

Because it's their car, their money, and no ones business but their own what they do with either.

I will agree with that, except for the fact they go to great lengths to share their "business" with the general BITOG public.

Once they do that, they kind of invite everyone reading about it to "make it their business" too.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1

Because it's their car, their money, and no ones business but their own what they do with either.

I will agree with that, except for the fact they go to great lengths to share their "business" with the general BITOG public.

Once they do that, they kind of invite everyone reading about it to "make it their business" too.

I don't care what they do ain't my car and their not telling me what to do with mine!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I don't care what they do ain't my car and their not telling me what to do with mine!

You have over 2000 posts. You must care about sumthin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back