SD9 vs.the.M&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
What benefit does the m and p offer over the sd9 for a bedside hd firearm that will offer serve as a primary range gun with the goal of upgrading to a second g23 or m&p in 40sw down the line (9mm for the lady for less recoil and slightly lower cost at the range and the 40 for me later).

I know the addage buy nice and cry once but with the goal of two firearms down the line plus the good things ive heard of the s&w sd line I don't think you can go wrong.

Think long and hard as there are lots of options for you. I'm an armorer for Glock and the M&P line. I own a SD45, Glocks, and 2 M&P's. I view the M&P kinda like someone took the Glock design and copied much of it and put in a few upgrades so to speak. Main difference is the stainless steel chasis. Keeps frame pretty rigid.

All 3 in 9mm are excellent choices. I would nock out the XD mererely because of the lack of aftermarket parts lack of support from Springfield. They really don't want you messing around with their gun. They want you to return it to them! There is a ton of ino out there on M&P and lots of aftermarket parts. APEX Trigger kits are great in the M&P (I have 2 of the kits installed). If you decide M&P 9 don't go the used route as many of the 9mm barrels showed very poor accuracy.

All 3 of these firearms are on the same level of quality and performance. I'd recommend you/wife shoot each one first. Fit means a lot!

I'd also recommend you consider a Glock 19 (9mm) for wife and a G22 for you later on. Best factory trigger of the 3, cheapest and plentiful supply of magazines, amazing amount of aftermarket components available. But that is just my opinion and worth what it cost.

I was looking at an SD9. They are neat weapons but I don't like the trigger. It breaks too far back and too sudden.

I held an M&P Shield and it was a much smoother gun overall. I'd recommend that over the SD9 if you care to spend an extra $100-$200.

If you haven't already done so, go to a local gun shop and dry fire an SR9, an SD9, an XD9, a Glock 9mm, and an M&P9 all back-to-back. Even better if you can find a range where you can rent/shoot each type.The triggers of these striker-fired handguns all feel very different. Some break cleanly with little take-up, some are long and crunchy. All have their own benefits and their own drawbacks, and which is 'better' really depends on what you are looking for, what you are accustomed to, and how well you shoot with each type.

IMO, the 'feel' of the trigger and how you manage/adapt to the trigger pull is one of the most important aspects of striker-fired handgun selection. Unless, of course, you plan to customize the trigger later on.

As others have mentioned, the reasons to get the M&P over the SD are:
1) Better trigger out of the box for the M&P, plus better aftermarket trigger upgrades
2) Magazines are easier to find (although M&P mags have been rare recently)
3) More accessories available for the M&P. Holsters, sights, parts, etc. are more plentiful for the M&P.

Skip the steak and beer for a month or two and save your pennies for the M&P over the SD.

If it fits your hand, also take a look at a Glock 19, 17, or 34 (all are 9mm). If you want a steel gun, a CZ-75B or CZ SP-01 are good choices too. If you're price sensitive, a CZ won't work as prices have gone up on them in recent years.

Don't neglect what fits your hand best. An XD feels like it was made for my hand. Also check how the guns point for you without using sights. Just point it at something, then check where you are actually aimed. I point high with Glocks for example. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back