Seeking help interpreting ATF lab analysis report

Hello,

I have 2001 Volvo S80 (2.9L non-turbo engine) with a notably-fragile GM 4T65E transmission. Recently, the car lost forward drive and produced the Volvo-specific error code TCM-053: Lock-Up Pressure Switch Jammed.

Hoping for more information before I sent the car to a shop, I sent an ATF sample to a lab, specifically ALS Oil in Portland, OR, via a WIX kit. They returned a clean bill of health, and I am seeking a second opinion.

This is the full report:
Metalsppm
Iron (Fe)158
Chromium (Cr)<1
Lead (Pb)23
Copper (Cu)53
Tin (Sn)12
Aluminum2
Nickel (Ni)<1
Silver (Ag)<1
Titanium (Ti)<1
Vanadium (V)<1
Contaminantsppm
Silicon (Si)10
Sodium (Na)<1
Potassium (K)<1
Additivesppm
Magnesium (Mg)1
Calcium (Ca)138
Barium (Ba)<1
Phosphorus (P)207
Zinc (Zn)40
Molybdenum (Mo)<1
Boron (B)<1
Contaminants
Water (%)<0.05
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C)5.6
Solids (%)0.2
Physical / Chemical
Acid Number (mgKOH/g)0.72

For additional context, the ATF is Valvoline Dexron VI, and I did a drain-and-fill about 3000 miles ago.

Do you see anything useful here that I can share with a mechanic? I would greatly appreciate any insight.

What is the mileage on this fluid and vehicle? Is this the original OEM fluid or has it been changed recently?

The mileage on the vehicle is 223,000 miles, and the car received a new transmission around 13 years and 115,000 miles ago when I purchased it. A bit over 100,000 miles seems to be the lifespan of these transmissions, at least according to the Volvo forums. I have been performing a drain-and-fill around every 15,000 miles (made much easier with the GM transmission pan with a drain plug).

I suspected 158 ppm of iron was high, so I didn't immediately trust the fluid analysis diagnosis.

The mileage on the vehicle is 223,000 miles, and the car received a new transmission around 13 years and 115,000 miles ago when I purchased it. A bit over 100,000 miles seems to be the lifespan of these transmissions, at least according to the Volvo forums. I have been performing a drain-and-fill around every 15,000 miles (made much easier with the GM transmission pan with a drain plug).

I suspected 158 ppm of iron was high, so I didn't immediately trust the fluid analysis diagnosis.
What Trans Fluid were you using? What is the specked fluid for this transmission? Does this Trans take Dexron III
I am guessing you did not have a magnet on the Trans Pan?

You could ask them to do the cheaper options of replacing that pressure switch or if several of them replace them all with some new ones. Maybe that's all that's needed is the electrical pressure switch. I'd start there first.

To answer your questions:
  • The fluid is Valvoline Dexron VI; the car was sold with Dexron III. I'm unsure where I would buy Dexron III, since GM ended the license for Dexron III.
  • There was some speckling in the oil; I wanted to determine if it was iron, a clutch plate, or something else. It appears to be iron.
  • There is a magnet in the trans pan.

The iron does seem high for having done as many drain and fills as you have. If it was original fluid it would not be concerning.

Back