Have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without internal engine problems

Have a 2005 Element 219k, 2004 Expedition 196k, 1993 C1500 159k, all going strong. My kids have a 1998 C280 ~170k and 2008 SLK280 75k going strong as well. Yet we have not owned them for more than a few years but none have been opened up for major issues. C1500 and Expedition have had low intake manifold gaskets replaced due to coolant leaks. Expedition had to have manifold replaced as well due to dumb plastic manifold Ford thought was a good idea.
Also have a 94 Dakota 160k w strong engine but dropped OD and 92 Cutlass Supreme that has a electrical issue thanks to my kid running it through a large puddle on the NJ turnpike, now. But she was issue free at 232k miles previous to that. These last 2 have been in the family since 2017 and 2016

Yup. Slant 6's jeep 4.0s and 318s.... They should have made it mandatory that they NOT stop producing these engines... And though I'm a die hard, the ford 300 and 302, and the gm 283, 327 and 350s belong in that same category too.
Wouldn't take a Toyota or Honda or Kia or Hyundai or Nissan on a dare even if for free.

I had a 1996 Maxima 5 speed manual that had no internal engine problems and very few other problems. I bought it with about 15k miles and it had roughly 200k miles on it when I let it go. It saw redline in a regular basis and ran like a champ as long as I had it.

It never had any issues other thab regular maintenance items (belts, hoses, brakes etc). It also never needed oil between changes. In the beginning I did all my own oil changes with Mobil 1. Then I lived in places where I couldn't do it myself and it got whatever the quick lube places out in it.

I had a 1996 Maxima 5 speed manual that had no internal engine problems and very few other problems. I bought it with about 15k miles and it had roughly 200k miles on it when I let it go. It saw redline in a regular basis and ran like a champ as long as I had it.

It never had any issues other thab regular maintenance items (belts, hoses, brakes etc). It also never needed oil between changes. In the beginning I did all my own oil changes with Mobil 1. Then I lived in places where I couldn't do it myself and it got whatever the quick lube places out in it.
A mechanic I worked with had a 95 3.0 5 speed also, and he drove the crap out of that car. He stripped the interior towards the end because it was so rusted out...he was scrapping it anyway but he took it to the local 1/4 mile track and ran 14s I think.
He also had a 2001 Silverado 4.8 2wd, he bought with 555,000kms and scrapped it several years later with 640,000kms (400k miles). He drove it just as hard. It had a ton of piston slap cold and the 4L60E trans was starting to get soft but it kept going. He just didn't want to weld the other side of the frame when it rusted out also.

I came across this description of an engine warranty from Pennzoil for 15 years or 800,000 km. (Roughly 500,000 miles)
It’s not so much the warranty, but have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without any internal engine problems?

My 2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton with a 6.0 LS engine is now 15 years old and has not ( knock wood) had any engine problems except for worn out engine accessories not dependent on oil lubrication. It has just short of 250,000 miles. I used mostly Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and for the last few years have been using PP Euro 5w40 and PP Euro LX 0w30 in the winter. It’s only a coincidence that I used mostly Pennzoil products. ( or not). I was attracted to the Pennzoil rebates mostly, but it looks like Pennzoil has served me well. Perhaps others can chime in with their 15 year experience.

View attachment 144809
Yep, 2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8. It has had no internal issues, at all. Externally, outside of maintenance, it has needed an alternator, water pump (lifetime warranty replaced it), coil pack, upper oil pan gasket (lifetime warranty), and valve cover gaskets (warranty). It runs like new at 182k miles. It's been a rock solid engine.

A mechanic I worked with had a 95 3.0 5 speed also, and he drove the crap out of that car. He stripped the interior towards the end because it was so rusted out...he was scrapping it anyway but he took it to the local 1/4 mile track and ran 14s I think.
He also had a 2001 Silverado 4.8 2wd, he bought with 555,000kms and scrapped it several years later with 640,000kms (400k miles). He drove it just as hard. It had a ton of piston slap cold and the 4L60E trans was starting to get soft but it kept going. He just didn't want to weld the other side of the frame when it rusted out also.

That 3.0 in the Maxima was one tough engine! I was hard in it and it never missed a beat.

Only the Ford Taurus in the signature has not had issue.

@Oillover I bought my E30M20B27 (that's the "ETA" engine with 4800RPM redline. M20) with a blown head gasket or some kind of cooling issue and that car lasted until it met a non-mechanical related demise 4 years after I got it. Always ran hot...

Last edited:
BMW M20 2.5.

I've owned it 20 of it's 35 years.
Only major repair it needed was a headgasket.
Aside from that, just timing belts and valve adjustments.
No leaks or consumption on everything from 5w40 to 20w50

I came across this description of an engine warranty from Pennzoil for 15 years or 800,000 km. (Roughly 500,000 miles)
It’s not so much the warranty, but have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without any internal engine problems?

My 2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton with a 6.0 LS engine is now 15 years old and has not ( knock wood) had any engine problems except for worn out engine accessories not dependent on oil lubrication. It has just short of 250,000 miles. I used mostly Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and for the last few years have been using PP Euro 5w40 and PP Euro LX 0w30 in the winter. It’s only a coincidence that I used mostly Pennzoil products. ( or not). I was attracted to the Pennzoil rebates mostly, but it looks like Pennzoil has served me well. Perhaps others can chime in with their 15 year experience.

View attachment 144809
Yes- 2005 F150 I bought new- still ticking. 230K

Attachments

• CACEC7F7-BED6-4509-AD55-F9BD11EB8897.jpeg
    CACEC7F7-BED6-4509-AD55-F9BD11EB8897.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4
I haven't owned it for that long but I have a 2006 Corolla with 90,000 miles that runs like it's new. Chicago rust is what will probably do this car in.

Back