Boron (B) 51

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 9.4

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 5.4

I'm considering moving to 1 year oil changes in this vehicle. Not quite sure what I'm looking at here or if I have all the information needed to make that determination. This was a Wix kit from Rock Auto I purchased about a year ago and had completely forgotten about, so I decided to give it a try. Oil had been in the truck about 8 months.

Last edited:
Base indicates quite a bit of oil life left, under 1 means base is too low.
Noticed higher lead and copper than I would expect to see. Don't know if I would push to a year OCI.
This is the newest SN+ formulation indicated by lower calcium and magnesium in the formula.

Originally Posted by diyjake
4850 miles on the oil? What filter did you use?

What made you go with 5w30 instead of the 0/5w-20?

Yes, it was 4,850 miles on the oil. The filter was the OEM Toyota brand purchased at my local dealer.

I decided to go with 5w30 as I personally feel it MIGHT offer a little better protection, especially towing and interstate driving. The owners manual does state a higher viscosity oil may be a better choice when towing or high speed driving. In addition I researched the 5.7 engine and what oils were recommended across the pond. Evidently the Tundra is not sold overseas but the 5.7 engine can be found in the Lexus LX 570. With that application 5w30 was the recommendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Nice looking report. Did you ever do a UOA on the ow-20 for this vehicle?

Unfortunately I did not. It would have been nice to compare the two.

I am a little curious on the copper and lead levels. Anything to be concerned about in your opinion?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by klt1986

Yes, it was 4,850 miles on the oil. The filter was the OEM Toyota brand purchased at my local dealer.

I decided to go with 5w30 as I personally feel it MIGHT offer a little better protection, especially towing and interstate driving. The owners manual does state a higher viscosity oil may be a better choice when towing or high speed driving. In addition I researched the 5.7 engine and what oils were recommended across the pond. Evidently the Tundra is not sold overseas but the 5.7 engine can be found in the Lexus LX 570. With that application 5w30 was the recommendation.

I recently started servicing my brother-in-law's 2009 Tundra with the 5.7 and have been thinking about switching to 5w30 because he does use it for construction and does pull a trailer quite often. So far I did two oil changes, 1st time I used Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 with a Mobil1 Filter and the 2nd time I used 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum with a OEM filter. The OEM filter was a very tight fit and the plastic ring on the bottom of the filter cracked when I went to slide the filter over the oil filter housing cap, did you ever experience any issues with the OEM filter?

I recently started servicing my brother-in-law's 2009 Tundra with the 5.7 and have been thinking about switching to 5w30 because he does use it for construction and does pull a trailer quite often. So far I did two oil changes, 1st time I used Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 with a Mobil1 Filter and the 2nd time I used 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum with a OEM filter. The OEM filter was a very tight fit and the plastic ring on the bottom of the filter cracked when I went to slide the filter over the oil filter housing cap, did you ever experience any issues with the OEM filter?

I have not had any issues with the OEM filter.

Originally Posted by Danno

This is the newest SN+ formulation indicated by lower calcium and magnesium in the formula.

I think you meant to put a question mark, at the end of your sentence.
This is NOT the latest batch of Dexos1/Gen2 SN Plus. Too much Calcium and too low of Magnesium.

I am a little curious on the copper and lead levels. Anything to be concerned about in your opinion?

Copper and Lead are kind of high for a Toyota. Did you tow or lug the engine during this OCI?

Originally Posted by zorobabel

Copper and Lead are kind of high for a Toyota. Did you tow or lug the engine during this OCI?

Some moderate towing but nothing extreme. What is considered a high lead or copper result?

Some moderate towing but nothing extreme. What is considered a high lead or copper result?

It's all relative, but look at the averages here:
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/148248-5-7l-flex-fuel-uoa-lots/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2735555
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3936918/2014_Toyota_Tundra_5.7L_25k_mi
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4065659/1

It has been said on here that oil/fuel additives can increase the lead readings in UOAs; did you use any?

Last edited:

It's all relative, but look at the averages here:
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/148248-5-7l-flex-fuel-uoa-lots/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2735555
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3936918/2014_Toyota_Tundra_5.7L_25k_mi
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4065659/1

It has been said on here that oil/fuel additives can increase the lead readings in UOAs; did you use any?

Did not add any fuel additives to the tank. Really wish I had some reports from previous oil changes for comparison.

The only possible thing I have read that I could have possibly done different is: I could have possibly allowed the oil to drain from the sump a little longer before collecting the sample. I did not immediately stick the cup in the drain stream but it did drain for quite a while after I removed it.

You cannot worry about a one time uoa with that lead level. If you do regular uoa and it becomes a rising trend then you can worry. This might be a one off.

Some here would say it's just a particle streak. 6ppm Lead is not high enough to worry about (like Lead at 40ppm would be), but something to monitor.

So, lets say over the next 3 oil changes the lead averaged 5-7ppm. Would that be significant enough to be concerned about? Could a change in oil brands or viscosity affect this?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Boring go for the yearly OCI.

You would not be concerned with the lead or copper #'s?

If I went to a one year OCI, should I look at a M1 EP, PUP, Edge (Gold Bottle), or Amsoil? Stick with 5w30 or go back to what's on the oil cap of 5w20 or 0w20?

Originally Posted by PimTac
You cannot worry about a one time uoa with that lead level. If you do regular uoa and it becomes a rising trend then you can worry. This might be a one off.

That's what I'm thinking. One UOA is difficult to determine anything other than a problem, like high fuel dilution or a bad head gasket for example. I would stick with the same oil, the same grade, and get another UOA before I came to any real conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back