Glock Parts Fit In A S&W, And Vice Versa

Many of you know about the lawsuit Glock settled out of court with S&W back in 1997. Well, S&W was still allowed to make its SIGMA pistol, which later became the SDVE Series and SD Series. There are several parts that can be interchanged between some Glocks and the SD/SDVE line of firearms. Such as, the firing pin spring cups, the firing pin spring, trigger springs, and the slide take down lever along with its spring.
A few weeks ago I was installing a Wesbaun spring kit into my SD9. Upon removing the cups that hold on the firing pin spring, the spring caused one (2 total) of the cups to fly into oblivion. So, I called S&W the next morning and they were going to send me 2 more, free of charge (normally .63 cents each). But, it would take 7-10 business days to receive them. I got on the interweb and ordered 4 Glock cups (they looked identical to my S&W cups) from EBAY for $4 and free shipping. They would arrive in 3 days. I wasn't sure if they would fit, but if they didn't I was only out of $4. THEY FIT!
The ONLY difference between the S&W cups and the Glock cups are, the S&W cups are white and the Glock cups are black.
CUPS.jpeg

Those first Sigma's were garbage. Glock did more damage to S&W by letting them continue building them LOL. If today's M&P had been available in 1990, I doubt Glock would have such a huge chunk of the LE market now.

Those first Sigma's were garbage. Glock did more damage to S&W by letting them continue building them LOL. If today's M&P had been available in 1990, I doubt Glock would have such a huge chunk of the LE market now.
My SIGMA SW40VE had a trigger that was miserable! 12.5 lb. pull. I didn't shoot it much and sold it about a year later.
In 2010 S&W came out with the SD9/SD40. So, now you have the Sigma, SD, and M&P. S&W was losing money from people not buying the M&P, so they took the Sigma and SD, combined them, which gave us the SDVE Series. In 2012 Academy Sports teamed up with S&W to bring back the SD9/SD40 in all black. Compared to the SDVE Series, the SD has HI-VIZ sights, a more aggressive grip, and a better trigger. The SDVE Series has the black polymer frame with a cheesy looking SS slide.
SD9.jpeg

I totally agree the Sigma was garbage. Certainly in the top 10 of worst pistols ever from a reputable manufacturer. I would hesitate with the Glock LE market statement though. I have multiple Glock's and 2 M&P full size pistols. LE armorer for both platforms. S&W did a great job mirroring much of the Glock but IMHO they ended up doing what most manufacturers do....put more parts and "engineering" into something they didn't need too. I'm saying, and it's just my opinion, that they ended up missing the whole point and the reason for the Glock's success --- simplicity. The chassis seemed to be a great concept and I like it but how many weaker Glock chassis failed? Ya. I cannot speak to the 2.0 versions as I've not messed with them. I do feel they missed the boat on the 1.0's triggers. There is a reason Apex sold so many of their replacement triggers. Glock triggers are simply....simple. 3.5lb Ghost connector with a NY grey trigger spring and shoot 1k rounds. You end up with a smooth and reliable 4.5 to 5lb trigger for cheap.

Anyway, I will go backwards a bit and admit that I can fully understand one of the modifications S&W did perform on the M&P series. That you don't need to pull the trigger on the slide to release it from the receiver for cleaning. Many not so familiar with firearms in the administration and the political world love that selling point. I do personally disagree with the premises as I have always felt that the true "safety" is between the ears and am always concerned when there is a mechanical "crutch" to not positively clearing a chamber before disassembly. Obviously this excluded drop safety, firepin block, etc...

I totally agree the Sigma was garbage. Certainly in the top 10 of worst pistols ever from a reputable manufacturer. I would hesitate with the Glock LE market statement though. I have multiple Glock's and 2 M&P full size pistols. LE armorer for both platforms. S&W did a great job mirroring much of the Glock but IMHO they ended up doing what most manufacturers do....put more parts and "engineering" into something they didn't need too. I'm saying, and it's just my opinion, that they ended up missing the whole point and the reason for the Glock's success --- simplicity. The chassis seemed to be a great concept and I like it but how many weaker Glock chassis failed? Ya. I cannot speak to the 2.0 versions as I've not messed with them. I do feel they missed the boat on the 1.0's triggers. There is a reason Apex sold so many of their replacement triggers. Glock triggers are simply....simple. 3.5lb Ghost connector with a NY grey trigger spring and shoot 1k rounds. You end up with a smooth and reliable 4.5 to 5lb trigger for cheap.

Anyway, I will go backwards a bit and admit that I can fully understand one of the modifications S&W did perform on the M&P series. That you don't need to pull the trigger on the slide to release it from the receiver for cleaning. Many not so familiar with firearms in the administration and the political world love that selling point. I do personally disagree with the premises as I have always felt that the true "safety" is between the ears and am always concerned when there is a mechanical "crutch" to not positively clearing a chamber before disassembly. Obviously this excluded drop safety, firepin block, etc...

Agree on the M&P 1.0 triggers being terrible. But even worse is that the trigger reset on the 1.0s (on the later sear housing block) is stuck in "crap mode" and can't be adjusted unless you want to risk fiddling with the trigger bar. My M&P 9 1.0 luckily had the old sear housing block, which allowed me to install the Apex RAM (along with the FSS trigger kit) so it breaks clean and light and has a very tactile and audible reset.

But if S&W had put the Glock trigger into the M&P, it would have been great.. especially the super tactile reset of Glock triggers.

Agree on the M&P 1.0 triggers being terrible. But even worse is that the trigger reset on the 1.0s (on the later sear housing block) is stuck in "crap mode" and can't be adjusted unless you want to risk fiddling with the trigger bar. My M&P 9 1.0 luckily had the old sear housing block, which allowed me to install the Apex RAM (along with the FSS trigger kit) so it breaks clean and light and has a very tactile and audible reset.

But if S&W had put the Glock trigger into the M&P, it would have been great.. especially the super tactile reset of Glock triggers.
I thought it was the early M&P's before 2010 with this problem. The newly revised Sear Block assembly being put in all M&P's after 2010 addresses and fixes the "dead trigger" issue. :unsure:

I thought it was the early M&P's before 2010 with this problem. The newly revised Sear Block assembly being put in all M&P's after 2010 addresses and fixes the "dead trigger" issue. :unsure:

No idea about the dead trigger thing, but that Apex RAM in an older M&P helps the trigger reset immensely.

I used to own a M&P45 that had the later sear housing block and while I was able to install an Apex trigger into it, the reset couldn't be improved so I resorted to slightly bending the trigger bar which gave it a verrrrrrrrrrry small 'click' on reset.. almost inaudible.

No idea about the dead trigger thing, but that Apex RAM in an older M&P helps the trigger reset immensely.

I used to own a M&P45 that had the later sear housing block and while I was able to install an Apex trigger into it, the reset couldn't be improved so I resorted to slightly bending the trigger bar which gave it a verrrrrrrrrrry small 'click' on reset.. almost inaudible.
Ah, okay. I now know what you're referring to. I too installed an APEX trigger into my favorite LE trade in 40 caliber 1.0. I had to adjust the trigger bar loop to get the proper reset. I think it was factory .006". I had to open the loop to .012" for the correct reset.

If today's M&P had been available in 1990, I doubt Glock would have such a huge chunk of the LE market now.
Fully agree with that statement. I have a couple of Shields v1.0 and a few full size and compact v2.0 and those 2.0 pistols are outstanding for the price. In fact, for the money, I am not sure there is anything in that space that comes close.

Back