Pennzoil 15 year 500,000 miles protection claim

What a claim!

Pennzoil-Platinum-Full-Synthetic-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart_eed8c39b-4b98-4466-a053-224f75700060....jpg

It's probably true. Probably true for any good quality oil. I've had no problem getting to 15 years with a variety of oils. Never hit 500,000 miles, but many others have.

The fine print will probably specify a reasonable (but fairly short) change interval and exclusive use of this product. And there will be exclusions for non oil related failures (cooling or coolant related, broken timing belts, etc). Lubrication related engine failures must be fairly rare.

It's probably true. Probably true for any good quality oil. I've had no problem getting to 15 years with a variety of oils. Never hit 500,000 miles, but many others have.

The fine print will probably specify a reasonable (but fairly short) change interval and exclusive use of this product. And there will be exclusions for non oil related failures (cooling or coolant related, broken timing belts, etc). Lubrication related engine failures must be fairly rare.
That'd take me 50 years!

Are not all the various brand name motor oils (e.g. Mobil, Havoline, Castrol, SuperTech, Amazon Basic, Kirkland, etc.) warranted such that if their oil causes a lubrication related breakdown and the engine requires repair due to the failure of the oil, then the oil company or marketer of the oil will pay for the repair/replacement of the engine?

I remember in the early 1980s when Quaker State had a formulation problem that caused some of their oils to not flow properly at low temperatures and they wound up buying quite a few engines for people who used their products.

If I'm looking at this right from plain sight average joe view, they're saying you have to exclusively use their oil for 15 years or 500,000 miles to be validated to their marketing warranty claim in which I see this virtually impossible since supply issues will make an owner go with an alternative brand oil temporary before going back with this...

I see this more or less a vendor lock in ad. Yeah use our oil ONLY to make the claim.
Yeah no thanks lol.

Back