"Sealed lifetime transmissions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the fluid on my wife's HHR with 4T40E at 140k and what came out looked like what went in.

This trans is spec'd for Dex VI as of 2007 but took the cheap stuff earlier, and

There's substantial torque management from the electric throttle which helps it rev-match mid-shift. Very smooth and easy on the trans.

I would not be surprised to see these things last a lifetime on original fluid. Lifetime being until the ecotec lets go.
laugh.gif

This one's behind the old 2200 OHV in a Cavalier. Those engines are also known for running just about forever.

I have a trans dipstick and only need to undo a drain plug to drain and fill. Guess im lucky with an older car. But I feel your pain, changing headlights on a regal was tricky for me versus 5 minutes on mine.

Goodjob
At least you change yours, most people hear lifetime fluid and say yes never have to change, so less expense.

Im still lucky my car has a drain plug and a dipstick :)

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have a trans dipstick and only need to undo a drain plug to drain and fill. Guess im lucky with an older car. But I feel your pain, changing headlights on a regal was tricky for me versus 5 minutes on mine.

My Tacoma, made in 2012, has a dipstick and drain plug. I couldn't believe it.

The 4L60E deep pan in my Silverado comes with a factory drain plug which was a godsend because I was looking at DIY pics for the trans and they did not have a drain plug. However pulling the plug drains out only 2qts. Pull the pan and filter and 6qts comes out.

The A761E in my bro's Lexus LS430 was my first foray into servicing "sealed" transmissions. They were smart hiding the fill port behind a plastic cover so even an intermediate shadetree can't service it. However, I gave them praise for using a rubber gasket for the transmission pan because it uses a cellulose filter instead of the metal strainer + FIPG pas gasket common in Toyotas. The WS came out nasty for 100,000mi and flushed it out with 14qts of WS. Next change would be with Maxlife ATF and a 100,000mi interval. With WS being a non-synthetic oil I can't imaging pushing it past 50,000mi especially in a 4,000lb vehicle.

I found out tonight watching a "how to drain and refill" video on Youtube that my car even has a transmission drain plug! My 3000GT had one too. I'm so relieved I don't have to actually drop the pan to change the fluid!!

Here's a great video on it:

In regards to all the spillage in your first several steps, I'd have 1) put Jack stands under the side (or front or rear) of the car that would be getting the drain hole (so, if your drain hole is going to be towards the front of the pan, put Jack stands under the front of the car) to move the fluid towards the back of the tranny. 2) drilled a tiny hole ( with a hand drill, if necessary) that will allow oil to leak out (into a pan, lol) slowly until the fluid level dropped below the level of the hole. 3) get your drill out and finish drilling the hole to it's intended size. 4) lower the front of the car down (with a pan underneath) to allow remainder of fluid to drain. Edit: remove pan.

Wouldn't be perfectly clean, but probably better.

Edit: just saw the suggestion of the cement mixing tub. That sounds even better

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
One of the things that sealed the deal on my Accord,it actually has a transmission dip stick!
laugh.gif

+1. Too many manufacturers going to sealed units, thankfully Honda is not one of them. At least not to my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Tim_S
The transmissions and their fluid are high quality enough to get you past the end of normal warranty periods, after which you are on your own. Think statistically the # of customers who purchase lifetime warranties are in the minority, and given the $$ of those plans the OEM don't lose, if anything, should a transmission completely fail.

Interestingly, there's a local Toyota dealership including 20 year, unlimited mileage warranties on their new cars that are honored nationwide. So either Toyota, at least, is producing something that they think will make it a few hundred thousand k's, or they're hoping you sell it or die before you reach the 20 year mark. Or they've got a long list of not included failures.

I heard a radio ad from another local car lot, can't remember the brand, offering lifetime engine warranties. It might be something unique to Retirementville, FL, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Well the Challenger I just bought has a totally sealed transmission, no dip stick, no nothing. Plus it takes some exotic ATF that is some insane $35+ dollars a qt that I never even heard of. I guess it does have a filter but it's actually part of the transmission pan and from what I heard a full service is a nice even Grand.

I'm not touching the 6HP26 in the 328i, but I will change the ATF in the 8HP45 in the 2er at around 50k miles. As for cost, I've found kits with a ZF filter and seven quarts of ZF Lifeguard 8 ATF for under $300. Even with a coupe of hours labor that's less than $750.

