Seafoam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i been reading up on seafoam lately and i heard it works miracles in other forums. but here its all auto-rx? i'm not sure why? whats the difference between them two?

I was looking at a can of Seafoam this afternoon in a store.

It says it can be added to either oil or gas.

This forum location is a good one for it.

I'd also like to read some responses from those who've used it.
thumbsup.gif
popcorn2.gif

Seafoam is old fashioned solvent.
Auto Rx has modern chemistry and a better product.
I suppose any cleaner is better than none, so some good results would be had with either.
Do you have a particular need?

Quote:

so i been reading up on seafoam lately and i heard it works miracles in other forums. but here its all auto-rx? i'm not sure why? whats the difference between them two?

One of the things you will notice about this forum is that Auto-RX is a favorite product. So much so that for any most any issue, it is usually recommended by someone that Auto-RX will fix the problem. Please note that Auto-RX doesn't actually make the claim, but some of the more overly zealous users do.

As for me, I have used both Seafoam and Auto-RX in the crankcase and Seafoam in the gas tank. I can honesty say that both products do clean. The Auto-RX supporters will say that everything else is a harsh solvent and no good will come from using the other stuff.
nono.gif

I say that everything has it's time and place. Sometimes the other guys stuff will work fine (at a much lower entry price) and sometimes you may need the more expensive stuff.

As for how much each product cleans and the level of value each product brings to the table, it will be debated on this board until the cows come home.
smirk.gif

From my experience Seafoam works good for doing the old suck it up through the vacuum hose on the intake, then go drive it out technique. Otherwise Techron and similiar cleaners work better when added to gas tank

Easy guys! I specifically asked if there was a particular need, [knowing full well the use of both products].
How does that get removed/forgotten/overlooked?
Also consider that plain water will clean the CC and valves pretty well, when ingested through a vacuum line. I'd use that first before I'd use Seafoam.

I agree w/ Craftsman - all these cleaners have their place. And I would add another - Neutra #131 from Schaeffer oil. It is apparently an ester based slow cleaner as is A-rx - however Neutra is specified (by Shaeffers) to be used for 500 miles in the crankcase. So if you're a little impatient w/ the A-rx cycle (as I am) then this could be the slow cleaner your looking for. My vans consumption was halved in my first 500 mile run w/ Neutra. Though I must add that I used Amsoils flush at the end of the Neutra run. So it's a bit convoluted on which did the trick. Meanwhile, I just finished a second run of Neutra, and will do a third run over the thanksgiving holidays where my van will see 800 miles in just a few days. A Toyota Master tech recommended this regimen with Neutra (12oz of Neutra for three runs of at least 500 miles each (at the end of shortened OCIs) - though the company stated regimen is only one run). Neutra is primarily designed as a fuel tmt - here's the product data sheet -

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/131.pdf

The Schaeffer line of oils as well as Neutra have an excellent reputation on BITOG (from my readings).

Neutra cost about $16+/gallon.

I've you're going to use a product along the lines of Seafoam, don't waste your money and buy Berryman Chemtool instead. It's a HECK of a lot stronger than Seafoam.

These days I would use neither in the crankcase. But I still love Chemtool in the CC and the gas tank. Neutra for 500 miles didn't do much for me. Seafoam has never done much for me....Chemtool as a flush did little for me except cause my dry oil pump to make some nice scraping sounds. I haven't bought any chemtool lately b/c I have been trying to get rid of all the Neutra I bought. But if I could go with two addditives/cleaners, it'd be arx for the crankcase and Chemtool for the gas. It just works better than Seafoam.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back