Have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without internal engine problems

... My opinion only from experience - Ford cars suck, but they do (or at least used to) build excellent trucks.
Just about every Panther car out there (Crown Vic; Grand Marquis; Town Car) would beg to differ. You can drive those cars into the ground and they still will be running when you walk away. In my area (Indy), there are CVPIs still in service in many LE agencies to this day, and they quit making that vehicle in 2011! Taxis Panther cars can be found with 400k or 500k miles on them.

But, to your point, Panther cars are just glorified trucks with a trunk. (simple v-8; body on frame; rear wheel drive). A proven formula for success.

Last edited:
I've owned my Club Sport since new(1995); it was my HPDE instructor car from 1996-2012. The only thing I've replaced on the motor was a timing chain tensioner. I did that as a precaution when an upgraded part became available. It cost less than $100 and took @30 minutes to repeat.
I've owned the Wrangler since 2002; no issues with that motor either.

not quite 15 years, but 2010 civic with about 260k on it. Does not burn a drop of oil. No engine work outside routine valve lash adjustment. Transmission shifts like it did on Day1. All the rubber trim pieces are dry rotted though. I have a friend with a 2006 Civic (same Gen as ours) that has 379k on it. Only maintained at dealer every 10k. This generation civic is pretty reliable. I see many of them on the road in this area.

No rust on body or under it and we live in NE.

never had an oil related failure that wasn't my fault... aka back in the day I was driving my high mileage GMC Exxon Valdez Edition and got caught in the middle of nowhere with low oil level in it, so I decided to see if it would make it home( it didn't). pretty much all of them lasted more than 200,000 miles a one of them 300,000 miles before I was so sick of them I got rid of them. Closest thing I had to an engine failure was a cracked piston in a 4.3 Chevy V6, which never stopped it from running or was oil related but it sure got noisy... a 9 dollar piston and a set of rings and a head gasket was all it took to quiet it down...

never had an oil related failure that wasn't my fault... aka back in the day I was driving my high mileage GMC Exxon Valdez Edition and got caught in the middle of nowhere with low oil level in it, so I decided to see if it would make it home( it didn't). pretty much all of them lasted more than 200,000 miles a one of them 300,000 miles before I was so sick of them I got rid of them. Closest thing I had to an engine failure was a cracked piston in a 4.3 Chevy V6, which never stopped it from running or was oil related but it sure got noisy... a 9 dollar piston and a set of rings and a head gasket was all it took to quiet it down...
That reminds me of the 83 Delta 88 I bought for a winter beater $300. The 307 ran perfect except for a tick which was coming a worn rocker arm bridge. We found a 307 in the junkyard and took half of its rocker arm bridges, and put the best set on my car (just the one bank) and it ran perfectly quiet after that. Used it for one winter and then it got sacrificed in a demolition derby type of event.

My daily driver is an 03 Civic that I bought new. This September it will turn 20. I've had a few costly repairs done in the past few years - head gasket, clutch and MT rebuild (input shaft and clutch release bearings went bad). Other than that, normal maintenance. I've been very happy with it and hope to drive it at least another 5 years.
02 Camry v6 130,000 mi. no engine problems

most of my cars and trucks have went 15 years without any engine work except stuff like spark plugs or a water pump.

02 Camry v6 130,000 mi. no engine problems
Nice. Low miles for an 02. My 03 Civic has 170k miles (which is still considered low miles for the age). The issues my car developed didn't start til the car was 17 years old and had 160k miles.

YES three Hondas that I have owned....NO on a pt cruizer and dodge grand caravan...

2008 Jeep Compass Sport, with 2.4 GEMA engine (Japanese design but built in Canada).
Never had a lick of trouble with that motor. Only thing that went out was the ECM and the bearing on the alternator, which I knew about as reported issues. I always did regular maintenance of spark plugs, coils, belts, filters and fluids. Original transmission...no issues either.

That engine really did well on 5w20 PYB and Mobil 1. Sold it recently with 131,000 miles (heartbroken)

Yes, a 98 Ford F-150 that I bought new. It has the 4.6L V8. It got M1 5w-30 every 5k miles for the first 100k miles or so then Supertech synthetic since then. It has right at 250k on it now and still runs good with regular maintenance. Only real issue was a blown spark plug at 20 years and 230k miles. It's mostly just a ranch truck now.

I came across this description of an engine warranty from Pennzoil for 15 years or 800,000 km. (Roughly 500,000 miles)
It’s not so much the warranty, but have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without any internal engine problems?

My 2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton with a 6.0 LS engine is now 15 years old and has not ( knock wood) had any engine problems except for worn out engine accessories not dependent on oil lubrication. It has just short of 250,000 miles. I used mostly Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and for the last few years have been using PP Euro 5w40 and PP Euro LX 0w30 in the winter. It’s only a coincidence that I used mostly Pennzoil products. ( or not). I was attracted to the Pennzoil rebates mostly, but it looks like Pennzoil has served me well. Perhaps others can chime in with their 15 year experience.

View attachment 144809

I came across this description of an engine warranty from Pennzoil for 15 years or 800,000 km. (Roughly 500,000 miles)
It’s not so much the warranty, but have you owned a vehicle for 15 years without any internal engine problems?

My 2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton with a 6.0 LS engine is now 15 years old and has not ( knock wood) had any engine problems except for worn out engine accessories not dependent on oil lubrication. It has just short of 250,000 miles. I used mostly Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and for the last few years have been using PP Euro 5w40 and PP Euro LX 0w30 in the winter. It’s only a coincidence that I used mostly Pennzoil products. ( or not). I was attracted to the Pennzoil rebates mostly, but it looks like Pennzoil has served me well. Perhaps others can chime in with their 15 year experience.

View attachment 144809
We've had a number of cars that made fifteen years before we got rid of them. Internal engine problems were never an issue. General wear and tear were. The Pennzoil warranty offer is no more than a marketing straw man and were anyone to attempt to collect I'd think that the documentation requirements would be insurmountable.

Just about every Panther car out there (Crown Vic; Grand Marquis; Town Car) would beg to differ. You can drive those cars into the ground and they still will be running when you walk away. In my area (Indy), there are CVPIs still in service in many LE agencies to this day, and they quit making that vehicle in 2011! Taxis Panther cars can be found with 400k or 500k miles on them.

But, to your point, Panther cars are just glorified trucks with a trunk. (simple v-8; body on frame; rear wheel drive). A proven formula for success.
And back when the world ran off of copper wire and face to face interactions - this platform was America’s “company car” …

We've had a number of cars that made fifteen years before we got rid of them. Internal engine problems were never an issue. General wear and tear were. The Pennzoil warranty offer is no more than a marketing straw man and were anyone to attempt to collect I'd think that the documentation requirements would be insurmountable.
For sure, and the point was that Pennzoil picked 15 years when most of us who kept a vehicle for 15 years, using different motor oils, really had no problems with any of the motor oils.

Back