Sealed for life or short life ? Or some just have a chastity belt. Take the infamous Ford AWD PTU - OK, I'm lucky enough to have a drain plug - but no human could remove it. (Can't touch it). Read where some remove exhaust from manifold to cats - get real. Yesterday I take it to my muffler guy and we move one pipe away from PTU - and closer to transmission - I get home and wrap the new pipe in high end header wrap to protect 6F55 - will do the fluid in a week.
Now I'm set to do at 30k if I so desire ...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Well the Challenger I just bought has a totally sealed transmission, no dip stick, no nothing. Plus it takes some exotic ATF that is some insane $35+ dollars a qt that I never even heard of. I guess it does have a filter but it's actually part of the transmission pan and from what I heard a full service is a nice even Grand.

I'm not touching the 6HP26 in the 328i, but I will change the ATF in the 8HP45 in the 2er at around 50k miles. As for cost, I've found kits with a ZF filter and seven quarts of ZF Lifeguard 8 ATF for under $300. Even with a coupe of hours labor that's less than $750.

For my JGC and his Challenger: A quick check of Amazon shows that Mopar-branded fluid for the 845RE (aka 8HP45) can be had for ~$22/quart, and a pan/filter kit for $125. Yes, that's more expensive than the older NAG-1 which could use ATF+4 at $12/quart and a $50 filter, but its still not off the charts considering how much better the ZF transmission is. A lot of us still compare to the "good ol' days" when a quart of DexIII was $3.00 and a filter for a Torqueflite 727 was $15. But as good as the 727 was (I still own two and love taking them out for a romp), I really don't want to go back to 3600 RPM at 75 mph and 12 mpg in my daily driver.

There are different filter pans for the Mopar transmissions though. They say the pan for the V6 is cheap like $125 but the pan for the SRT/Hellcat is around $350.
Probably the prices you guys are getting.

LOL. Been down that road before and exactly why I try to completely avoid DIY AT pan drops anymore. The old RTV removal and re-sealing always adds a whole 'nother element of "joy" for me. I'll do drains and fills all day long. Pan drops go to a shop for me.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

The A761E in my bro's Lexus LS430 was my first foray into servicing "sealed" transmissions. They were smart hiding the fill port behind a plastic cover so even an intermediate shadetree can't service it. However, I gave them praise for using a rubber gasket for the transmission pan because it uses a cellulose filter instead of the metal strainer + FIPG pas gasket common in Toyotas. The WS came out nasty for 100,000mi and flushed it out with 14qts of WS. Next change would be with Maxlife ATF and a 100,000mi interval. With WS being a non-synthetic oil I can't imaging pushing it past 50,000mi especially in a 4,000lb vehicle.

I just did the one in my parent's LS430, it wasn't a terribly difficult job. I thought it was easier than their Sienna for access. The car had 51K when I did the fluid, I plan on 30K fill/drains with WS. It was easier than I thought, but the fill procedure was a little tricky. I overfilled by an ounce or two just as a CYA.

My wife's new (well, new to us) 2015 Sienna has a sealed lifetime tranny...I'm not doing anything with it...the vehicle came with a lifetime warranty and breaking open the tranny would void the warranty...

Originally Posted By: grampi
My wife's new (well, new to us) 2015 Sienna has a sealed lifetime tranny...I'm not doing anything with it...the vehicle came with a lifetime warranty and breaking open the tranny would void the warranty...

It does have a 60,000 mile tranny fluid change interval for vehicles operated under "special conditions". Many of these transmissions are only "sealed" by a removable drain bolt, but I'm not up on the Toyota products.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: grampi

It does have a 60,000 mile tranny fluid change interval for vehicles operated under "special conditions". Many of these transmissions are only "sealed" by a removable drain bolt, but I'm not up on the Toyota products.

The task of draining the fluid isn't hard, there's a "check" plug with a 6mm that covers the fluid level standpipe which also doubles as the fluid drain - the same 6mm hex/Allen will remove that as well. There's a 24mm fill plug on the wheel side of the tranny. Make sure the standpipe is reinstalled.

There are two schools of thought about the fluid level check - both need the tranny fluid between 100-113*F. The first way is to pull the 6mm check plug while the car is running and level and either let it drain to a trickle or add fluid until it trickles out. The second way is to pull a vacuum on the tranny case and install the official "level check device(https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/98051/T-SB-0036-13)" to the oil pan and see where the level lands on it.

There's a few threads of the DIY fluid change, your Sienna's tranny is quite similar:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-ca...0-camry-v6.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-...eplacement.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back